tracker

don't let SARS keep you from seeing X2

A really nifty action-packed beginning which would give both terrorists and the Dixie Chicks a rush. Pretty complex for a plot but a great story just the same, with a shocker on Jean Grey near the end. X-Men is a rather tragic comic series for Marvel comic series. But hey, why listen to my ramble? Go watch this before Matrix Reloaded arrives

So you can get SARS from watching movies now?

There is a possibility of contracting SARS in crowded moviehouses, especially in parts of Asia and Canada. Some Chinese cities are already closing cinemas and internet cafes, and are banning weddings, conferences, and other mass gatherings for the meantime.

So you can get SARS from watching movies now?

There is a possibility of contracting SARS in crowded moviehouses, especially in parts of Asia and Canada. Some Chinese cities are already closing cinemas and internet cafes, and are banning weddings, conferences, and other mass gatherings for the meantime.

Now you're being funny... Dont let sars stop you from doing anything you want....

Its really just a nasty flu bug. the real ordinary every day flu kills more poeple every year than sars has/will.

...Its really just a nasty flu bug. the real ordinary every day flu kills more poeple every year than sars has/will.

Sure hope you're right. I'll have to travel through several Asian cities very soon and it's another thing to worry about.

Quote from Occupant2:

"Its really just a nasty flu bug. the real ordinary every day flu kills more poeple every year than sars has/will."

Actually Occupant2, you are right and wrong. You said 'has/will'. The 'has' part is right, but the 'will' part is still unknown.

It is true that Influenza kills many more people than SARS.

SARS has killed only about 80 people so far. Influenza kills between 250k and 500k every year. In 1918 somewhere around 45 million people died in a flu pandemic.

The problem is that SARS kills around 4% of the people it infects whereas influenza kills <1%. So if you had to pick your disease, the flu bug would be your choice... your odds of survival are much better. 1 in 20 versus 1 in 100. Plus, victims of SARS report that it 'hurts' a whole lot more than influenza. More muscle aches, that sort of thing.

So why all the hubbub? We just don't know enough about SARS to be comfortable yet.

There are many parallels between influenza and SARS. Both began in China and probably come from ducks/pigs. The WHO and CDC are worried that if SARS becomes as prevalent as influenza, with millions infected every year, then the death toll will be astronomical. If SARS became as widespread as influenza among the animal population, then the endtimes would be upon us. It would be like the plague of the middle ages.

Civilization would come to an end, dogs and cats would rain from the sky, hamsters and squirrels would scream in terror, and general pandemonium would break out in seedy trailer parks everywhere.

Quote from Occupant2:

"Its really just a nasty flu bug. the real ordinary every day flu kills more poeple every year than sars has/will."

Actually Occupant2, you are right and wrong. You said 'has/will'. The 'has' part is right, but the 'will' part is still unknown.

It is true that Influenza kills many more people than SARS.

SARS has killed only about 80 people so far. Influenza kills between 250k and 500k every year. In 1918 somewhere around 45 million people died in a flu pandemic.

The problem is that SARS kills around 4% of the people it infects whereas influenza kills <1%. So if you had to pick your disease, the flu bug would be your choice... your odds of survival are much better. 1 in 20 versus 1 in 100. Plus, victims of SARS report that it 'hurts' a whole lot more than influenza. More muscle aches, that sort of thing.

So why all the hubbub? We just don't know enough about SARS to be comfortable yet.

There are many parallels between influenza and SARS. Both began in China and probably come from ducks/pigs. The WHO and CDC are worried that if SARS becomes as prevalent as influenza, with millions infected every year, then the death toll will be astronomical. If SARS became as widespread as influenza among the animal population, then the endtimes would be upon us. It would be like the plague of the middle ages.

Civilization would come to an end, dogs and cats would rain from the sky, hamsters and squirrels would scream in terror, and general pandemonium would break out in seedy trailer parks everywhere.

I think the death toll from sars is around 250 (I heard that on the radio this morning, in the twilight zone of dieciding which would be worse, getting up and faceing the day, or just sleep thru it) so that could be off... Durring the 1918 pandemic, the flu killed about 20 million poeple, I havent heard 45 million quoted anywhere before. ( http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/health/marc.../1918_3-24.html ). Sars has killed about 395 poeple so far, ( I say about, because you can never be sure how the numbers are being reported.) worldwide. About 6% of those who contract it die, (the figure may rise because poeple dont bounce back as quickly, and may linger in hospital for several days before death)...

But this isnt nearly as scary as Ebola.

