^sm@ck

Fastest SCSI RAID Controller for Game System

Since I got a game system I only have 32bit/33mhz PCI. I'd like to get 2 x 15k.3 for it to run in RAID 0 but am unsure about what controller to get. I was thinking about getting a 2100s. Is this a good controller? Do I have any other options.

System specs are going to be:

Abit IC7-G Canterwood with gigabit that won't hog my PCI bus.

2.8/800fsb or 3.06/533fsb

1GB ram

Audigy 2

Win2k Pro

yadda.. yadda..

The raid controller is going to be alone on the PCI bus except for the audigy2 which I don't believe will hog too much bandwidth(am I wrong here?).

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

I figure 2 x 18GB 15k.3 + 2100s = 680$

and 2 x 18GB 15k.3 + 29160n = 620$

It wouldn't cost that much more.

If I had one I'd be doing 50-60MB/s and if I had two I figure I'd be maxing my PCI ~100MB/s. I'm going to get a canterwood which has the gigabit on a separate bus so I could come close to maxing out the gigabit to my fileserver which has IDE RAID/gigabit that can do 100MB/s reads easy.

Oh.. and also because I can. :twisted:

so you want to spend more money and double your chance of failure for the sake on increasing read speeds on a file server with only 36gb?

raid0 does not make everything faster.

I figure 2 x 18GB 15k.3 + 2100s = 680$

and 2 x 18GB 15k.3 + 29160n = 620$

*correction* 1 x 36GB + 29160n = 530$

So that actually would be 150$ cheaper if I went with that expensive adaptec controller.

Since I got a game system I only have 32bit/33mhz PCI. I'd like to get 2 x 15k.3 for it to run in RAID 0 but am unsure about what controller to get. I was thinking about getting a 2100s. Is this a good controller? Do I have any other options.

System specs are going to be:

Abit IC7-G Canterwood with gigabit that won't hog my PCI bus.

2.8/800fsb or 3.06/533fsb

1GB ram

Audigy 2

Win2k Pro

yadda.. yadda..

The raid controller is going to be alone on the PCI bus except for the audigy2 which I don't believe will hog too much bandwidth(am I wrong here?).

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Do a search on e-bay for this controller and see what the sale price is. It retails for $399 and the last I checked (six months ago) they were selling them for less than $200 - because their RAID0 scores are so awfully pitiful, meaning RAID0 on this card performs worse than a single drive.

Ok, I think I'm up to speed on the whole Adaptec SCSI RAID = crap thing. I've been reading SR forum history.

There isn't anything comparatively priced to the 2100s that doesn't suck is there? bah.. of course not.

I think I'll just go single 36GB 15k.3. Thanks for the help honold, Cougtek, boggsie.

There is another option that does appear to give good RAID 0 performance. Adaptec HostRaid with their U320-R series of cards. Around the $250 mark. They will allow you to use either RAID 0 or RAID 1.

Yes.

Hypermicro seems to have very good pricing (bare card or whitebox with cables).

That's a low profile card, you should check whether it comes with a full size bracket as well.

There isn't anything comparatively priced to the 2100s that doesn't suck is there? bah..  of course not.

Yes, there is. LSI Express 500 or Mylex AcceleRAID 170. However, for your intended usage a RAID controller is a complete waste of money. Gaming systems don't need RAID; it's gamers that need RAID so that meaningless benchmarks can be run to impress (for five minutes) anyone that asks about what's under the hood. Gaming systems simply need low access time drives. Just get a 15K.3 (or two) and a basic U160 SCSI controller like a 29160N.

Fastest gaming rig I ever saw for loading levels was my old dual XP1500+ with a 2940U2W and a single X15-36LP.

I know of guys with uber-leet RAID cards and numerous disks, and not only does the machine take an eternity and then some to boot, but they're not even very fast. Let's not even go down the whole corrupt containers and drivers optimised for a Server OS that *just* work on Workstation.

If I were building a "1337 g4m3r r1g" I'd be putting in a single WD Raptor hanging off the ICH5 SATA that'll be on your choice of motherboard.

I know of guys with uber-leet RAID cards and numerous disks, and not only does the machine take an eternity and then some to boot, but they're not even very fast.  Let's not even go down the whole corrupt containers and drivers optimised for a Server OS that *just* work on Workstation.

What do you mean by corrupt containers? I've never heard of this before and have not been able to find any info on this after a short search. Can you point me in the right direction of information or can you let me know what's up?

my box

is a monster

dual 2400+ with integrated SCSI conroller (I have 4 SCSI controllers total)

I've used SCSI for a long time and all I have to say is RAID-0 might make little to no difference in gaming. Having a single 15k.3 would be faster.

I am an advocate for SCSI all the way. I say get a single drive with a $60 LSI controller. Either that or get a solid state hard drive (would be faster but more expensive).

as everyone said, a single 15K.3 would be a better option. RAID 0 is only good for things that need a constant stream of data going to and from the hard disk. And gaming isn't one of these things. If gaming were to do soemthing w/ a stream of data constantly it would be data going through the buses, not off the hard drives. Seek times will help you load your games faster