Sign in to follow this  
Davin

Maxtor Atlas 15k

The mighty Cheetah 15k.3 has enjoyed six months of unchallenged supremacy. Maxtor, however, has delivered its first-ever 15,000 RPM SCSI offering. Does the Atlas 15k end Seagate's reign? Join us as we take a look!

Maxtor Atlas 15k Review

Guest russofris

In the imortal words of Frank Barone,

"Holy Crap!"

With the performance numbers shown here, I am really looking forward to testing these in the enterprise. Has there been any word on OEM's picking these drives up (HP, IBM, Dell) for use in their servers? It is nice to have another viable alternative to Seagate and Fujitsu, and everyone loves the underdog.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

Wow i predicted right, i knew the Atlas 15k was going to be a fast and strong drive, how ? looking at all their 10k drives and previous SCSI drives (allthough they are Quantum's technology) all the drives were allways superior to the ones on the market or second.

I'm going to stick with my 3 Seagate 15k.3 36GB drives though - the speed gain isn't that big, and I like the silence and low drive temperature of my 3 15k.3 very much.

I'll keep them and wait for Seagate to launch 15k.4 - maybe it'll take them a year - but that's OK with me.

Hopefully Seagate will continue to improve on the heat and noise level - making the 15k.4 as silent as the most quiet SATA drives - or close to 8)

15k.3 runs 5 degrees cooler than the Maxtor 15.4 drive - that's pretty much - don't think I would like to run 3 Maxtor 15.4 drives in my full tower cabinet - they would heat up my entire system.

i'm assuming the seagate's are quieter ?

From SR's results, yes.

WOW, now this drive is giving Seagate (the leader in SCSI) a run for its money! I can't wait to see what the next seagate 15K.4 will bring!

Sexy drive. Wording was, however, 'limited availability' and 'some carry it'.

Who? Where? :-) I'm looking to buy soon, and this might beat out the seagate 15k.3. I went through ~ 15 vendors including one that lied about a 10k iv being a 15k drive.. noone has it.

I would still go for the Seagate, personally. The performance is only marginally better -- certainly not to the point where it would be noticeable in daily usage. The fact that the 15k.3 is both quieter and cooler running (no active cooling needed) is a significant plus to me and to others who are concerned about quiet computing*.

*I never used to care about quiet computing... strange how it has crept up on me over the years.

I agree with e_dawg. This drive isn't wildly better than the 15k.3.

Unless it's priced agressively, it's really going to come down to a little heat noise for a little performance. While servers generally aren't going to notice the heat and noise, the desktop workstation will.

Pretty much trying to get the best of the best is something that i agree with, but SCSI was created and ment for servers or should i say heavy and intensive operations for all times or when needed, pretty much i dont mind getting a Seagate 15k or Maxtor 15k drive for Desktop use on my own personal computer but we are arguing on using this drives for regular use and its "5" degrees of higher heat from the Maxtor 15k to the competitor of heat make such a huge difference to desktop users but then again its for heavy duty stuff which you'll very well benefit from and get your moneys worth for it, am i right or wrong ???? i am whiling to listen to your opinions.

I am not trying to be the grammar police or anything, but I honestly can't understand what you are trying to say with possibly the world's longest run-on sentence. :wink:

I see 2 situations here:

1. Server Use: The Maxtor 15k is no better than the Seagate 15k.3 in server performance, so there would be no reason to choose it over a Seagate for a server application. Now, if you consider that Seagate's 15k server drives are more proven than Maxtor's, wouldn't that swing the balance slightly in favour of Seagate?

2. Desktop Use: On the desktop, the Maxtor outshines the Seagate by a slim margin. This would offer a bit of incentive to choose the Maxtor for a desktop application if performance were the only issue. However, noise and heat production are imporant issues to consider for desktop PC's -- obviously, for some more than others. Since the performance difference is rather small (7% in office apps, 2% in high end apps), but the difference in noise and heat production is rather significant (2 dB noise, 5 deg C -- that's equivalent to the difference between 2 different rpm classes!), the advantage IMO goes to Seagate.

If I'm keeping score, that's 2-0 for Seagate.

Don't get me wrong, folks, the Maxtor is an excellent drive in its own right -- but I personally find nothing compelling about it over the Seagate.

one thing though, is that little noise really that anoying ? i asked so manny people and they dont give a crap about the drive making noices in their opinions. I in my opinion dont really mind hearing the drive in fact id love to hear the drive seek to tell me the drive is doing its work or sounds good telling me its not failling. Also not bad for first generation of new desings, the first 15k drive by Maxtor (Quantum's Technology pretty much) and if Seagate (which i like their drives also) makes a Cheetah 15.4k, then imagine what a next generation of 15k II Atlas Hard Drive can do. Seagate is currently on 3rd generation, Maxtor is on its first one ever.

I don't know what it is Maxtor storage, but quiet computing has become more important to me over the years. Maybe it's because I'm getting older? I don't know... I used to think exactly the same way. In fact, if SR didn't lose everything pre Oct 2001, I would have shown you a post of me in 2000 saying the same thing you are saying right now: "who cares about noise?"

But you're right... Atlas 15k is quite impressive for Maxtor's first attempt at a 15k drive. I'm not disappointed with the drive or anything; I just think the Seagate is better for my purposes.

I will probably end up with the Seagate simply because of availability. All other things being equal I tend to go with a drive that is on its third generation because it seems more likely that the bugs are wellknown/fixed.

Mostly I wanted to compare price :-)

E_dawg: well the thing is that if your trying to go to sleep, of course noices bother you or me--->(doesnt like the whining experience of a drive on IDLE) but i got used to it anyways lol. but if your awake well pretty much noices dont bother me at all. ALso one thing i really forgot was the performance and the price...if one is cheaper and performs better are you left with any choices in that situation ?

o my lord!!! what is that :lol: , a Hard drive with that noise im afraid it would make a twister out of your house!!....anyways what is that ? i cant beleave thats a Hard Drive

Well.. We still haven't talked about price.. Where have the Atlas 15k's been seen for sale? For how much??

I agree with whomever said it, that I will probably go with the 15k.3 based on availability alone.. But, if the Atlas was the same price, and I could order it tonight; I would.....

-Jer

PS: sharkeeper, that is the scariest sounding thing.. is it shifting? I thought my tower was loud, but that brings a whole new dimension...

We have the Maxtor Atlas 15K available here in au, and they are at a MUCH better price than the Seagates I'm talking near 50$ less (and that's at a distro level, for a end user they would most likely see it at closer to 150-200$ less)

No.

Even the rumour mill has been quiet when it comes to the next generation of SCSI drives - the Next Big Thing for SCSI seems to be the move to a 2.5 inch form factor.

Don't expect any exciting new SCSI drives for at least 6 months, probably longer. Maybe they're waiting for Serial Attached SCSI to launch their new lines, but that's a wild guess.