All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Based on the performance of the benchmarks and the ad-hock testing that we performed on the system we feel that it would make a very good mid-range system for a demanding office user that uses typical office applications, does demanding web browsing, and plays streaming videos. The CPU and GPU in the system would work well as mid-range gaming or video and audio system. It should be noted that systems Type-C port gives this system the ability to work with eGFX enclosures. Intel NUC 8 Mainstream Kit (NUC8i7BEH) Review
  3. Kingston is putting together some pretty good drives in their SATA family. Nice to see...what should be relatively easy apparently is not.
  4. Yesterday
  5. The DC500M is one of Kingston's newest SATA SSD offerings designed for enterprises require greater write-performance generally found in a mixed-use workload environment. Available in capacities ranging from 480GB to 3.84TB, the DC500M features 3D TLC NAND, AES 256-bit Encryption and strict QoS requirements. It also has built-in ECC data integrity protection to safeguard against data corruption for end-to-end data protection, and on-board power loss protection during power failures via power capacitors and firmware. Kingston quotes an endurance figure of 9,110TBW for the 3.84TB model, sequential speeds up to 555MB/s read and 520MB/s write, and throughput going as high as 98,000 IOPS read and 75,000 IOPS write. Kingston DC500M Enterprise SSD Review
  6. Last week
  7. Vin V (VinnyVavoom)

In the Lab: Upgrade to VMware vSphere 6.7

Post ended up in wrong thread, just noticed. Deleting.
  8. TrueCommand uses iXsystems’ TrueNAS API set and is thus described by the company as a “central web-based command post” for admins to manage and monitor all TrueNAS systems on a network and their organization’s data, both in real time and across sites. Users will also be able to share access to alerts, reports, and control of the TrueNAS systems based on admin permissions. iXsystems TrueCommand 1.0 Released
  9. Running the bleeding edge of software has its advantages and its disadvantages. I have found that running beta software in my home lab to be useful in testing client solutions, that being said I work with IT for a living and can generally spend the time to fix problems when they arise. It's ultimately a gamble, but in this case I've enjoyed the new features with few headaches along the way. QNAP has done well to continually add to their QTS platform and the associated extra bundles. How to Install QNAP QTS 4.4.1 and Hybrid Backup Sync 3 Betas
  10. According to IDC, data will begin being generated at a rate of 103 zettabytes a year by 2023. Those numbers may go up before then. Data centers today leverage general-purpose architectures that are not up to the task of the coming data tsunami. Much of the data being generated or about to be is from video, IoT, Edge, and surveillance, all of which is sequential in nature and can be zoned into large chunks for better organizing and analyzing. This zoning of data can lead to better performance as well as lower TCO. Western Digital Launches Zoned Storage Initiative
  11. The Asigra FreeNAS solution also features a signature-less malware detection engine that identifies and quarantines unauthorized or malicious embedded code from penetrating backup and replication streams. It constantly scans all backed-up data so it can automatically prevent ransomware attacks from impacting the backup and recovery processes. Asigra Cloud Backup Evolved Plug-in for iXsystems’ FreeNAS Announced
  12. Of the new mobile solutions, the 15-inch ThinkPad P53 is their most powerful. Highlighted by NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000 GPU with RT and Tensor cores, the ThinkPad P53 allows engineers, architects and designers to access workflows that were normally carried out by a 17” mobile workstation. It also features Intel Xeon and 9th Gen Core class CPUs with up to eight cores (including the Core i9), up to 128GB of memory, and 6TB of storage. Lenovo Next Generation of ThinkPad P Series Mobile Workstations
  13. While “digital transformation” has become a nebulous buzz phrase in recent years that can mean quite a few different things, there definitely are digital trends causing many organizations to take action. For instance, many companies are moving to the public cloud for its economics and agility. No longer do they have to wait to have new hardware installed to take advantage of innovation nor do they have to worry about maintaining hardware. With this, the as-a-Service (aaS) model is also gaining in popularity. Keeping this in mind, Kaminario is continuing to improve its STaaS model. Kaminario Expands Its Storage-as-a-Service Offerings
  14. Microsoft and Oracle hope that by allowing customers to run one part of a workload within Azure and another part of the same workload within the Oracle Cloud, their partnership will deliver a best-of-both-clouds experience. The partnership aims to provide direct network connectivity between two clouds while continuing to provide the customer service and support that enterprises have come to expect from the two companies. One example of how this might work is that customers can now connect Azure services, like Analytics and AI, to Oracle Cloud services, like Autonomous Database. Another example is running Oracle E-Business Suite or Oracle JD Edwards on Azure against an Oracle Autonomous Database running on Exadata infrastructure in the Oracle Cloud. Microsoft Azure & Oracle Cloud Interconnect
  15. To help their customers leverage the full extent of NVMe-oF, Dell EMC has unveiled a new integrated Cisco compute (UCS) and storage (MDS) 32G options, which helps to extend PowerMax capabilities and thus NVMe performance across the VxBlock stack. Dell EMC indicates that this will enhance the architecture, high-performance consistency, availability and scalability of VxBlock. Dell EMC customers can now benefit from extreme end-to-end system performance with one, future-proof system. Dell EMC Expand VxBlock 1000 Integration Across Servers
  16. You're after something a little different...I do know someone worth your follow though - https://twitter.com/hyc_symas?lang=en
  17. Earlier
  18. The reason I'm interested in those numbers is because I'm developing a key-value store that benchmarks at about 1 microsecond latency when accessing a billion record store by key, so I'd like to know if they can get anywhere near that level.
