Sign in to follow this  
Inexxess

Intermittent clicking sound with IBM Deskstart 120GXP

I recently purchased the 80GB 120GXP. I have it set up as my secondary drive so I rarely access it. I noticed that about every minute (while the hard drive is idle) it makes a loud "click" sound which is definitely not a normal hard drive read/write sound. Also, if the hard drive is sitting idle and I go to access it, it will make the same "click" sound once and then the usual hard drive sounds will follow. Other than that, everything works fine. No lost files, errors, etc.

I called IBM tech support and they said that it is a new feature of this model. Every minute or so the read/write heads will sweep the platter making that click sound.

Can anybody verify this? The sound is disconcerting. I have a 75GXP as my main drive and haven't had any problems at all. Same with my other IBM hard drives. I'm inclined to believe tech support...

Heh, last drive I had that made random accesses during idle was an old Fujitsu 1623TAU - a 1.7Gb unit from around 1996. It thermally calibrated itself every 5 minutes or so, even during accessing.

I wonder is the 120GXP going to be a lemon, like the 75GXP and 60GXP before it? :lol:

I recently purchased the 80GB 120GXP. I have it set up as my secondary drive so I rarely access it. I noticed that about every minute (while the hard drive is idle) it makes a loud "click" sound which is definitely not a normal hard drive read/write sound. Also, if the hard drive is sitting idle and I go to access it, it will make the same "click" sound once and then the usual hard drive sounds will follow. Other than that, everything works fine. No lost files, errors, etc. 

I called IBM tech support and they said that it is a new feature of this model. Every minute or so the read/write heads will sweep the platter making that click sound. 

Can anybody verify this? The sound is disconcerting. I have a 75GXP as my main drive and haven't had any problems at all. Same with my other IBM hard drives. I'm inclined to believe tech support...

Tech suports opinion is beleivable, keep us posted on any more probs with the drive though, im thinking of getting that drive too.

LOL the IBM 120GXP drives reminds me of a scene from the movie Jaws. In the scene, it's a holiday weekened and the beach is crowded with tourists but nobody will go into the water because of the fear from recent shark attacks. Everyone on the beach is waiting for some brave soul to test the dark murky waters first before stepping in themselves.

The problem is in this instance, it took many months for 75GXP shark to surface and bite people in the arse. It wasn't really until after the successor 60GXP drive was released that most people were in agreement that there was some defect in the 75GXP leading to its poor reliability.

Bottom line: I wouldn't expect any widespread reports on failures any time soon, there will be scattered reports (like with any drive) of failures, but it takes time for any trend to be established. I do think it would wise to heed IBM's advice on power-on hours, which for the 120GXP roughly figures to 10-12 hours daily maximum. I also would suggest it wise to consider this figure before making a 120GXP purchase.

I think the fact that so many consumers are being so cautious is clear evidence that problems in the (especially high capacity) 75GXP (and to a much lesser degree the 60GXP) that IBM signigficantly damaged their reputation for IDE drives -- a manufacture that ironically, before the release of the 75GXP, was often cited to have the best reputation in quality and reliability. Western Digital repaired their repuation, so perhaps IBM -- with a focus on quality and reliability over production volume -- will once again earn this recognition.

Hi

I have a 120GXP 80GB and have not noticed a persistant click. I will watch out for it. Try the IBM Disk Fitness Test program, it seems to be quite thorough diagnostically.

Andy

Off topic...

I'd like to buy a 120GXP harddrive (if I can find one...). Can you tell me how loud/quiet it is? Thanks.

IBM deskstars are the quietest drives around, well at least thats what ive read in the numerous reviews ive read about them.

No chance....the 75GXP and 60GXP were quite clearly audible, - they make horrible clicky access sounds. And yes, I had 4 of them, so I know how they sound like :wink:

The Seagate Barracuada IV is clearly the quietest drive.

No chance....the 75GXP and 60GXP were quite clearly audible, - they make horrible clicky access sounds. And yes, I had 4 of them, so I know how they sound like  :wink:  

The Seagate Barracuada IV is clearly the quietest drive.

I am in complete agreement with Will, here. We have been through eleven of eighteen defective 75GXP's and five of those replaced have also gone out, all of them 60GXP's. ...and that is so far.

At least most of the 75GXP's we had went out after almost a year, the 60GXP's that croaked went out withing three months, I am sad to say.

We have had to add to our shipping budget just for RMA'ing Deskstars.

We are underjoyed.

I am sad to say the following: If I had an IBM (or any other brand) making unusual noises I would RMA immediately.

Needless to say, my reputation as an IT professional has not benefitted from this debacle with IBM!

Since we are on this Topic about 75GXPs, mine is starting to make this grinding noise that last about a second with about a half second gap between the noise. Sounds like a manual transmission gear get jammed into the next gear without using the clutch. But after about 30 second it goes away. Also it seems to occur about every 5 boots now, BTW it started a couple days ago. Anyone hear this before on the 75GXPs?

