acadia

decisions, decisions, drive upgrade, raptor or atlas 10k?

It's time for drive upgrade with my new pc i'm building.

Currently, I got a Atlas 10K generation I scsi 9GB and ibm 60gxp 40GB.

I plan on getting Gigabyte GA-8KNXP canterwood board which has the new intel ICH5 south bridge which supports native SATA raid. So, anyway, here's the issue should I get the Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10K SATA drive (I'll only purchase 1 right now) or should I get Maxtor Atlas 10K IV scsi drive. I have adaptec 2940U2W scsi card and LSI U160 scsi card.

So what do you guys think?

If it was my decision, I would:

- sell the Atlas I and the adaptec 2940U2W on ebay or whatever.

- buy a Raptor and try it out...if I didn't like it, I would turn around and sell it and then get the Atlas IV for use with the LSI U160.

- if I liked the Raptor, I would then ditch the LSI on ebay or whatever too.

- in the near future, when SAS SCSI is out, I would consider what's available then...lots of interesting options should be available.

CK

LOST6200, appreciate the info but been there done that. But, as you see I'm still in a dillemma perhaps someone else will have experience with both etc ... that's why I put the question out there. Sigh ..... :roll:

The Atlas IV is a very old, slow 7.2K drive. Any modern 7.2K IDE drive would blow it away.

LOST6200, appreciate the info but been there done that.  But, as you see I'm still in a dillemma perhaps someone else will have experience with both etc ... that's why I put the question out there.  Sigh ..... :roll:

Perhaps you could be more more specific regarding the dilemma. Which is your primary concern: reliability, compatibility, cost, etc.?

I game, which makes it seem as though the atlas 10K IV is faster, but I do also program on this box, although my linux box is my main programming box, and I run my webserver, ftp, etc on ... it. I would have to say speed is my main concern, and which ever drive I get will be my main drive not my storage drive.

It is pretty much a toss-up as far as performance goes, but I would get the Atlas 10kIV for three reasons: (1) because I trust SCSI and Quaxtor more than I trust sATA and WD when it comes to 10k drives, (2) you are likely to have fewer headaches with a SCSI solution compared to sATA when it comes to Linux, and (3) you already have a SCSI controller.

You get 5-year warranty with Raptor too. Canterwood chipset has native SATA, as acadia mentioned. I've understood that the SATA controller in ICH5 doesn't need any drivers for w2k/XP (as the controller is seen as IDE controller). I think that You don't get the SCSI write cache issue with the ICH5/Raptor combo. (Plus, You can probably one day connect the Raptor to a SA-SCSI controller without hassle)

So, I'd put my money on the Raptor, if the assumptions above are correct.

Cheers,

Jan

If performance is your main criteria, why consider 10K SCSI at all? IMO, 10K SCSI makes a nice, reliable, reasonably fast enterprise drive (where SCSI is already standard), but if you want something for performance, get a seagate 15K.3 or the 15K atlas.

that's what I was thinking, that's why I would get the wd 360 10K sata drive now, and wait for the atlas 15K drive to become available, I wanted to get the atlas 15k now but it's not available, of course, this would have made the decision easy ;p But, alas, I the dillemma, maybe I should get 1 wdc 360 10k now, wait for the atlas 15k to arrive get one of those and another wdc 360 10k and setup sata raid for storage, and then I can have my 15k as my main drive.

The seagate 15k.3 is a very decent drive too. I doubt you'll notice any speed difference between it and the 15K maxtor. The seagate will be a little quieter too (good for a personal workstation).

that's what I was thinking, that's why I would get the wd 360 10K sata drive now, and wait for the atlas 15K drive to become available, I wanted to get the atlas 15k now but it's not available, of course, this would have made the decision easy ;p  But, alas, I the dillemma, maybe I should get 1 wdc 360 10k now, wait for the atlas 15k to arrive get one of those and another wdc 360 10k and setup sata raid for storage, and then I can have my 15k as my main drive.

The new Fujitsu seems to be the fastest 15K drive out there. Slightly noisy but still quieter than the x15-36LP.

hmmm fujitsu, you say, I don't know ... maybe Maxtor or Quantum kind of one me over my atlas 10k generation 9.1GB drive has been chugging along for nearly 5 years now!!!!!!!!!!! I drive I payed $475 bucks for using money from my first internship, geez ... imagine what $475 could by me now!!!!!!!!!!!

but yeah, this drive, has been flawless .... you know what I mean ... mortal kombat style, flawless victory ... and well I don't know about fujitsu ... I'd hate for it to lead to a fatality ... or like brutality ...