Sign in to follow this  
OldGuy

Noisy 180GXP, normal or bad drive?

I had a Barracuda 4 running alone until today when I added an IBM 180GXP to the system. Reading reviews everywhere about how silent it was made me take a leap of faith towards IBM. The problem is, this drive is not silent. The idle whirr is not too high but it's clearly audible, like probably a bit less than the older GXP drives. But the Barracuda 4 has none of that sound audible from outside the case. Still reviews claim it's close to Seagates audible levels. So is there a chance this drive is bad? Seems to be working fine otherwise. No clicking or anything. I have an otherwise fairly silent system and if one thing can give me a headache it's high pitched noise. Was I a fool to believe all the reviews?

Made some more testing. The drive seems healty, except for heavy sawtoothing in the HDTach graph. Somewhere between 0-2GB at the start of the drive it dips down below 10MB/s. For whatever that may indicate or not.

Both my 120GXPs and my single 180 GXP are/were very quiet.. I would say comparable to my ATA IV as far as idle goes.. they, of course, have a louder seek noise.

Thanks. Then this one will definitely go back to the retailer. Just a bit more dough to dish out, a number of weeks of waiting and then it should be fine. :?

I have both the Cuda IV and the 180GXP. Neither drive is in AAM mode. The Seagate's idle is quieter (totally silent, actually, which I LOVE), and it's considerably quieter while seeking too (which is not so impt to me). Every now and then, my IBM makes a loud 1-2 second squelling noise (probably thermal recalibration) which my Seagate never did (this noise gets annoying). OTOH, the IBM is MUCH faster and most of the time, not much louder than the Seagate. Tradeoffs, I suppose.

I feel bad for all the drive makers who put up with consumers returning perfectly good drives just because they're slightly audible. It seems pretty wasteful to me. No wonder warranties fell from 3 yrs to 1 yr. :(

Every now and then, my IBM makes a loud 1-2 second squelling noise (probably thermal recalibration)

Are you sure it's just a temporal noise? These high freqency tones are very "directional" in a sense as turning the head a number of degrees may make it seem to go away.

I feel bad for all the drive makers who put up with consumers returning perfectly good drives just because they're slightly audible.

Well if they are supposed to be quiet that's a part of what sells the product. There's no way I would buy a Western Digital today for instance. And in this case there's also the heavy sawtoothing and early dip below 10MB/s in the performance graph wich may also indicate some physical flaw. Wich in turn may be what creates this louder, constant, high tone beep.

Different people hear differently, some people might pick up high pitched noise better, and these people are sometimes bothered by hard drive spindle motors. I'm sensitive to high pitched noises, but I don't mind the whine of a spinning harddrive(I don't like bearing whine, however).

Here are some tips on quieting your drives, should the new 180GXP not be as silent as you'd like:

http://forums.storagereview.net/viewtopic....p?p=91088#91088

Every now and then, my IBM makes a loud 1-2 second squelling noise (probably thermal recalibration)
Are you sure it's just a temporal noise? These high freqency tones are very "directional" in a sense as turning the head a number of degrees may make it seem to go away.

My 180GXP also does this. Its definatly head movement and is getting very annoying. Also there is an annoying secondary ticking during seeks. Same with AAM on or off.

here is the offical reply from hitachi:

The sound that you have heard is the recalibration sound that the drive

will makes every 10-20 mins.

In order to gain more information about your problem you need to run a

utility called Drive Fitness Test on the drive. This will establish

the

cause of your problem.

Please download Drive Fitness Test from the following URL:

http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/dow...ownload.htm#DFT

Run the quick test first, and if you receive the result 0x00, then run

the

advanced test.

I figured it was some kind of recailbration. Dam annoying as my computer is in our living room and the missus is starting to complain about it. Hitatchi's response still doesn't expain the "ticking" noise though.

The strange secondary ticking is more worring though as it sounds like the head jumping sectors during seeks. This coupled with the recalibration every 10 minutes tends to suggest that the drive may not be the most robust in the world (this one replaced my 2 75GXPs which I've had for 3 years and still work fine). No other drives I've used recalibrated quite so often or "ticked" like this. It's a pity none of the reviews I read before I purchased it picked up on this. Anyway it's still working and passed all DFT tests so Hitachi are very unlikely to want to swap it out.