judgmentday

15k.3 obsolete expectancy?

I was wondering if I buy this hard drive for my booting partition how long this hard drive last before it becomes obsolete?

With the new SATA hard drives coming to the market I'm thinking twice about the SCSI booting drive.

The new WD360 raptor hit already 5.3ms of seek time, that's only 1.4ms far from the 15k.3 unit which is 3.9ms. What if they develop another alternative to the current hard drives and at a similar price?

I was wondering if I buy this hard drive for my booting partition how long this hard drive last before it becomes obsolete?

With the new SATA hard drives coming to the market I'm thinking twice about the SCSI booting drive.

The new WD360 raptor hit already 5.3ms of seek time, that's only 1.4ms far from the 15k.3 unit which is 3.9ms.  What if they develop another alternative to the current hard drives and at a similar price?

This is the well known paradox - if you buy now, and something cheaper and faster comes in a month - then you could end up never buying anything at all.

Though the Raptor is a very quick disk, the new 15k disks from Maxtor and Fujitsu are the fastest disk currently in the world today - and I'll bet you Seagate has a 15k.4 up their sleeve - but the 15k.3 is the current best combination of raw speed, low seek noiselevels, almost dead quiet at idle and very cool running 15k SCSI drive.

But the SATA 10k Raptor drive would make a wonderful boot disk too - but don't expect SATA drives to beat high end 15k SCSI just yet. The Raptor may be cheaper, but scsi disk's come with a 5 year guarantee and are tested thoroughly resulting in fewer faulty SCSI disk compared to IDE and SATA disks.

The Raptor also comes with a 5 year warranty.

IMO, drives (or really, anything) become obsolete when it can no longer meet your needs. I still use an old WD200BB as my boot drive. Technically, it was obsolete years ago (got it new back in 1999). For me, though, it still does what I need and behaves, so it's just fine. :)

jUST REMEMBER, EVEN THOUGH THE RAPTOR IS NEW, it cannot replace more than 10 + years of scsi enginuity! Scsi is as the GM commercial says: "like a rock". So think twice about the new reaptor just yet! At least u know that scsi is proven a way more reliable than ATA based disks. Spend more now and pay less later. And besides are actually thinking that the human eye can really detect a few half millisecond differences, noooooooooo way man.

Ayway, buy the scsi and you'll be happier! And make sure that you buy adaptec cards, too seagate and adaptec are the leaders in the respective fields....

makita

And make sure that you buy adaptec cards,

Adaptec is not the most respected name in the SCSI business, contrary to popular SCSI newbie belief. Western Digital has made plenty of SCSI drives in the past, so they should know how to make enterprise-class mechanics that last. Whether they did or not remains to be seen, but they do have the knowledge to do so.

Guest Eugene
And besides are actually thinking that the human eye can really detect a few half millisecond differences, noooooooooo way man.

So... that means that the "human eye" can't detect the differences between billionths of a second, which is what the individual units rendered by gigahertz processors come out to.

Forgive the bluntness, but that argument has been advanced by countless novices as well as too many veterans... and has gone nowhere.

Hi issanjose,

do you have a scsi card already ?

No. I was looking at the one in Hypermicro (Seagate Cheetah 15K.3, 18.4 GB) for $209.00 plus a the LSI Logic U160 for $89.00 = $298.00 + shipping

The other thing is that the new motherboards with the new southbridge supports raid 0 and with the SATA built onboard perhaps there will not be delay on bootings as opposed to a SCSI adapter or a SATA adapter if I were to buy the WD360 since I don't have a motherboard that has the SATA connectors. For sure I want a faster booting drive. I'd like the Cheetah because I'm sure I'll get really good multitasking. I'll have to investigate about the wd360 with a new motherboard and lots of memory to see how this baby behaves. I guess either way will cost me more than $300.00 bucks.

I think most people would recommend going with Adaptec. Hypermicro has the AHA-19160 for $150, which is a great card. I don't know any real reason to get the $180 AHA-29160 unless you've got 64-bit PCI slots.

Adaptec cards are overpriced (I think $150 is what I paid for the 19160 almost two years ago), but they're the best and they have good support.

