All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. LOST6200

WD Rolls Out WD_Black For Gaming

Are the P series just the standard slowish 2.5" 5400 RPM drives with a different enclosure for marketing purposes, or are 7200 RPM as a Black drive should be? The spec sheet is glaringly thin. Will you guys receive one for testing and perhaps open the case for a peek?
  3. Yesterday
  4. Games are getting more complicated, come in higher resolution, and unfortunately need more capacity to store and use. While adding capacity to a PC is somewhat easier, upgrading the capacity of a console is more difficult and costly. Gamers sometimes have to delete or move games they play less in order to make room for current games or games with never ending DLC. WD is filling this need with its new WD_Black portfolio. WD Rolls Out WD_Black For Gaming
  5. Everyone wants their applications to work and respond quickly. There are a new batch of applications that need high speed and low latency. While these high-performance applications were once thought of something for the higher ends of enterprise, many in the midrange are using them now too. To this end, NetApp has announced the end-to-end NVMe EF600 series. The new series will double the performance of the current all-flash SAS-based arrays. The series is purpose-built for high-performance workloads, said to accelerate write IOPS and read/write throughput. NetApp Announced EF600 Series
  6. Data is growing rapidly and while it can all be useful; all data is not created equal. Buying a one-size-fits-all storage can be less than optimal while at the same time raise users’ costs. Druva offers a cloud-based intelligent tier storage solution that moves data to hot or cold storage to get the most band for users’ bucks without disruption. Druva claims this can result in a TCO reduction up to 50%. The intelligent storage tiering also offer end-to-end data protection through machine learning, policy management via one-click actions across all tiers, and easier management through a central dashboard to manage archiving, deletion and governance processes. Druva’s SaaS is built completely on AWS and leverages AWS cloud storage tiers like AWS S3, Glacier, and Deep Archive. Druva Announces Intelligent Storage Tiering & DR In AWS
  7. WPM is website monitoring software that SolarWinds states is built to find and fix internal and external site and app performance issues. WPM monitors complete performance including continuous synthetic transactions, detailed load-times, browser-based transactions, and it can monitor multiple locations. SolarWinds Announces WPM 3.0 & Pingdom
  8. LOST6200

HyperX Releases FURY DDR4 RGB

Oh, I really hope they don't do that with ECC.
  9. Last week
  10. Judah Richardson

How To: Affordable 10Gb Ethernet Discussion

Nice post. I've been wondering the same, but have been limited by a few things: None of my PCs have available slots for 10G cards None of my workloads currently need 10G I have some old castoff hardware whose internal transfer speeds are lower than even 1G. For example yesterday I ran luckyBackup on an OptiPlex 390 with a SATA expansion card, backing up my home folder on an SSD to a Btrfs RAID1 2x2TB HDD array. Logs said I hit 68 MB/s on average, which is pretty bad My backbone switch is a 16-port model. 16-port 10G switches start at 1200 USD
  11. Brian

HyperX Releases FURY DDR4 RGB

I'm either excited or sad for the day when server RAM has lights on it.
  12. The most eye-catching feature of the new HyperX FURY DDR4 RGB memory cards is their LED light bar. While I haven’t gotten a chance to see one yet, I expect it will probably look similar to the light bar on HyperX’s Predator DDR4 RGB memory. Like the Predator memory, users can customize the color of their FURY DDR4 RGB light bars with HyperX's NGenuity software as well as through lighting control software from some of the more popular motherboard vendors. The memory cards also support HyperX Infrared Sync, which allows the modules to remain synchronized without the use of cables. HyperX Releases FURY DDR4 RGB
  13. Cuttysark

Toshiba L200

Cable problem is fixed and still bad sustained write performance, so I have no doubts now that they are SMR, even as single drive write performance decreases after a while but like mentioned it's much more noticeable in a raid config, I have a 4 disk raid5 btrfs pool with theses disks, and transferring a large number of large video files (from a fast SSD pool) speed starts at around 300MB/s which is about what I expected, but after about 30 or 40GB transferred (maybe they have a small CMR zone?) it tanks to around 30MB/s and stays like that for the duration, I have other raid pools with CMR disks and transfer speeds remain consistent for the whole tranfer.
  14. You don’t need to have a massive media library or even a home lab that makes your dread your power bill every month to appreciate a fast network connection. The technology has finally dipped into the affordable range for many of us. If you are interested in experimenting with virtualization, iSCSI block storage, editing or even moving your gaming collection off your main drive – a high bandwidth connection to your other machines or servers just makes sense. We used a lot of QNAP gear in this project, there are of course other options. The ease of use and cost of the components used here though made for a great and cost effetive experience. How To: Affordable 10Gb Ethernet
  15. Cuttysark