My other question, is how long is th warranty on them... mine is OEM.

Since we are on this Topic about 75GXPs, mine is starting to make this grinding noise that last about a second with about a half second gap between the noise.  Sounds like a manual transmission gear get jammed into the next gear without using the clutch.  But after about 30 second it goes away.  Also it seems to occur about every 5 boots now, BTW it started a couple days ago.  Anyone hear this before on the 75GXPs?

Our experience has been that only ONE of the drives that we had go bad made ANY unusual noise. All of these were incredibly quiet, but that one, even when they were beginning to go bad.

IBM IDE drives come with a three year manufacturer's warranty, five years, I believe, on all their SCSI's, AFAIK.

We have been through eleven of eighteen defective 75GXP's and five of those replaced have also gone out, all of them 60GXP's.  ...and that is so far.

At least most of the 75GXP's we had went out after almost a year, the 60GXP's that croaked went out withing three months, I am sad to say.

Were these drives used in "normal" fashion, i.e. in single (not RAID) and in conservative, i.e. not heavily overclocked etc. AMD systems?

Out of my 7 private 60/75 GXP drives, 3 went bad. In another thread someone said that the drive reliabilty survey had shown GXP drives not significantly more prone to defect than other brands (didn't read the survey). Also, it was said that RAID, bad/weak PS and frequent reboots were the culprits regarding dying GXPs. Is that correct?

Oh no, not again!! :evil:

My 75GXP (80Gb) has started making a very similar sound. It's done it 4 times so far in 2 days. A repeating cycle of 4 scraping sounds that lasts approx. 3 secs. it did this 3 times and no ill effects. The next day it did it again and then the drive could not be accessed, re-boot, the drive is 6 months old. I had a similar bad experience with a 14GXP 13 months after purchase.

I fear I am going get the same response I had last time and that is to try and convince the retailer that the drive is about to go belly up. It tests out OK with scandisk, what's this IBM fitness program about?

I read earlier in this thread about amount of daily working hours. I didn't realise that a hour/rate/day limit was advised for hard drive use?

Derrick.

Since we are on this Topic about 75GXPs, mine is starting to make this grinding noise that last about a second with about a half second gap between the noise.  Sounds like a manual transmission gear get jammed into the next gear without using the clutch.  But after about 30 second it goes away.  Also it seems to occur about every 5 boots now, BTW it started a couple days ago.  Anyone hear this before on the 75GXPs?

Oh no, not again!! :evil:  

My 75GXP (80Gb) has started making a very similar sound.  It's done it 4 times so far in 2 days.  A repeating cycle of 4 scraping sounds that lasts approx. 3 secs.  it did this 3 times and no ill effects.  

Actually I am getting about a 3 second grinding noise like you, not a 1 second as I posted earlier. Sounds like we have the same problem. however, I am not hearing the problem any more and everything seems to be running fine. I have been researching our problem and other 75GXP issues. First thing I found is to turn off S.M.A.R.T. in your BIOS for now, also there is a firmware update that seems to be working good for others.

Here is the link...

http://www.geocities.com/dtla_update/

I am going to test our the firmware update sometime in the next couple days and I will report back here.

We have been through eleven of eighteen defective 75GXP's and five of those replaced have also gone out, all of them 60GXP's.  ...and that is so far.

Were these drives used in "normal" fashion, i.e. in single (not RAID) and in conservative, i.e. not heavily overclocked etc. AMD systems?

Out of my 7 private 60/75 GXP drives, 3 went bad. In another thread someone said that the drive reliabilty survey had shown GXP drives not significantly more prone to defect than other brands (didn't read the survey). Also, it was said that RAID, bad/weak PS and frequent reboots were the culprits regarding dying GXPs. Is that correct?

All identical MB (Soyo 6B+ IV), Antec 400w PS (with perfect rail readings), Inwin Q500 cases, three 80mm intake cooling fans, 2 blowing directly on the HD's, three 80mm exhaust fans at rear and top, non-RAID HPT366 ATA66 controller, switched to EIDE for testing, Win98 or Win2000 Pro with ALL upgrades, latest BIOS and newest drivers. Meticulously maintained, well cooled, obviously. All units started once AM and "properly" shut down and then turned off PM. All other older drives in these machines, both SCSI and EIDE all continue to work flawlessly, only the newer drives defective. All 566mHz or 800mHz Celerons, no systems overclocked.

I an a independent systems analyst and consultant for several large VAR's, trust me, there is as large a failure rate on these very fast, quiet and, otherwise, delightful drives as there were when the WD 1GB drives first came out, most of them defective, but replaced rapidly and satisfactorally with cross-shipping, in most instances.

At some point, IBM is going to have to deal with the public relations problem this has created, they just have not done so, yet.