I got a $40 Diamond FirePort 40 (now they're $1 on eBay) that I used for a long time, though, and never had any big problems.

Everybody's going to have a different opinion, but SCSI is already unreasonably expensive from a performance standpoint. You're paying to get something that's the best and will last, so I'd get an Adaptec card. The adapter is the one thing you're really not going to have to worry about upgrading for several years.

To answer your main question, a new 15k drive won't be obsolete for a long time. If you get a Raptor, it'll be obsolete a little sooner, but by that time you'll be able to get a cheap motherboard with SATA and the Raptor will still make a good drive for a secondary machine.

I add my voice to the LSI vote. They make SCSI cards at least as well as Adaptec but never get the credit. However, that same lack of credit results in bargain adapters. I say LSI adapter with a 15k SCSI drive beats anything SATA can offer for at least a year or two. I'm still using my IBM 10k SCSI with an LSI adapter going on 3-4 years now. Just remember to mount the drive in a 5.25" bay if you can for the added cooling.

No.  I was looking at the one in Hypermicro (Seagate Cheetah 15K.3, 18.4 GB) for $209.00 plus a the LSI Logic U160 for $89.00 = $298.00 + shipping

If you're buying from Hyper Micro, mention SR in the comments of your order to get free UPS ground shipping (if you want such a beast). So, not necessarily any shipping charges. Just thought I'd mention it in case you weren't aware.

The difference between LSI and Adaptec, according to the enterprise hardware guys I know, is pretty much negligible.

I just finished setting up my 36.7GB Cheetah 15K.3 disk, works great with the LSI Logic U160 controller. Bought the controller ($69) and cable ($20) at www.scsi4me.com and the Cheetah ($320) at www.hypermicro.com.

And yes, Adaptec controllers are overpriced. LSI Logic is no newbie to SCSI, I think they have more experience than Adaptec. If I'm not mistaken, LSI Logic used to be known as, or was part of, NCR, which made big and expensive servers and mainframes ago.

beware what Adaptec card you buy

IIRC the 19160 is a windows-only card

Tekram is way cheaper and just as good

to jump on the LSI bandwagon, shop around and you should be able to find the LSI U160 for even less. I know ebay has them for around 60 with buy it now, and prolly for less with regular auctions. I recently replaced mine with a Mylex 170 to go RAID, but otherwise had a great experience with the controller. It's a good intro-to-scsi controller.

to jump on the LSI bandwagon, shop around and you should be able to find the LSI U160 for even less. I know ebay has them for around 60 with buy it now, and prolly for less with regular auctions. I recently replaced mine with a Mylex 170 to go RAID, but otherwise had a great experience with the controller. It's a good intro-to-scsi controller.

Is this one okey?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...7&category=3753

Perhaps they sale them without the cable. I heard that the cable alone is about $30~50.00.

Don't think so. Either that or the Linux box in work is running it's 36Gb 0k drive via telepathy. :P

judgement day, that card is fine. The picture is wrong, they have a dual channel pictured instead of a single channel, but whatever. As for cabling, get it from SVC.com. I have purchased three sets of cables and terminators from them, and everything has worked awesome. Their prices are the lowest AND the cables are rounded, which is an added plus. I just did a quick check, and for 23.33, you can get a 3 device cable and terminator shipped via priority mail.

Don't think so. Either that or the Linux box in work is running it's 36Gb 0k drive via telepathy. :P

ok... I don't think Adaptec supports the 19160 under anything else than Windows. Too lazy to go looking now but there is a model of Adaptec U160 controllers like this.

Do you guys know if Ghost 2003 sees the 15k.3 hard drive connected to the LSI Logic U160 card from DOS?  Thank you.

if there's a DOS driver for that controller then there should be no problem.

The new WD360 raptor hit already 5.3ms of seek time, that's only 1.4ms far from the 15k.3 unit which is 3.9ms.  What if they develop another alternative to the current hard drives and at a similar price?

Don't forget the difference in rotational latency. 15K < 10K, in addition to the seek times.

what's the rotational latency on a 15 k ? i know a 10K is roughly say .. 2.99ms . would a 15 k's latency be that much lower ? or