Sign in to follow this  
EdT

Need a Laser Printer !

The FS-1000 is a 12ppm and the FS-1010 14ppm. The FS-1010 has 16MB base RAM, expandable to 272MB :!: With the 200MHz PPC CPU, half the power of a PowerMAC in a printer - not bad ...

Unfortunately, I unintentionally misled you earlier Pradeep - these newer printers use standard 100-pin DIMMs, not 168 - sorry. :( 

100-pin DIMMs cost about the same as laptop SO-DIMMs. A 32MB costs about US$30 and a 64MB US$45. The FS-1010 costs about US$40 more than the FS-1000, so with its 16MB and Postscript as standard it may suit you better.

Thanks for the info Time. So the FS-1010 uses a 100 pin dimm? and the 1000 uses a 168pin? I'll definitely be getting the fs-1010 anyway, all those extras for only a smidge more money. And they both use the same toner cartridges. :D Just got to watch that I get the 6000 page cart and not the starter 3000 page one.

I bought a Lexmark Optra S 2455 on Friday at an auction. It's a 24 ppm business printer, the one I got also has a 10/100 network port.

The printer cost A$240, or about US$120. It has 1.4M pages on it which is about 15 months use at its rated duty cycle (100,000 pages per month) and therefore it's still in great condition (warranty is three years). And best of all is of course that it's a true 1200dpi and very, very fast. It came with the standard 2 500 sheet paper bins, the inbuilt 250 one, and the duplexer as well. Bargain!

In short, I second the suggestion that buying high quality business printers second hand and cheap is a good idea - they're built like tanks and you often get much more than you could get in a personal printer.

The Lexmark 1855s were going for A$170 or thereabouts (US$85), which is amazing for a workhorse 18ppm printer.

I also got a nice Canon laser fax for A$45, or about US$22...

I bought a Lexmark Optra S 2455 on Friday at an auction. It's a 24 ppm business printer, the one I got also has a 10/100 network port.

The printer cost A$240, or about US$120. I also got a nice Canon laser fax for A$45, or about US$22...

You bastard! :D

Did you guys catch that TigerDirect stock clearance sale of the Minolta-QMS PagePro 4110W laser for $200? It's an older host-based printer (*inconsequential* processor, no PCL/PS capability nor fonts, limited RAM, you get the idea), hard to believe it sold for 600 bucks before :)

Then again, it is true 1200x1200 at 18ppm, rated for 75,000 prints per month duty cycle, and has many of the workgroup/SOHO-level expandibility options you would expect (10/100 web thin server, full-speed duplexer, multiple 500-sht bins, scanner/copier attachment with optional ADF, etc).

But those options are still full-priced -- duplexer alone is $350-400, 9K toner is like $200 (though to be fair it doesn't need to replace drum), etc. A friend bought it and plans to just use it until the bundled toner runs out, then junk it (comes w/ a 5K toner).

Personally, if you're looking for the cheapest full-featured personal laser with the cheapest consumables (toner), I'd suggest the Brother HL-1650 (just dropped to $370 recently). Their 6.5K toner is only $55(!) and 20K drum is $103. It's a 16ppm, 2400x600 printer (Brother claims 1200-quality, but I'd be wary of this) and comes with built-in 2 input bins, built-in duplexer, "pseudo" PS3/PCL6 capability. There's also a really cheap $105 10/100 web thin server board add-on (good support including IPP), and an additional 250-sht input tray for $115.

Just a note, last I checked, the other HL-1600 models haven't dropped in price, for example, the 1650N with the built-in 10/100 is $575 ($200+ more than the $1650, whereas you can get the 10/100 option for just $105 like I said).

Whoa, I totally missed JamesW's bargain post. You Australians are so lucky! I wonder where these auctions are being held (I've never been to one)...

ArticChicken: I was refererring to the HP 4 Plus, thoose are simply the best lasers made by HP in the last ten years, although they are great for as business or network printers as I use them at the office at work, they are a bit of a overkill for my home office needs. I finally found a place locally that had a dozen of totally factory refurbished 5L and 6L lasers that had all its feed rollers replaced, these units look new out of a box. I paid $150cdn for the printer and another $40 (total $190cdn or $125us tax included) for the toner cartridge/drum. Some might call me crazy, but after doing some research and looking at the available makes at the local electronics outlets, this was the best choice. The closest laser within that price range was a Samsung ML-4500 at $250 +tax, even though I heard of the good reviews for this printer, I did not like the quality of components in this printer and also the fact that in 2-3 years it will take Sherlock Holmes to find the toner cartridges, but with a HP laser, I can find new or recharged toner/drums virtually everywhere at a good price. What do you guyz think ?

I can also vouch for Okidata LED printers being workhorses. My OL400E would still be in full time use if I didn't need to move to a 600 dpi model. It got me through college and beyond with nary a complaint. The only maintenance I have to do to it is get a spring replaced in the tray and finally change the image drum. I've fed it some cleaning sheets and toner and that's been about it for the past 10 years. I don't expect it to fail anytime soon.

My current printer is an OkiPage 10e and has been equally as resilient over the past 2 years. I maxed out the RAM on it (36MB) and it prints pretty much whatever I throw at it.

I'm still on my second toner cartridge, and the printer was used to print out way too many resume's when I was looking for a new job.

As for HP's we use tons of them at my current job, ranging from some very messy 4si's that keep soldiering on, 4's that should probably be honorably discharged, to 5p's & 6p's that are fairly docile and really only jam in two places (under the toner or in the back) to 2100s & 2200's that are fine as long as you don't use their drivers, to 4000's & 4100's that eat a healthy diet of rollers -it's a law firm, where we spit on the idea of the papeless office 24/7 ;) - to some 5Si/8000/8100's which are decent if you keep them fed with toner and don't abuse the trays, along with some Color 4550's (Run if asked to change the toner on this thing) to the printer my grandma's goldfish could have designed better, the LaserJet 5000. We all despise it, but it's the only close to desktop size printer HP's got that will feed paper wider than 8 1/2 inches, which enough users still need to print (damn those behind the times courts anyhow) bluebacks that are too wide for the 4000's & 4100's. Each has it's own set of idiosyncracies, but overall they'e ok save for the cheap plastic the trays are made of.

My main gripe about HP's is their toner cartridges. They're probably the biggest by design rip off in history. Why? You get to spend a minimum of $50 for an HP cartridge which replaces the image drum at the same time, and the extra capacity ones for their bigger printers cost as much as an inkjet. By comparison, the most I've ever paid for toner for my Okidata was $25. It's typically around $20. You might get some leakage when changing them, but other wise it's nothing major. Now those old 4si's on the other hand, they leak so much I expect to see clouds of toner puff out of them one of these days.

My main gripe about HP's is their toner cartridges. They're probably the biggest by design rip off in history. Why? You get to spend a minimum of $50 for an HP cartridge which replaces the image drum at the same time, and the extra capacity ones for their bigger printers cost as much as an inkjet. By comparison, the most I've ever paid for toner for my Okidata was $25. It's typically around $20. You might get some leakage when changing them, but other wise it's nothing major. Now those old 4si's on the other hand, they leak so much I expect to see clouds of toner puff out of them one of these days.

Mostly all HP toner/drum cartridges can be refilled/recharged on toner for 3-5 times before the drum wears out. Just had my recharged for under $35us, a new one costs like $100. Most shops will just swap your old empty cartridge for a new refurbished one, they even deliver ![/b]