Sign in to follow this  
donkeyotea

Seagate cuda V or IBM 180gxp?

I'm planning to buy a new hdd, I have narrowed down my search to a 120gb drive of either IBM or seagate make. 8O

Right now I have the very loud :x and slow :evil: ibm 34gxp (20gig), which is nigh on packed. Now I've heard that the 180gxp makes loud seek noises which would be worrying as I can't stand the noise from my current ibm.

So what I'm asking is, should I sacrifice some performance for peace and quite or is the difference in volume not worth it? Any help is much appreciated.

You could always enable AAM on the 180gxp... as it is, it is probably quieter than my seagate ATA IV when idle... both have AAM turned to maximum performance, however both are still pretty quiet.

I guess I should also note that seeks on the 180gxp are not "loud" they are just *louder* than the peace and quiet when the drive is idling. You won't be dissapointed.

It really depends how anal you are about noise. When given a choice of 2 drives -- one "extremely quiet", the other one "quiet, but faster" -- I would always take the faster drive.

Note that you can always take steps to silence your HD. Here are some techniques: http://forums.storagereview.net/viewtopic....p?p=91088#91088

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'll go for the IBM after all, I'm not sure how anal :lol: I'm about sound but I'm probably not that sensitive as my current ibm only started to get irritating when i loaded win xp (pro) on it.

BTW what exactly is AAM (I'm guessing some sort of noise reducing feature) and how does it affect performance?

cheers

I only have limited practical experience since my first and so far only 180GXP is in the RMA loop to be replaced for (hopefully) being more noisy than it should be. But if you want to be really safe on the noise side, and we're talking about that hellish high pitched idle noise that most drives have, go with the Seagate Barracuda 5. I'll see how my new 180GXP behaves in a couple of weeks or so, to see if I should have gone with the safer choice.

BTW what exactly is AAM (I'm guessing some sort of noise reducing feature) and how does it affect performance?

It can only reduce seek noises (clicking and that kind of stuff), wich really isn't amongst the worst noises a drive typically makes. On the Seagates the quiet mode only results in a loss of about 1ms of seek time, but on the 180GXP it's a lot, lot more so you'll typically not want to touch that setting.

But if you want to be really safe on the noise side, and we're talking about that hellish high pitched idle noise that most drives have, go with the Seagate Barracuda 5.

I don't really notice the hdd idle noise(there is a general whirr of fan noise coming from the box, I can't distinguish the hdd sound if any), its the loud creaking clickety clack sound when an application/windows is loading that drives me around the loop. I think I might risk the IBM and hopefully I won't get shafted too badly.

I don't really notice the hdd idle noise(there is a general whirr of fan noise coming from the box, I can't distinguish the hdd sound if any), its the loud creaking clickety clack sound when an application/windows is loading that drives me around the loop.

That noise can virtually be eliminated by using the right AAM setting. What you have to do is download the IBM FeatureTool http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm and set the AAM mode to quiet.

I would also recommend the noise reduction techniques outlined in the link I provided several posts up.

What you have to do is download the IBM FeatureTool http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm and set the AAM mode to quiet.

Wich unfortunately has such a big effect on performance that one could simply have gotten a Seagate to begin with. At least on my 180GXP the difference was huge in quiet mode. Seagates drives does not need case wadding either, bar possibly some vibration if the case is prone to amplify that kind of noise. That can usually be countered fairly well with anti-vibration materials like rubber rather than sound proofing material. Avoid nonstandard solutions, get quiet running parts. I've learned that the hard way.

Yeah, good point... but who knows? Maybe our friend can apply some of the noise reduction techniques and find that he can easily tolerate the 180GXP with its AAM set to max performane...

All my drives are set to max performance because I always make a point of applying noise reduction techniques to my drives/cage, and case. And I barely hear a peep out of them when they're seeking.

But you are right: the easiest and safest way to do it is just to by getting a Cuda V. Install it and enjoy. End of story.

I have 3 'cuda V's. I bought the 60GB model 'cause they are 1 platter and I figure they are the coolest and quietest you can get. I'm not disappointed. They seem even quieter than my DM Plus 9. I also like the "Seaguard", basically a metal cover that protects the electronics.

I'm a little bit confused now 8O , I have been looking through the forum's archive and I came across this link:

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/448/page27.html

it seems to show that the ibm 180gxp has the lowest seek time of any 120gb size drive. this seems a bit strange, overall i'm still favouring the IBM slightly. The dampning techniques might also be an option.

P.S Does anyone have any idea how these new drives compare to my old 34gxp, wrt noise and speed?

cheers,

BTW, it's more accurate to call the drive you're considering a "Hitachi" than an "IBM". IBM sold their hard drive unit in an effort to distance themselves from the quality problems that plagued their 75GXP line.

IBM sold their hard drive unit in an effort to distance themselves from the quality problems that plagued their 75GXP line.

That would be interesting, if it were true.

The real reason is that, like everyone else in the the hard drive industry, IBM was not making big bucks; so, like Quantum, they sold the business to another manufacturer. Furthurmore, IBM is not the hardware company that they once were, and the drive business has fit in less and less.

IBM sure do love their services, don't they.

wow, with AAM on quiet my 180GXP goes from 12.3 to 18.3ms access time... but it is silent...

Truethfully I dont care if i hear the drive seek.. I like to hear the drive seek... it's a nice acoustic reminder that my computer is working. The 180GXP seeks are not obtrusive in the least, so I'd personally buy another consider it's wone of the best vaules in the IDE market at the moment.

That would be interesting, if it were true.

The real reason is that, like everyone else in the the hard drive industry, IBM was not making big bucks;  so, like Quantum, they sold the business to another manufacturer.  Furthurmore, IBM is not the hardware company that they once were, and the drive business has fit in less and less.

Yeah, why build hard drives when you can make big bucks doing insulting like Accenture. I'm being sarcastic of course. The consulting business is in the stinker-can right now. Everybody is hiring offshore indian outsourced bodies to do IT. Only the insurance companies and defense contractors are making good money right now with all the terrorist fear. The conservative investment banks are doing okay as well, though they are laying sales people off quietly.

Consider the chart comparing the last two years of Accenture vs. Maxtor:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?d=c&c=MXO&k=c1&...=s&l=on&z=m&q=l

I don't see much difference.

Now throw in IBM.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?d=c&c=MXO+IBM&k...=s&l=on&z=m&q=l

Interesting. IBM sucks.

Maxtor's PEG ratio is pretty awesome by the way, a .66.

Accenture's is decent, near 1.

IBM's sucks at 1.86. If course it looks a bit better if IBM is still giving a dividend these days.

Somebody at IBM just got fed-up with dealing with IBM's crappy hard drive business. All of IBM's best execs and probably their engineers went to competitors. The present and former CEO of Maxtor are ex-IBMers.

Well, I just ordered the 180gxp, fingers crossed. I checked the spec at the hitachi website and apparently the 180gxp is at least twice as fast as my 34gxp and at its worst the seek noise is as loud as the 34's idle noise at its quietest 8O I think I can cope with that :D

I also checked the spec for the seagate and that seems to have a significantly quieter seek sound using AAM (at a smaller cost probably), I suspect I wouldn't notice the difference, the performance seek noise is apparently equivelant...

Finally I would like to thank everyone for their help and advice, during this trying period :)

Good luck there, donkeyotea. I hope you get one that has lower idle noise than mine. Seek crunching sounds feels homey in comparison to idle whirring. 8)