"From December through April, an outbreak of Ebola tore through a remote region of the Congo, eventually infecting 135 people, of whom 123 died—a mortality rate of 91 percent. Yet this outbreak received almost no media coverage." (from http://slate.msn.com/id/2082308/ )

http://www.mindspring.com/~cinque/ebola.html

Quote from Occupant2:

I think the death toll from sars is around 250 (I heard that on the radio this morning, in the twilight zone of dieciding which would be worse, getting up and faceing the day, or just sleep thru it) so that could be off... Durring the 1918 pandemic, the flu killed about 20 million poeple, I havent heard 45 million quoted anywhere before. ( http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/health/marc.../1918_3-24.html ). Sars has killed about 395 poeple so far, ( I say about, because you can never be sure how the numbers are being reported.) worldwide. About 6% of those who contract it die, (the figure may rise because poeple dont bounce back as quickly, and may linger in hospital for several days before death)...

But this isnt nearly as scary as Ebola.

"From December through April, an outbreak of Ebola tore through a remote region of the Congo, eventually infecting 135 people, of whom 123 died—a mortality rate of 91 percent. Yet this outbreak received almost no media coverage." (from http://slate.msn.com/id/2082308/ )

http://www.mindspring.com/~cinque/ebola.html

Occupant2:

You are right about the current # of deaths from SARS. From the WHO website, the current # is 372.

Here are my sources on the other contested information:

"The "Spanish flu" pandemic of 1918 killed between 40 million and 50 million worldwide, most of them young, healthy adults. The "Asian flu" and "Hong Kong flu" pandemics of 1956-1957 and 1967-1968 killed a combined 4.5 million people"

"Only SARS looks worse than ordinary flu. It kills between 3.5 percent and 4 percent of known victims -- a rate higher than the 1918 influenza epidemic, the worst flu epidemic in recorded history, in which 3 percent of patients died.

In an average year, influenza kills fewer than 1 percent of patients, experts said. "

source : National Library of Medicine Website

Also from the WHO website, more than 3000 children die EVERY day from Malaria in Africa.

WHO Malaria Press Release

Even the black death is still around, killing a few poeple per year in the Unitied States. Ebola I think is the deadliest virus out there, killing about 90% of its victims. If it ever gets into a major city, a good section of humanity will be killed.

supposedly....SARS can be avoided/cured with a regular amount of Vitamin C.........*shrugs*......IF....that is true....that would really throw the WHO for a loop! ha ha ha ha ha.....

So, hey, are we talking about X-Men or SARS here?

Anyway, great movie I thought. I like how the no-name “laymen” actors or actually smart and competent.

To many times I’ve seen movies where the no-name solders or cop does the stupidest thing and you wonder why on earth he did it.

In X-Men they act intelligently and decisively against the X-Men, just infectively. For instance the F-16’s agley weaving through Storms tornados to shoot down the X-Men’s jet. The single shot kill to Wolverines head by the no-name cop. The “special ops insertion” into the X-Mens “school.” They moved with military precision and urgency. While everyone was being incapacitated by that screaming chick, that no name solder still is able to raise his weapon to put her down.

I like the movies where the no-name’s have just as big a part to play in the plot as the high dolor actors and actresses.

Reminds me of point break when the lead actors are tracking the bank robbers throughout the entire movie but cant seem to catch up to them. Then that off duty cop is in the right place (or wrong) at the right time and shoots every one of them. Leaves you going, “Who was that?” I love movies like that.

...To many times I’ve seen movies where the no-name solders or cop does the stupidest thing and you wonder why on earth he did it.

In X-Men they act intelligently and decisively against the X-Men, just infectively. For instance the F-16’s agley weaving through Storms tornados to shoot down the X-Men’s jet. The single shot kill to Wolverines head by the no-name cop. The “special ops insertion” into the X-Mens “school.” They moved with military precision and urgency. While everyone was being incapacitated by that screaming chick, that no name solder still is able to raise his weapon to put her down.

I like the movies where the no-name’s have just as big a part to play in the plot as the high dolor actors and actresses.

Good point there, it adds to the "movie realism" as it convinces you that anything can happen, because the minor parts have real roles and can affect the flow of events. About the only thing I found less than best is the effects in scenes where Prof. Xavier telepathically freezes humans, which is too much like that used in Matrix.

I saw the film last night I was quite impressed with the graphic except for the dam sequence in the beginning of the film that was real bad news but otherwise it was impressive.

I saw the film last night I was quite impressed with the graphic except for the dam sequence in the beginning of the film that was real bad news but otherwise it was impressive.

The bursting dam finale was neat alright. The beginning sequence where Schroeder-Tigger bounced the Secret Service guards and almost knifed the President Bush lookalike was cool too.

I like X2 far more than the first X-men movie. The only part I didn't like was the matrix reloaded trailer that gave away way too much about the movie.