  19. I hate to say it, but this is why most end users really need to think harder about data protection. This kind of problem shouldn't happen. But is has...maybe you have someone local to you that can repair the connector? Is the connector soldered on on that one? I can't remember what WD was doing at the time.
  20. It's my understanding that for this application those numbers aren't really relevant. So long as they're hitting under a millisecond, the system is happy and delivering enough performance.
  21. This week NetApp released the AFF C190 all flash storage array. Targeted at the needs of SMBs, the AFF C190 is designed to be a partner-led offering that enables NetApp to be more competitive down market where their exisiting storage arrays for the midmarket, like the A200 and A300, are simply too much. The NetApp AFF C190 runs on NetApp ONTAP software, meaning smaller organizations will have access to enterprise-class data services, hybrid cloud support, and data reduction technologies, which provides critical value for all-flash arrays. NetApp AFF C190 All-Flash Storage Array
  22. What is their actual latency like for 95th %-ile reads and updates? Sub-millisecond isn't very precise. Hundreds of microseconds maybe?
  23. Hej Guys! In advance: sorry for my bad English. I will try my best to describe my problem as understandable as possible. Feel free to answer in the same level of English, like you always do. Reading is way simpler than writing^^. Well,…I’ve got a WD Elements Portable (4TB) which suddenly had a loose connection. I immediately tried to save my Data but the connection went pretty fast from loose to no connection at all. Normally you would simply buy a new case but those geniuses at WD thought it would be great to give the HDD an own USB-Controller. The 2nd problem is WD data protection policy. Every HDD, which is sent to them to get repaired, is being formatted. I told them that it’s ok for me to have access to my data but they simply don’t care. That’s why I can’t sent it to WD to have it repaired by them while I still want my Data (like 200gb I would say) back. It’s a collection from the last years and I am kinda emotionally attached to them. That’s why I want them back. Now my question: Do you know someone who can help me? Someone who is able to replace the broken USB-Port (port not the controller as a whole)? Or someone how is able to build up a provisional connection to the HDD and copy my data to another HDD? Or can you tell me how to build that provisional connection? ^^ I hope I was able to describe my issue and request understandable and thank you very much for your time. Have a great night/day and best regards vyrnius
  24. Are these the first HAMR drives? Also, is it really the first shipping 16TB drive? Toshiba announced a 16TB conventional (non-HAMR) months ago, without a shipping date.
  25. This is one really good use case for PMEM, we're pretty excited to have been able to do this testing.
  26. Intel Optane DC persistent memory is an incredibly powerful part of the data hierarchy. Slotting in between RAM and storage, Intel's incarnation of persistent memory finally brings the technology mainstream. But just having access to a new storage technology isn't good enough, applications that can take advantage of persistent memory natively will have a huge competitive advantage. The flexibility we see with Aerospike shows they were ready out of the gate with app direct mode support (block storage) for Optane DC persistent memory. Further, they'll a leader in the NoSQL world when it comes to keeping both indexes and data on the persistent memory modules. While the latter is still an emerging vision, the early results look very promising. Intel Optane DC Persistent Memory NoSQL Performance Review
  27. As stated, iLand Autopilot Managed Recovery expands on the company’s DRaaS portfolio and is aimed at keeping businesses running and keeping their data available in the event of loss or downtime. With this solution customers will have a fully-managed DRaaS solution that meets specific business recovery objectives. iland Autopilot Managed Recovery for DRaaS Announced
  28. Well that's the thing, if you look at the IO patterns of a heavy web user, it starts to look really random really fast. The browser alerts are becoming more frequent too of "This tab is using a lot of system stinker man...close it or else!"
  1. Load more activity