Davin

Fujitsu Mas3735

Seagate's Cheetah 15k.3 and Maxtor's Atlas 15k have both proven to deliver exceptional performance in both single-user and server scenarios. Is there room for Fujitsu's entry? Join us as we see how the firm's entry competes!

Fujitsu MAS3735 Review

I'm very impressed by the low level scores of this drive - it's a monster. It really would be interesting to see what a drive with low level stats like that would do with a workstation optimized firmware. It's certainly crushes a few skulls in the server tests as it is.

Dave

Seagate's Cheetah 15k.3 and Maxtor's Atlas 15k have both proven to deliver exceptional performance in both single-user and server scenarios. Is there room for Fujitsu's entry? Join us as we see how the firm's entry competes!

http://www.storagereview.com/welcome.pl/ar...9MAS3735_1.html

The STR graph looks very suspicious. There is no decay (the graph is totally smooth) until about half-way, then there is the normal decrease in STR. It almost looks like the controller or something is limiting its performance, because if you extrapolate STR from half-way on (supposing the drive's STR would decrease linearly like from 35GB-->73GB), then the drive looks like the STR could be closer to 90MB/s in the beginning.

Could there be an issue? Just curious.

The STR graph looks very suspicious. There is no decay (the graph is totally smooth) until about half-way, then there is the normal decrease in STR. It almost looks like the controller or something is limiting its performance, because if you extrapolate STR from half-way on (supposing the drive's STR would decrease linearly like from 35GB-->73GB), then the drive looks like the STR could be closer to 90MB/s in the beginning.

This issue was raised by some folks (and answered) in this thread.

Thanks!

This issue was raised by some folks (and answered) in this thread.

Thanks!

Thank you, Eugene.

To quote Eugene from the other thread:

Fujitsu tells me that outer zone rates should hit 79.2 MB/sec while inner zones should be 62.5 MB/sec. So, our sample seems to be on the money- the MAS seems to feature an unusually large first zone.

Regards,

Eugene

Here's a choice quote from my discussion with FCPA:

78MB/s is pretty reasonable number as sustained data transfer rate of MAS3735.

There are 705 blocks in one track in outer zone and track-to-track seek takes 0.5ms.

That is, we can roughly calculate sustained transfer rate as follows:

512bytes x 705blocks / (4ms + 0.5ms) = 80,213,333byte/s

In the meantime, same number of data blocks, 705, is allocated in one track about 40% of total cylinders from most outer. Therefore, sustained transfer rate doesn't change across nearly half its capacity.

Data zone layout is shown in the drive product manual, however, I'll show

it below for your reference.

Cylinder# Blocks/track

0 to 11,093 705

11094 to 12298 702

12299 to 14315 684

14316 to 16080 666

16081 to 17173 657

17174 to 19330 648

19331 to 20255 630

20256 to 21404 621

21405 to 22469 612

22470 to 24514 594

24515 to 26195 576

26196 to 26840 567

26841 to 27093 558

Regards,

Eugene

I just bought a 15k 73GB Fujitsu drive last week and I'm having trouble gegtting it to work with my Adaptec 29320r SCSI controller. I've been dying to test it out but haven't had much luck.

I'm trying to install Windows XP Pro on a new machine based on an Abit K7NX8 nforce2 board with an Athlon 3000+ cpu. During windows setup I'm asked to load third party drivers and I load the 1.0 drivers that came with my adaptec card. A minute or so later I get a message from windows that says the drive could not be found. I downloaded the newest 1.10 drivers off of adaptecs website andXP setup progress to the point that it lets me partition the drive and format in NTFS. It begins loading windows files, then when it gets to the first reboot point, it begins rebooting and after verifying DMI pool data I get ntlder and ntdetect error messages. It will not let me go any further than that. This indicates that there is some kind of problem with the boot.ini file. I'm not really sure where to go at this point. I've tried booting to the windows repair console and using fixmbr and fixboot with no success. I'm wondering if there is still some kind of problem with my scsi drivers? I have an Adaptec 19160 SCSI card I might through in to see if that solves anything.

Anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this? Thanks.

PS. The drive is set to SCSI ID 0 and is properly terminated.

Whenever I've had problems with SCSI controllers and SCSI drives working together, I've always looked for a firmware update for my controller card. Also, strangely enough updating the bios can often fix weird problems, although caution should be used because it can sometimes cause new weird problems.

Hope this helps.

I just bought a 15k 73GB Fujitsu drive last week and I'm having trouble gegtting it to work with my Adaptec 29320r SCSI controller.  I've been dying to test it out but haven't had much luck.

