Davin

Western Digital Raptor WD360GD

Hi,

Can i just ask if the WD Raptor situation has been clarified, and if it has, what the outcome is.

If it turns out that WD did indeed submit 'souped up' drives for testing that are not available through retail channels, should that benchmark not be removed from the database?

Chrs

Essentially, if you buy one you can expect the performance from the entry in the performance database labelled '3rd sample'.

Eugene, what is the plan for the Raptor in the database? It seems that the 3rd sample entry is more representative of what's publicly available, so perhaps it should be the primary entry, and the other can be relabelled pre-release or some such? Maybe that's what you're thinking and you're just waiting until you're able to finish the re-review.

I have two Raptors set in raid"0" almost successful in multiboot,xphome;I am having last step blues; i need to edit my OS auto detect in startup options ;I have used "PartitionManager" to fix things this far; copied system partition to array;

I just lack the boot loader thing or there's shown an option to install a new OS, if I could trust it to not zap my "c" like already experienced at.

To set my regular system drive hidden scares me cuz what if I was unable to undo this?

I will get it but I will graciously appreciate advise, if I have offered adequate info, if not I will

thanks!

http://mp3.com/Jbon

I built a PC with Biostar's IDEQ 200N, which has an nForce2 board and a dual-SATA/RAID controller. I made a RAID 0 array with 2 of these drives (Raptor 360) and the performance is unbelievable.

The only snags I had with configuration were:

• WinXP install - I really wanted to create a single CD-R with my SATA/RAID controller drivers right on it, but ultimately I had to do the lame floppy solution.
  • Old SATA/RAID controller BIOS - I kept running into no-boot scenarios at first, and finally determined my SATA/RAID drivers were too new - got them off the Web - and I had to use the much older ones provided to me by Biostar.

The SATA/RAID controller is a Via VT6420 chip that Biostar included in the nForce2 board.

As I said, the performance is really amazing. From pressing the power button to being able to interact with my desktop, it's 55 seconds - and that's with a ton of peripherals and crap initializing along the way. Photoshop loads in less than 8 seconds, all my games in less than 5, and anything else loads in a negligible amount of time.

And best of all, gaming is the smoothest it's ever been. It's amazing how many little pauses there are in games that have disappeared, and in-between load times are basically just a flash of a load screen and the game continues.

Very sweet. These are the drives to buy for new desktops. I've only managed to use 20gb of the 70gb I have to play with, so even a single Raptor would do - although a RAID 0 of the new 72gb drives could feed Video Editor types.

This may be slightly off topic, but I was curious--is there any word on the next generation of Raptors? I know they're supposed to be released soon, but I can't seem to find any vendors with them, or any news on them at all. I've been waiting for these new drives to retire my IBM 15K.3. Any news would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Spec

This may be slightly off topic, but I was curious--is there any word on the next generation of Raptors? I know they're supposed to be released soon, but I can't seem to find any vendors with them, or any news on them at all. I've been waiting for these new drives to retire my IBM 15K.3. Any news would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Spec

The 74Gb version is now available for ~$300

Really? What vendors are selling them? Also, do you know if they'll release a 36GB version? Thanks for the response.

Spec

I am interested in the new 36Gb version as well, but I didn't see that at any of the vendors yet.

I also wonder how to identify a WD360GD if it's the new or the old one...

Looking at the WD web-site there is no new version of the 36gb drive. The only 36gb 10k rpm SATA drive listed has the same specs as the old model, so presumably it is unchanged.

To get the higher performance it looks like you will need to buy the bigger drive. Both are single platter 2 head designs, with each head scanning one side of the disk.

The 36gb model therefore had an unformatted data density of around 40gb a platter, 20gb a side. Pretty low by todays standards

The newer drive has a much greater data density than the old one, around 80gb a platter, 40gb a side - which is on a par with the largest 7500k rpm drives such as the Hitachi (IBM) deathstar 7k250. This is probably most of the reason for the substantial performance improvement.

