Davin

Western Digital Raptor WD360GD

Currently, there's a new version of the WD360GD 36 GB Raptor in production. It appears to be using FDB bearings, and it has improved firmware that puts it somewhere between the original 36 GB Raptor and the 74 GB Raptor in performance.

Unfortunately, there's no sure way of identifying the revision of the drive before you buy it, but you can have a listen afterwards, and check certain benchmarks, search the computing forum for more details - I don't have the time or the memory to find out right now.

Presumably, all WD360GD production will shift to the new revision given enough time, and gradually the original version will become rarer in the channel.

I have just bought 2 new western digital 36 GB Raptor hard drives. I want to raid the drives using stripped raid but can’t get them to show whilst installing windows XP I have got the drives visible on the raid controller.

When I start the windows XP installation I then hit F6 and install the raid controller but it can’t find one and I can’t find a driver to help?

Really, this should have been posted in the computing forum.

Your motherboard manufacturer should have supplied or offered for download a utility to create a floppy with the drivers for your RAID controller. You put that in when you've hit F6, and select the driver from the list presented. If that doesn't work, start a thread in the computing forum.

I'll add that RAID 0 is of little benefit in most desktop and gaming situations, and you may get more mileage from setting them up independently with your pagefile on the second drive, OS/Apps/Games on the first. But I won't go into detail here - there are plenty of recent threads in the computing forum, and a couple of good FAQs relating to this.

Really, this should have been posted in the computing forum.

Your motherboard manufacturer should have supplied or offered for download a utility to create a floppy with the drivers for your RAID controller. You put that in when you've hit F6, and select the driver from the list presented. If that doesn't work, start a thread in the computing forum.

I'll add that RAID 0 is of little benefit in most desktop and gaming situations, and you may get more mileage from setting them up independently with your pagefile on the second drive, OS/Apps/Games on the first. But I won't go into detail here - there are plenty of recent threads in the computing forum, and a couple of good FAQs relating to this.

Yes you were right I got the driver off of the abit website but I find that my computer now keeps crashing and doing a system Dump (BSOD) sometimes whilst running some programs. I am not necessary using all of my computer power but I think it is a problem with the accessing of data on my HDD. Thanks for the help

Dan