Sign in to follow this  
EBB

WD2500JB

Has anyoeo used this new drive yet? I jhave noticed that they are on h4 usual sale/rebate at the dreaded CompuUSA. The packaging looks ot be of the very cheesy plastic nlbister variety, but the drive does have a 3-year warranty. I presume it is a 3 x 83 GB/platter drive with the typical WD whine that bores hloes in teh brain. Therefore, I would only use this drive for weklky or monthly backups.

Bettis

Still posting from your laptop Eric?

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. ;)

It is too bad that SR no longer tests the newest drives until after they have been on the market for a while.

If you are only going to use it for backups, then perhaps consider the Maxtor 250GB 5400rpm in the external FW/USB case? It's often a great deal at Dell Periphs when they have their 15/20% off promos.

LOST6200,

SR has had the scores only of the WD250 available since the middle of last week on their database (very similar to those of the 200)... even if there is no full review, the hard numbers are there, despite your worries, Eugene does a decent job!

Yéti

I don't follow the database unless there is a specific comparison that needs checking. Due to the large number of drives and lack of a sorting function, it is difficult to find an individual drive. It certainly is not worth scrutinizing the entire list every day, hoping to find a new one.

OK. After returning, I see that the drive has been reviewed. I suppose it will be OK for backups, but too noisy for general use.