LOST6200

DVD Burners

I am rather confused by the array of DVD recorders, formats and media. Assuming that my prioritiesd ar as listed below, which are the best options for the recorder and media? Will there be any major improvements in the next month or two (waiting longer is not practical)?

Internal IDE

Data only, no illegal video (mostly 2 GB RAR files)

Archive only, no re-writing needed

Good media compatibility (relatively inexpensive and playable on standard IDE DVD playesrs)

Decent CD-RW capability

TIA

Personally? Pioneer DVR-A05, fast (4x) popular, and cheap.

If you want additional compatibily with the "+" formats, get the Sony 500A (it suports both the "+" and "-" formats allowing you to neatly dodge the VHS/Betamax showdown comming soon.

I had three types:

Minus only: Toshiba SD-R5002

Plus only: NEC ND-1100A

Dual: Sony DRU-500A

They are all very good. If you have access to reasonably good and inexpensive Plus media, ND-1100A can be good enough for you. If you have access to reasonably good and inexpensive Minus media, Pioneer DVR-A05. If you have use for DVD-RAM, LG GMA-4040B.

Thanks. According to what I see there are more DVD-R media available. Which format is most likely to survive? Since they all claim to be playable on standard DVD drives, I would not be concerned so long as both are around until September 2004. By then the drive would be discarded in any case.

Thanks.  According to what I see there are more DVD-R media available.  Which format is most likely to survive?  Since they all claim to be playable on standard DVD drives, I would not be concerned so long as both are around until September 2004.  By then the drive would be discarded in any case.

There are more CD-R than DVD-R available and there are more FDD than Blu-ray available. That hardly means the superiority of CD-R and FDD. That's only because they have been longer in the market. DVD-R was first introduced years ago while DVD+R was first introduced about 1 year ago.

I have bought both Plus and Minus drives since I have had access to both types of media. It usually depends on where you live and how many disks you need in a week and in a month. In the US, it's not very difficult to buy 2.4x DVD+R media for under US$2 per disk. In Japan, TY and TDK media are easily available. In Taiwan, Ritek and Princo media are very cheap. In Europe, rather more complicated. In South Korea, the most expensive and chaotic. Princo makes only Minus media and Ritek makes almost 80% of the Plus R media. Mitsubishi and Taiyo Yuden are the largest CD-R and DVD+R/-R media manufacturers in Japan. Every major CD-R/DVD-R/DVD+R manufacturer in South Korea, Japan, and Taiwan is increasing DVD-R/DVD+R production this year by 2x, 5x, 10x, or even more. Since + and - are almost equal physically, it is usually company policy rather than technology that decides what media are available for how much in a given market.

Both formats will definitely be around on Sept 2004. I would suggest DVD-R. Only because my laptop refuses to play DVD+R, whereas DVD-R is no problem. I would imagine that most modern laptops would have no problem playing either format. And most recent DVD-ROM drives would recognise either.

Also 4x DVD-R media is a fair bit cheaper than 4x DVD+R media. If in doubt get the Sony 510A as suggested, it can do DVD+RW at 4x as well, if rewriteability is important to you.

Both formats will definitely be around on Sept 2004. I would suggest DVD-R. Only because my laptop refuses to play DVD+R, whereas DVD-R is no problem. I would imagine that most modern laptops would have no problem playing either format. And most recent DVD-ROM drives would recognise either.

Also 4x DVD-R media is a fair bit cheaper than 4x DVD+R media. If in doubt get the Sony 510A as suggested, it can do DVD+RW at 4x as well, if rewriteability is important to you.

4x DVD+R cost almost exactly the same as 4x DVD-R. You probably meant the Verbatim 4x DVD+R made by Mitsubishi cost more than 4x DVD-R made by Princo. Ritek 4x DVD+R cost the same as Ritek 4x DVD-R. Taiyo Yuden 4x DVD+R cost the same as Taiyo Yuden 4x DVD-R. Verbatim 4x DVD+R cost the same as Verbatim 4x DVD-R. Princo of course has no 4x DVD+R but has 4x DVD-R, at US$1.2 or so per disk. 4x DVD+R drives usually cost LESS than 4x DVD-R drives and 4x DVD+R media usually cost LESS than 4x DVD-R. Sometimes not in the retail market depending on the region but that's been the case in the industry for a long while. HP and Dell have changed it so much in this regard.

