Sign in to follow this  
Inexxess

Intermittent clicking sound with IBM Deskstart 120GXP

The drive lasted two days after the update until the grinding noise came back. Before that, everything seems nice and responsive. Must be the hardware engineering sucks.

I meant to say in my last post, bad luck that your's died on you. I know that mine will go soon so I've been buzy backing up to other drives.

Mine was making the scraping noises but hasn't done so for 4/5 days now. I did the upgrade today and i will LLF it and see what happens. Like you I will not buy another IBM drive as I've had one die on me before. Trouble is I recommended a friend buy one for his business and I told him today about the problems with them, first thing he did was to remind me that I recommended the the drive to him. Oh dear.

Derrick

A note on RAID arrays. I had four 75GXPs in RAID 0-1. Two died and took out the array. All four of them are out in the gargage now. No reason to RMA them and get a refurbished drive that is guaranteed to fail. As a result of this, I have resorted to buying my IDE drives from Costco. you pay a little more than at a computer show but if one fails, Costco gives you your money back. No questions asked, no time limits and no RMAs.

My 75GXP came back, I turned on the computer when I got home and it spun right up and no grinding noise. Woohoo, not sure how long this is going to last but at least I can LLF the drive now.

What do they call it...remision? hope it lasts!! Having said that I was going to LLF mine. But i couldn't actually find a LLF program or method of acheiving it. Any ideas?

My 75GXP came back, I turned on the computer when I got home and it spun right up and no grinding noise.  Woohoo, not sure how long this is going to last but at least I can LLF the drive now.

What do they call it...remision? hope it lasts!!  Having said that I was going to LLF mine.  But i couldn't actually find a LLF program or method of acheiving it.  Any ideas?

My 75GXP came back, I turned on the computer when I got home and it spun right up and no grinding noise.  Woohoo, not sure how long this is going to last but at least I can LLF the drive now.

Sure, do a search and Download.com using "low level format" there is LLF utility by Maxtor (I think) that let you do this. If you have a problem, email me @ ionfusion@yahoo.com, I will email you the file tonight.