"Also, it was said that RAID, bad/weak PS and frequent reboots were the culprits regarding dying GXPs." - as nearly as I can tell that is a total crock. Perhaps the lawsuit will prove the case, or whatever. Of course, the lawyers will get all the money, the end users MIGHT get the cost of the drives back and screwed, as usual. We have had to add budget items just to meet these unforseen problems, it has cost MUCH more than the cost of the drives, that is for sure.

... ah okay, thanks for your reply. well my PCs don't seem too threatening for HD's either, as my other brand HDs (WD, Maxtor) work nicely. I still can't understand why two successive HD series seem to have reliability problems, so I'm wondering how reliable the 120gxp series will prove to be - but I guess we're all very curious ;)

... ah okay, thanks for your reply. well my PCs don't seem too threatening for HD's either, as my other brand HDs (WD, Maxtor) work nicely. I still can't understand why two successive HD series seem to have reliability problems, so I'm wondering how reliable the 120gxp series will prove to be - but I guess we're all very curious ;)

It's quite possible for two successive products to have issues, as if it's a latent defect, it won't be spotted until the second product is well on its way to production. Figure in a short product development cycle, like 3 to 6 months, with more than one product "in the hatchery," so to speak, and I can see how it'd happen.

Talking about GXP75's, stanford had a failure with them in their genome@home stats server RAID 5 array:

"From: Stefan Mathias Larson <smlarson@s...>

Date: Fri Feb 1, 2002 6:15 pm

Subject: Re: [genomeathome] When will Stats be Fixed?

Hi,

It's taken a while, since it was a fairly major crash. For those who know

and/or care about these things, we run the stats off a server with a 5 x

75 Gb RAID(5) array. We had the unfortunate experience of two disk

failures in the same day. The redundancy of RAID(5) is such that it can

run if one disk goes down, but not two. All the disks are the notorious

IBM Deskstar 75 Gb model, which have been become infamous of late for

being exceedingly failure-prone. Needless to say, we're replacing them

with Maxtor's instead as we go along :-)

I fixed the hardware side of the stats db server last night, and it's in

the process of restoring from our off-site backup archives right now.

Since it's a large array that was almost full, it's taking a while. The

stats will be back up as soon as this afternoon or as late as Sunday

afternoon, depending on how things go.

Again, I'm very sorry about this inconvenience. We really are working as

fast as we can to get things back up.

Thanks for your patience . . . happy genoming.

- Stefan"

We had the unfortunate experience of two disk

failures in the same day.

oh my god, now THAT's bitter ... having an array built for redundancy and still losing the data. two failures the same day ... murphy's law doesn't get any better than this ... 8)

Yes, fortunately they were/are capturing data on another server, this database simply sorted and neatened up that data, so nothing has been lost (apart from about 2-3 days of uptime). IDE RAID 5 rebuild times aren't too good for 75GB or 5*75 lol. Just goes to show that no disk based system can compensate for off site backups.

I turned off SMART right from the drives instalation, I just had a feeling about extra progs getting in the way, less is more!

I had a look at the firmware updates but i was confused as to which one to use? What exactely are they? Like you the problem has not reapeared on mine since the my last post but just in case i have wiped my XP installation on my raid array and used them to backup up my working 98se drives. I have also used the IBM Fitness Test prog several times but no errors found, so I guess i have to wait until it decides to suprise me.

Derrick

First thing I found is to turn off S.M.A.R.T. in your BIOS for now, also there is a firmware update that seems to be working good for others.

Here is the link...http://www.geocities.com/dtla_update/

I am going to test our the firmware update sometime in the next couple days and I will report back here.

This is a follow up concerning the firmware update. I ran the setup to install the firmware and everything went good. It booted into Bos mode from a diskette and detected my old firmware and asked to upgrade. It was very easy and I am seeing no problems.

My IBM 75GXP went bye-bye! I installed the update firmware, seemed to be running fine. Then the grinding noise came back and the system will not recognize the hard drive now. Seems the firmware:

A. Did not work

B. Was too late getting installed

C. Made things worse

Oh well, RMA is the next thing.

I just did the firmware upgrade :( I haven't tried using the drive yet. Iwas was going to use the IBM drive Fitenss program to low level format it and then try loading it up again.

Was that firmware upgrade an IBM upgrade?

Derrick

My IBM 75GXP went bye-bye!  I installed the update firmware, seemed to be running fine.  Then the grinding noise came back and the system will not recognize the hard drive now.  Seems the firmware:

A. Did not work

B. Was too late getting installed

C. Made things worse

Oh well, RMA is the next thing.

Yes that was the generic firmware upgrade. But again, I was having the grinding noise occur before the upgrade, but that noise went away until recently. I think the drive was already falling down. I did not low-level format, which is something I was considering to do. I will not buy anymore IBM drives for the desktop.