Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1_smack_for_2

Silver Serpent VGA Breakout for $95 shipped

11 posts in this topic

I'm selling these cables because I need to buy a new monitor, the one I have is ghosting. I found that the tube is going through its last year. I used these cables on my monitor for a year now and when i switch to vga it's even worse. The cables are in excellent condition no bends or scratches.

Silver Serpent VGA Breakout hd15/5 BNC cables for $95 shipped.

Best price I found (new/used) online is 109.95 w/o tax or shipping.

I'm selling these cables because I need to buy a new monitor, the one I have is ghosting. I found that the tube is going through its last year. I used these cables on my monitor for a year now and when i switch to vga it's even worse. The cables are in excellent condition no bends or scratches.

Silver Serpent VGA Breakout hd15/5 BNC cables for $95 shipped.

Best price I found (new/used) online is 109.95 w/o tax or shipping.

First: This isn't a flame over your price, I see that that model is very expensive, so your price appears within reason.

But, I'm wondering why anyone would pay that much for that kind of cable. What monitor did you run it on? I ran a Matrox G400 to an older E-Machines 20" display (back when E-Machines was a high-end graphics card/monitor company, before their name was sold to become the current low-cost computer company eMachines,) and I used a generic $20 VGA to BNC cable I got at a local computer shop, and never had any problems running resolutions as high as 1600x1200. I tried 1880x1440, but the monitor could only handle 60Hz, so it was an eyesore. Even at that resolution, though, the picture was very crisp with no ghosting at all.

Does this high-end cable make that much of a difference, or was I just lucky with my generic one?

Then again, I guess there are those that pay $50 for IDE cables that have dubious speed/airflow benefits, when they get IDE cables for free with drives and motherboards.

I picked up an ancient Dell D1626-HT Trinitron free from school before they threw it out. ( I had an eye-straining 15'' NEC before... ) I connected it via generic vga cables and the colors were pretty dry, and it was too dark. I spent hours trying to set this thing up. Since it was free, i just bought the best cables i could find for it. $99 dollars for a decent 21" a year ago was good enough for me. :)

I'm not really a cable fanatic so I don't have experience as to how monitors look with various cables. The only other monitors that I've personally seen are one's at the local Fry's. I guess this cable brings out the color/saturation out of the monitor. A good graphics card helps though--a lot. Also I noticed that I can change the refresh rate of the Dell to 100Hz at 1280x1024. That wasn't even on the specs, http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/monitors/5...55347/specs.htm. But still at whatever resolution i get ghosting and some blurry text. Convergence is screwed... My theory is that if you have a strong signal then the monitor would last longer, or at least bad things will become noticeable later on...

1 person likes this

Better cables make a big difference when the cables are very long, and make a difference that you can notice if you look for it on good monitors at high resolutions when the cable is shorter.

you overpayed, a $15 cable would suffice for anything shorter than ~6ft for 1600x1200.

If somebody needs these, maybe ebay would be the best place to sell them.

1 person likes this

I still use an ancient 1994 sony trinitron with the old BNC/VGA cable, the picture is real clear but it kinda lacks the color and brightness of newer monitors, but other than that it looks fine with a cable i got for free, infact i got 5 cables free....

Hi everyone.

B)

I'm running two machines on one 21" monitor which is PanaSync Pro. It has BNC and VGA connectors on the back and you can switch between them through OSD menu. So I needed VGA-BNC cable. I had a lot of old cables from broken monitors so I picked one with VGA connector on one end, of course, and cut the other end open. Then I went to a local electronic store and bought 5 BNC connectors which ran about 15 bucks total, if memory serves me right. I soldered them onto the open ends according to specifications of the cable and making sure about the signals. All works flawlessly and keeps me very happy about it.

This is just for someone who enjoys hands-on weekend projects.

If anyone wants the same cable I can make it custom, but not sure about price and shipping expense...

I just couldn't find any of those cables in local computer stores, that's why... B)

:rolleyes:

1 person likes this

i had to go about 2 miles from my house to find one of those cables... if I went about 20 minutes (10-12 miles) I could probably find 4 different places that stock that cable...

Best buy, Circuit city, micro center... sometimes a small computer shop will have the cables as well.