Sony DRU-510A, LG GMA-4040B, NEC ND-1300A, and a few other drives offer the most.

is the DRU-510A available yet? Do you know if an external version of it is as well? I had the external 500 on order and cancelled it when I read some of the specs on the 510. I'd like an external usb2/1394 drive however.

thanks Kenny! I've always appreciated your insight and knowledge.

The 510 internal is to be released in May, with the external in June.

Do you know what the difference between the Sony 510 and Sony 500 will be - I guess faster reading and writing times - but how much faster ?

In Denmark where I come from, the Sony DRX 500 is almost impossible to get in the shops - and is backordered in many shops - so an upcoming 510 drive from Sony will probably not be in the shops untill september/october :x

I'm waiting for the Liteon Dual DVDRW +/- burner - it should be in the shops soon.

Sony DRU-510A, LG GMA-4040B, NEC ND-1300A, and a few other drives offer the most.

is the DRU-510A available yet? Do you know if an external version of it is as well? I had the external 500 on order and cancelled it when I read some of the specs on the 510. I'd like an external usb2/1394 drive however.

thanks Kenny! I've always appreciated your insight and knowledge.

Yep. The external version is DRX-510UL and both will be available in a few weeks. Depending on markets, DRU-510A could be cheaper than DRU-500A.

The major difference is that DRU-510A and DRX-510UL support 4x DVD+RW writing while DRU-500A(X) and DRX-500UL(X) support 2.4x DVD+RW writing.

Lost6200, what did you end up getting, if anything?

I am in the same position as you - I am looking for a drive and the ability to create playable video is not a serious consideration. I'm looking for a stable way to backup large amounts of data (20GB) regularly to media that will last a few years and can be read by any DVD-ROM drive.

I want to avoid tape because of the software and driver support needed in order to restore.

I want to avoid external drives because the price is high and I have a single point of media failure unless I buy more than one. (I can always burn multiple backups.)

So, a DVD burner seems like the safest bet. Unfortunately, the drives differentiate themselves in areas related to video, so it's hard for me to sort through that and identify what's best for my needs.

Since my last post in this thread I bought the Sony DRU500AX and couldn't be happier.

It's an awesome DVD burner, a bit slow at reading DVD's (but I have a DVD rom drive for that) but it steadily writes to both Princo DVD-R, Verbatim DVD+R, Sony DVD+R, Verbatim DVD+RW, Sony DVD+RW and TDK DVD+R.

I didn't have the patience to wait for the upcoming Sony DRU510 drive, and the upcoming Liteon DVD burner is a clone of my Sony DRU500AX drive.

The NEC ND-1300 is supposed to be one heck of a drive and availlbe for a bargain price here in Denmark - approx 230$ (yes that is very cheap price for a DVD dual burner here in Denmark - the Sony DRU500AX reatail is priced around 420$ in my expensive country)

It's totally great being able to back up huge amounts of data on one tiny DVD.

I've just backupped my entire software collection - and everything could easily fit onto two DVD's :lol:

Backing DVD movies up is pretty easy too - you just have to get the proper DVD programs for this B)

Being able to store my entire MP3 collection (approx 20 GB in size and still growing) onto 5 DVD's is also a great an safe feeling - I've just bought my final and last CDRW drive - the Plextor Premium.

From here on it's all about DVDRW drives.

Lost6200, what did you end up getting, if anything?

Nothing, yet. I added an old WD2500JB to my backup rotation, which is enough for now. However, maintaining triplicate data files (primary, internal backup, and offsite backup) on 10 drives (1576 GB total) is a becoming a bit of a chore. That does not include ~350 archived data CDs in duplicate and another 280 GB of archived offsite hard drives. I am hoping that faster and less expensive DVD writers/media will be available later this year. I would like to buy a pair of DVD writers for duplicate copies and permanently archive some of the data now on hard drives.