I'm trying to install Windows XP Pro on a new machine based on an Abit K7NX8 nforce2 board with an Athlon 3000+ cpu.  During windows setup I'm asked to load third party drivers and I load the 1.0 drivers that came with my adaptec card.  A minute or so later I get a message from windows that says the drive could not be found.  I downloaded the newest 1.10 drivers off of adaptecs website andXP setup progress to the point that it lets me partition the drive and format in NTFS.  It begins loading windows files, then when it gets to the first reboot point, it begins rebooting and after verifying DMI pool data I get ntlder and ntdetect error messages.  It will not let me go any further than that.  This indicates that there is some kind of problem with the boot.ini  file.  I'm not really sure where to go at this point.  I've tried booting to the windows repair console and using fixmbr and fixboot with no success.  I'm wondering if there is still some kind of problem with my scsi drivers?  I have an Adaptec 19160 SCSI card I might through in to see if that solves anything. 

Anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this?  Thanks.

PS.  The drive is set to SCSI ID 0 and is properly terminated.

I use a fujitsu 73gb 10k with a 29160 controller, and am extremely happy with its performance. Correct me if I am wrong, but the controller is 64bit, PCI-X type. I have heard that XP has no support for PCI-X (the slot not the card) yet, so I dont know if that is the cause. Try fdisk and then format the drive (fat32) with a good old win98 boot disk. If you are getting any nt errors, try getting into safe mode, if possible. If none still work, the last thing that I can reccomend that should work, is a good low level format using the controller's utility (ctrl+A) at bootup. :blink:

Windows XP doesn't know the difference between PCI and PCI-X. Like PCI-Express, PCI-X is transparent to the OS - it uses the same commands as regular PCI cards (hot-pluggability possibly excepted), it just works faster.

As for the problem, check Adaptec's website for instructions on how to create your own floppy to use with the XP install process - quite a few users have had problems with adaptec driver floppies, but Ada[ptec seems to know how to fix it. Search the Computing forum if you can't find the details on Adaptec's site.

I just bought a 15k 73GB Fujitsu drive last week and I'm having trouble gegtting it to work with my Adaptec 29320r SCSI controller.  I've been dying to test it out but haven't had much luck.

Fujitsu had compatibility problems with some U320 controller. Try a U160 controller if you have it. A U320 controller is overkill unless you're running 4 drives simultaneously.

Hello there,

Total SCSI newb here, but yes; I've read about a dozen FAQs already...so I guess I'm not totally ignorant.

Anyway, I just purchased the 18GB version of the MAS-family, the MAS3184NP.

Link to it (on Newegg) Been looking for reviews of the drive, but have been unsuccessful.

I will be running it on the LSI U-160 PCI-X adapter, with a proper cable and terminator.

My question is: Can I expect very similar performance from this drive as compared to it's big brother, the 73GB drive?

Thanks for your time.

Does anyone here know if the MAS3735 will have compatibility problems with my LSI 3202064 Ultra 320 raid card?

I am starting a hosting company and I am currently building some very high end servers with raid 5 arrays(as many hard drives as I can get my hands on or afford for that matter). I have 5 of the seagate drives currently and now that I see all these great benchmarks from the MAS3735 I am thinking about selling all the seagate drives and going with all MAS3735 drives instead. The reason why I was going with the seagate drives is because of price. They have been around longer and consequently people are selling them(slightly used) for good prices if you look around. What do you guys think? :unsure:

For those of you who are curious I am building 4 servers identical to each other, the only difference will be the number of drives used.(webserver, database server, dns server, mail server). The servers hardware will be as follows:

- 2 opteron 246 cpus

- Tyan K8S motherboard

- LSI 3202064 Ultra 320 Raid Scsi card with battery backed 64 mb RAM(wll be using 2 raid 5 arrays(1 per channel, not raid 50))

- 12 GB ECC Registerd Crucial DDR 400(pc3200) RAM(6x2GB modules)

- Antec True550 EPS12V power supply

- 1 DVD burner for daily backups

I will be running Suse Linux Enterprise Edition Server 8.0 for AMD Opteron on all my servers.

I posted a new thread here(- the question about the compatibility of my raid card):

http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=14032

experienced linux users please help me out with any advice on Suse Linux Enterprise Server 8.0. I want to load kernel 2.6 so I can use the new i/0 schedulers on my servers but Ive never recompiled kernels in suse manually and im looking for help. Please post any comments to that thread thanks.