Sign in to follow this  
OldGuy

Harddrive sleep and XP

I made a search but didn't find any real results, only people looking for the same but not getting anywhere. I have looked around for some tool that would allow for putting an individual drive to sleep in WinXP, but haven't even seen the smoke of any. Is it a totally overlooked area where a smart programmer could get huge acclaim? Really there should be interest enough for thousands of people to be able to go beyond the simple powersaving setting of one for all drives in Windows? Back in the old days of DOS I could do this, but don't even try running those tools under a modern operating system. ;)

Any programmers around?

I made a search but didn't find any real results, only people looking for the same but not getting anywhere. I have looked around for some tool that would allow for putting an individual drive to sleep in WinXP, but haven't even seen the smoke of any. Is it a totally overlooked area where a smart programmer could get huge acclaim? Really there should be interest enough for thousands of people to be able to go beyond the simple powersaving setting of one for all drives in Windows? Back in the old days of DOS I could do this, but don't even try running those tools under a modern operating system.  ;)

Any programmers around?

the program is called hard drive sleep or hard drive sleeper... you can time your disks independantly of eachother or manually shut them down independantly. It does have some limitations (I think it only works with the onboard controller...)

search this forum for hdd sleeper or hard drive sleeper...etc... you will find it, it's in atleast 3 threads.

I'm afraid that Hard Disk Sleeper is not an option. It was written in '99 and does not seem to work for hardly anyone with WinXP or even most people with Win2k. I have other complaints about how it's done besides that, but it doesn't really matter. Either way, a working tool sure seems to be missing for this area.

I'm afraid that Hard Disk Sleeper is not an option. It was written in '99 and does not seem to work for hardly anyone with WinXP or even most people with Win2k. I have other complaints about how it's done besides that, but it doesn't really matter. Either way, a working tool sure seems to be missing for this area.

uh.. it worked absolutely fine for me on winXP... so I would think it also works on 2k... like I said I think it only works for the onboard(SB) controller.. may also have a limitation of 4 drives total because of this...

I'm familiar with it since before and hasn't gotten any result with it on neither a SiS AMD board nor an Intel P4 board. The referred to threads contain user experiences of similar result as well. Either way it's a fairly shitty piece of software made for Win98 and WinNT in '99. It's only natural to be problematic two OS releases after that. Powersaving management routines has had a lot of development over the days of NT4.