knut

ide hardware/software raid

I got a friend from school thats so damn stubborn. He means that his acard ata-133 raid is hardware based with a prosessor. And it's almost impossible to get him to think otherwise. Anyone got some nice sites that can get him to think otherwise?

And as a sidenote are there any recent reviews about different ide raid cards with cpu usage and performance?

Zooming in reveals it's an ACHIP ATP865-A.

http://www.acard.com/eng/product/semi/ide/atp865.html

This is a software raid card.

Interestingly, they also make a HW raid semiconductor

http://www.acard.com/eng/product/semi/ide/atp867.html

Which is a hardware solution. I do not see an adapter built around this one though.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

Thanks for the links, although to get him convinced he needs it written :(

Unfortunately this chip is not widely used, so it's almost impossible to find any useful information about it.

It is written.... In the link that I provided.

Possibly I missed something? Possibly your associate is just... well... erm.... misinformed? If that is the case, then why the need to prove to him that he is wrong? Just let it be.

Thank you for your time,

FranK Russo

as a general rule of thumb, software raid cards only support RAID 1, 0, or 0+1.

Raid cards that support RAID 5 or (and this is a biggy)have expandable amounts of cache are usually going to be hardware RAID cards.

Out of interest, what aspect of a RAID controller do people feel defines whether it is hardware or software based?

It is determined by whether the card has a processor on-board to handle all of the RAID translation calculations. A true hardware RAID card will be viewed by the OS as a giant harddrive and the driver will be relatively light and simple. A software RAID card will require the OS/CPU to do some calculations and it's driver will thus be more complex, not to mention the CPU useage will be higher. If you check the specs on most hardware raid cards they will list the processor used for the RAID calculations. I do suspect that some companies have a very liberal definition of hardware RAID, so if you can find a review of the cards you are considering so much the better.