Sign in to follow this  
Knoxville

quietest 7.200 drive !?

Hi !

My system is complete watercooled (cpu,gpu,hds,psu), the loudest part is/will be the hardrive. Right now I use 5 seagate barracuda iv 80 gig hds, but I need more space.

I bought a barracuda v 120gb, but it is louder than the iv series. So I must return it and go for another drive. The samsung 120 gb is very quiet, but too slow for my needs. The Maxtor Diamond Max 9 pro 120 (6Y120L0) or 160 gb series seems very interesting for me, but I do not know the noise difference between the barracuda iv and max 9 pro. Can anyone tell me ???

thx

Fron reading several threads here, it seems that HDD noise is not consistent enough to really spec by model...

e.g. SR's 'Cuda V was significantly quieter than their IV...

This means that you might just need to search for a "golden sample" drive. This is made even more difficult by the fact that drive acoustics can change significantly after a few days/weeks....

My system is complete watercooled (cpu,gpu,hds,psu)

Watercooled PSU - was that a homemade mod, or a kit of some kind? Was it worth the effort, given that you'd then need a bigger/better radiator?

I bought a barracuda v 120gb, but it is louder than the iv series.

It shouldn't be, but the question is in what way? There are different types of noise. If it's vibration noise then having a look at how it's fitted to the bay might do a lot of difference, like using some soft vibration absorbing material between the bay and the bay and the rest of the case. If on the other hand it's the high pitched idle motor noise then you might be qualified for RMA'ing the drive since then there seems to be somehing slightly wrong with the unit you got.

Watercooled PSU - was that a homemade mod, or a kit of some kind? Was it worth the effort, given that you'd then need a bigger/better radiator?

yeah, it is homemade .. I use an extern radiator (from a mercedes sl v12 motor) there is no prob with the cooling performance. 30 liters water are also in the game. Well I must do a lot of work in front of my computer, at least 10 hours a day - this is why i switched to watercooling, not for overclocking reasons. Nevertheless I just played around with an t-bird b xp1800 and ended at a speed of "real" 2.55 ghz -> xp3700+ pr-rating says sisoft sandra 2003 ... it is running with 204 (2 x twinmos/winbond 512mb modules at 5-2-2-2.0 settings) x 12,5 .. since 4 days rockstable running prime95/sandra burn-in/encoding video 24/7 like. This is a nice side-effect of watercooling :P