Sign in to follow this  
jonscaife

Serial-ATA Power - Lack of it

So I get a "Serial ATA Ready" motherboard and a Serial ATA Seagate Hard Disk. The data cable comes with the motherboard (very kind of you asus) so that should be it, right? Err no! The Serial ATA Seagate (like all Serial ATA drives I assume) doesn't have a normal molex power socket. It has a 15 pin thingymajig. Did anyone supply me with an adaptor? as if! so now i have to find one, pay for it, and pay for the delivery! Why didn't anyone warn me! Its the first I've heard about it! Just to warn other people out there! :(

Current SATA drives ALL have regular molex power sockets, as well as the new SATA power connectors. This is proven by SR's reviews, all of which contain pictures of the rear of the drive, all of which include molex connectors.

Don't worry, they won't stop putting molex connectors on the backs of drives for at least a year. Not until most people have PSUs with SATA power connectors, in fact.

Spod

Sadly - and i can send you a photo if you like - my new Seagate Barracuda ATA V 120GB Serial-ATA drive does NOT have a molex connector. its has a small 4 pin connector that looks a bit like the 4 pin audio-cable connector on CD-ROM drives. it has a 7 pin serial ata data cable connector, and a 15 pin serial ata power connector. I have had to order an adapter online. Most places I enquired did not have any in stock yet but said they would soon. I eventually located one at www.overclock.co.uk (dunno if i'm allowed to post their address - but im just trying to help anyone else who is looking - im not making comment about the quality or value of the place mentioned)

cheers anyway

Okay, it's a fair cop, guv. I was in a rush, and didn't read your post properly. No need to post a picture - I believe you. I really thought that all SATA drives had the molex connector, but I was mistaken.

I'm surprised and disappointed that Seagate included neither a molex connector nor an adaptor - there are no PSU's currently available that have the new connector, and Seagate knows that.

Oh, and don't worry about posting links to vendors. SR doesn't sell anything, so they don't mind. They even have a seperate forum for posting great deals!

Sorry for causing confusion.

Spod

I think the retail boxed versions of the Seagate drives have the power adapter included. The OEM drives are made available as just the drives I think. Kind of sucks when you don't have an adapter cable laying around.

I found one here though.

Hope that will help get you running!

Free

The good news is, perhaps the lack of support for Molex connectors on some drives will speed the migration from that horribly designed power connector.

All of the 'cuda V's that we got in stock came with a molex to s-ata power connection converter, I presumed they where standard issue with the drives.... (we do have a couple of spares that we could sell, if you cant find any locally)...