Toshiba L200

Sorry for the late reply, but yes, you were right, these disks are definitely SMR, I have a few of them and it's especially noticeable on a btrfs raid5 pool, writes start fast enough but after a few GB transfer speed tanks. Turns out I had a cable problem with one of the disks, so the performance issues might be related to that, let me test some more and I'll post an update later.
  16. The production of 1z nm technology marks the development and mass production of the industry’s smallest feature size DRAM node. Micron’s new 1z nm 16Gb DDR4 is said to deliver higher bit density, performance enhancements, all the while coming in at a lower cost than 1Y nm node. The new technology is more proof of Micron’s strive to innovate in performance and power consumption for its compute DRAM (DDR4), mobile DRAM (LPDDR4) and graphics DRAM (GDDR6) product lines. The power and performance improvements in a smaller package will be ideal for emerging technologies like AI, autonomous vehicles, 5G, mobile devices, and gaming. Micron Mass Produces 1z Nanometer DRAM
  17. Probably SSDs will come, but they're still expensive and for the large block sequential type workloads most of these do, HDDs still are pretty respectable. I see these Lacie drives all over the place, especially in tech-havens like SanFran. They still hold a lot of mindshare with creative pros.
  18. The Dell Ultrasharp 34 Curved USB-C monitor is an elegant and streamlined piece of technology with a niche in the monitor market due to it’s ultra wide display, accurate colors, and USB-C. The monitor is aimed at creative professionals who do photo and video work. It offers multiple avenues of customization through accessories and software to satisfy users in any given environment. There are multiple mounting options with a provided stand and VESA holes. The Dell display manager adds another layer of useful customization. It manages the basics you’d find with any monitor and more advanced functions like easy arrange which allows you to customize your workflow and input manager to easily manage the PIP/PBP mode. Dell Ultrasharp 34 Curved USB-C Monitor (U3419W) Review
  19. Earlier
  20. I suppose these devices would be used for field video backups, but doesn't Seagate have any SSD availability? A 2+ lb. dual hard drive array seems rather old fashioned in 2019. SSDs would be so much smaller and lighter and not require all that heavy/bulky protective casing. I wonder if they are working on that.
  21. Let’s jump right into the big enhancements. Update 3 enables support for multiple NVIDIA GRID virtual GPUs (vGPU) per virtual machine. With several workloads now being graphic and compute intense, users will be able to easier run them in vSphere leading to performance increases and the speeding of jobs such as machine learning. The other big enhancement being the support for 2nd generation AMD EPYC processors. These new CPUs are already proving themselves in the performance arena as well as other benefits they offer. VMware goes on to state that the update to vSphere 6.7 will also provide performance enhancements to VMware vSAN. VMware Announces vSphere 6.7 Update 3
  22. Applications are changing. A large driving force of this change is microservices and the predominant deployment method for them, containers. While containers were originally designed for stateless applications, the need for storage persistence, has changed how containers are used. With this in mind, VMware has added container-ready infrastructure to the latest update to vSAN 6.7. VMware Announces vSAN 6.7 Update 3
  23. The Lacie Rugged Raid Shuttle is a new product that offers RAID desktop storage with the same ease of use as a traditional external hard drive. It is an extremely durable, high capacity, universally compatible solution for transporting large data files. The toughness of the design is essentially life proofed with drop, shock, water and dust resistance. There’s not much you have to worry about with this device. Using the provided USB cords the drive can be bus powered and transfer data up to 250MB/s. The drive comes in an 8TB capacity. Lacie Rugged Raid Shuttle Review
  24. Not really, unfortunately. Only with board rev 2.xx, which is not even released yet. No idea, how this provides "existing customers on the H11 gen systems a fast upgrade track" (quote from https://www.supermicro.com/en/pressreleases/supermicro-now-offering-amd-epyctm-7002-series-processor-based-systems-customers-who), as existing customers will certainly not have a rev 2.xx board. :-(
  25. The latest capacity of the Seagate IronWolf Pro line is a solid addition to the company’s Guardian Series. This NAS-specific drive gives users the highest capacity possible at relatively inexpensive price tag, while results from our performance charts reaffirm that the line is a good choice for SOHO, SME markets and creative professionals. Though it has many of the same features as the non-Pro line, the IronWolf Pro offers some expanded specs including its support of up to a 24-bay storage device (compared to 8 bays for the non-Pro version) and 1.2 million hours MTBF (compared to 1 million MTBF for the non-Pro version). Seagate IronWolf Pro 16TB NAS HDD Review
  26. How exactly are the 16TB EXOs different from the Iron Pros? I assumed the EXOS hardware was better to earn the higher MTBF and write ratings, but the performance seems somewhat worse. :( Which would you buy?
  27. All the comparison drives were other Seagates, in 14 or 16 TB. Perhaps some HGST, WD, and Toshiba 14s for comparison? Any update on the Toshiba 16 TB? It was announced months sooner, but I've yet to see it anywhere.
  28. Seagate has released its largest HDD, 16TB, with the Seagate Exos X16. A 3.5” form factor, the Exos X16 is stated to supply up to a third more petabytes per rack compared to 12TB drives, making it ideal for hyperscale applications/cloud data centers, scale-out data centers, Big Data applications, and distributed files systems such as Hadoop and Ceph. Seagate leverages a helium sealed construction to not only help hit the higher capacity, but to lower power costs as well as lower weight being sealed versus screwed shut (a small amount adds up in a rack). The drive comes with a 5-year limited warranty. Seagate Exos X16 16TB HDD Review
  1. Load more activity