Sign in to follow this  
F8

Windows XP and SCSI performance... again. Cas?

:arrow: Sorry to flog the dead horse on this issue, but I am still at a loss.

My system stats are:

ABIT KR7A-RAID w/Athlon XP 1800+ @1.7ghz

512 megs pc2700 DDR ram

PNY GF4 ti4600

SB Audigy

Seagate Cheetah ST318451LW© 15k RPM 3.9ms read 19gig

Adaptec 29160 SCSI card in PCI slot 1

SCSI: DVD, CD-RW and CD-ROM

2 Maxtor 40 gig 7200rpm ata133 HD's RAID-0

Windows XP pro SP1a, latest bios/drivers for all devices above

:cry:

Ok, so my system should be fast right? The latest adaptec drivers allow you to enable write cache. The RAID drives are running at a decent speed, however the SCSI is at ~30mb/sec. I have installed Cas' XPCacheFilter(the exe didn't work, so I did it manually). I have applied the VIA latency patch, upgraded to SP1a and messed around w/the cachefilter numerous times. No matter what I do I am still getting 30mb/sec. Am I a noob and missing something, shouldn't I be around 100mb/sec? When I install the cachefilter, the exe just tells me to reboot, and no files are copied... when I manually do it, it is not listed under non-pnp devices in device manager, but it IS under 'disk drives/scsi blah/drivers'. Either way the disk performance is worse than a 25$ IDE HD :evil: . HELP! :cry:

P.S. I have read all the posts on SR and hardwarereview and the windows site etc etc... did I miss something?

is that burst or sustained? if burst, i'd be concerned. But if it's sustained, slight concern but not as much as if it were burst.

SiSoftware Sandra

Test Status

SMP Test : No

Total Test Threads : 1

SMT Test : No

Dynamic MP/MT Load Balance : No

Processor Affinity : No

Windows Disk Cache Used : No

Use Overlapped I/O : Yes

IO Queue Depth : 8 request(s)

Test File Size : 511MB

File Server Optimised : Yes

Benchmark Breakdown

Buffered Read : 33 MB/s

Sequential Read : 29 MB/s

Random Read : 10 MB/s

Buffered Write : 15 MB/s

Sequential Write : 26 MB/s

Random Write : 12 MB/s

Average Access Time : 4 ms (estimated)

Personally, I use the windows performance monitor to determine the HD read/write speeds.

I think this gives real world performance figures when you're actually stressing the system. For example, copying large video files from one drive to another, or such.

:roll: well I have also used ATTO to benchmark and CASCOPY... ATTO gave the same info as Sandra, so I don't know what to do.

Ok, so my system should be fast right? The latest adaptec drivers allow you to enable write cache. The RAID drives are running at a decent speed, however the SCSI is at ~30mb/sec. I have installed Cas' XPCacheFilter(the exe didn't work, so I did it manually). I have applied the VIA latency patch, upgraded to SP1a and messed around w/the cachefilter numerous times. No matter what I do I am still getting 30mb/sec. Am I a noob and missing something, shouldn't I be around 100mb/sec?  When I install the cachefilter, the exe just tells me to reboot, and no files are copied... when I manually do it, it is not listed under non-pnp devices in device manager, but it IS under 'disk drives/scsi blah/drivers'. Either way the disk performance is worse than a 25$ IDE HD  :evil: . HELP!  :cry:

P.S. I have read all the posts on SR and hardwarereview and the windows site etc etc... did I miss something?

Read this http://forums.storagereview.net/viewtopic....49f3fff88c41927

Hi vltk, thanks for responding, I have seen your helpful comments in the threads regarding this issue. I have been to that thread which lead me to download Windows XP SP1a update. I used that and there was nothing changed. The actual thread you posted contains a fix for win2k but not for XP... any other ideas?

There is a program called dskcache.exe that microsoft boasts about as a solution to this problem. But they give no way to obtain it and after scouring the net, there is no trace of this file... I am still at a loss, and pissed that my system is bottlenecked with my 15k rpm ultra 160 SCSI hd!?!? :evil:

Your drive is a first generation Cheetah. The transfer rate of this drive starts at around 40MB and drops to around 28MB by the end. The more data you already have on the drive, the closer to the 28MB your benchmark results will be.

I believe there is nothing wrong with your system. It's the expectations that are off.