1576GB total? Even DVDs aren't feasible for that kind of capacity....I've worked with some massive automated tape backup solutions before (made by Sun for PacBell's CO in S.F.). But I'd just recomend a RAID 5 array in a cheap machine at a friend's house...assuming you both have DSL, you can have it sync to the off-site location via VPN. Super simple, not too costly.

'Cause that's at LEAST 336 DVDs (if it divided perfectly)

1576GB total? ...'Cause that's at LEAST 336 DVDs (if it divided perfectly)

The active data is about 400 GB at present. 1576 GB is the total available disk space for three copies of the data. Of course all three sets of drives are not the same capacity, so all of the 1576/3 GB would not be used. I am thinking about archiving only a portion of the data every few months and keeping about the most recent/active 400 GB or so. The initial archive would be about 80-120 GB.

Primary backups are made at least daily to internal Firewire drives. I have no friends and no DSL/cable, so offsite backup consists of HDs in racks which are stored at the office. These are incrementally backed up once a week and then completely when the drives are full (about every 2-3 months). Offsite archives are stored on the West coast, but are not readily accessible. Many of these were CDs, but I got so far behind that I finally filled a couple of hard drives. In the future it would be nice to run incremental backups on DVDs at 1-2 month intervals.

Newegg has the Sony DW-U10A which is supposedly the OEM version of the DRU510.

Dennis

NO sorry, the DW-U10A is the BULK version of the Sony DRU500AX NOT the DRU510.

You should check out this thread from a few weeks ago:

Best DVD burner?

I would still say go with the Pioneer drive. DVD+R is still a little more expensive and a lot less popular. DVD-R is not going to die, so there's no reason to spend the extra $90 on the Sony that does DVD+R as well. There's no reason you need compatability with both, because anything can already play both formats. The only reason to spend the extra cash for something that burns DVD+R is if you live in some alternate universe where DVD-R is hard to get and more expensive.

And, in your case, if you're talking about recording two DVD's simultaneously, I know that Prassi Primo DVD supports all the Pioneer DVD burners. It's very easy to use and does an excellent job of letting you burn two DVD's simultaneously.

It looks like +/- drives are where things are going these days...

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/200...519/pioneer.htm (in Japanese)

Quick summary: Pioneer is planning to release the DVR-A06-J drive in the middle of June. It supports both + and - formats (4x/2x -R/RW, 4x/2.4x +R/RW). This is an interesting development considering that Pioneer is probably the staunchest supporter of the -R/RW format. With more and more +/- drives coming out these days (Sony, NEC, and now Pioneer), things are looing even foggier for the future...

On a related note, the prices of +/- drives have come down substantially recently (here in Tokyo, at least). Nowadays, there's only about a $30 or so premium over a single format type. The NEC one, in particular, is very cheap...

Just a FYI for those interested. (For the record, I have a black Pioneer A05, so here's hoping that they still sell -R disks for quite a while...)

How do these drives sound when playing DVD movies. A few years back I had a DVD drive that could play up to 12x, well the drive was too loud when playing movies so I sent it back, anything really above 6x DVD gets too loud. Now I haven't upgraded my DVD/CD writer in around 2 years because mainly I been waiting for the DVD/CD burners to come down in price. But DVD movie play back speed is a big concern of mine as well with noise.

The Sony, LiteOn and Verbatim units I have are silent when playing back movies.

How do these drives sound when playing DVD movies.  A few years back I had a DVD drive that could play up to 12x, well the drive was too loud when playing movies so I sent it back, anything really above 6x DVD gets too loud.  Now I haven't upgraded my DVD/CD writer in around 2 years because mainly I been waiting for the DVD/CD burners to come down in price.  But DVD movie play back speed is a big concern of mine as well with noise.

If you had that problem, it was most likely a firmware/individual drive problem. when playing back DVD movies, drives should be spinning at a max of about 4x.. no matter what the final speed of the drive.

Some of the 1st higher speed DVD drives(10x and up) had the problem that they would spin at full speed while you were watching a DVD, most of these problems were fixed with firmware upgrades.

I have a 12x liteOn that had this problem, fixed in the second or third firmware update i believe.