It is possible that WD will market a single platter 1 head design of the new version some time in the new year when the novelty of the 74gb drive has reduced. The cash saving would be in the need for only one actuator arm and head, so once they get sufficient economies of scale in producing the actual disks, it is possible that the 36gb version of the new drive could be cheaper to produce (and hopefully sell) than the old 36gb drive.

I will stop wittering on now. :)

Nice speculation, but if you read the forum, you should visit StorageReview as well :P :

The Scoop on the New Raptor 15 September 2003

As rumored over the past few weeks, today Western Digital announces a new version of its 10,000 RPM serial ATA Raptor drive. Driven to greater-than-anticipated success by the gaming and enthusiast markets, WD’s new drives will feature the following:

74-gigabyte capacity – perhaps the most significant improvement is the migration to a two-platter flagship design.

37 GB Platters – the aggregate areal density of the new Raptor will remain the same as the first. Linear density, however, has increased, to achieve:

72 MB/sec outer-zone transfer rates – though we’ve pointed out that STR is non-consequential in the large majority of uses, some folks were disappointed with the 55 MB/sec that the first Raptor delivered. WD is confident enough with new yields to spec a transfer rate that rivals the best available from today’s disks.

4.5 millisecond seek time – current Raptor drives spec at 5.2 milliseconds.

TCQ enabled – matching a feature available on all contemporary SCSI drives, the new Raptor will feature tagged command queuing… that is, device-level reordering of outstanding requests for more efficient service times.

FDB motors – though quiet from an emitted sound-pressure perspective, the original Raptor emitted a slight high-pitch idle whine that could irritate sensitive ears. WD has been on the slow side when it comes to migrating to fluid bearing motors when compared to other manufacturers. Fortunately, the new Raptor uses quieter and ostensibly more reliable FDB motors.

There will also be a corresponding single-platter 37 GB unit. Interestingly, the new Raptors will still use an onboard PATA-to-SATA bridge disdained by many enthusiasts. When hot-swap functionality, command queuing, and the potential for blazing performance remain, however, why should we care? Performance and functionality, not PCB layouts, remain the bottom line.

When will these units hit the channel? Late October / early November seems to be the timeframe. We’ll bring you more information when we can .

Csybe,

I had read this entry of the 15th September, but it is actually out of date. WD website has just put up the detailed spec of the new 74gb drive here..

Click on the Configuration tab and it clearly says the drive has 2 heads and 1 platter. Guess they must have changed the spec after the initial press release. There is also no sign of the new 36gb drive. I stick to my speculation on that one ;)

Just for clarity this is the data on the configuration from the WD website:

Number of Heads (Physical) 2

Formatted Capacity 74,356 MB

Capacity 74 GB

Interface ESATA

Actuator Type Rotary Voice Coil

>>Number of Platters 1 <<

Bytes Per Sector 512

User Sectors Per Drive 145,226,112

Servo Type Embedded

The new Raptor is a 2 disk drive, not a single disk drive. The areal density is roughly the same as the first-gen Raptor. At least, that's what the press releases have said, which I'd trust more than what is on the WD site (especially since it doesn't sound like it's updated that often). Plus, said releases make no mention of a single-disk version of the new drive.

The information on the website only went up this week (I checked last week and it was not there), whereas the information in the press release is 6 weeks old. I had assumed that the later information was correct.

Obviously this is just a matter of fact, and we will have to wait for a full review and/or a full specification from WD to find out which is correct.

Csybe--keep us posted, will you? I just bought an 80GB 8MB IDE WD drive for storage, but it'll be pretty useless if I buy a 74GB Raptor. Even so, if the performance is there, I may put down the cash.

Csybe--keep us posted, will you? I just bought an 80GB 8MB IDE WD drive for storage, but it'll be pretty useless if I buy a 74GB Raptor. Even so, if the performance is there, I may put down the cash.

Sure. B)

OK, I've just submitted the question to WD support.

I hope the answer is yes... :rolleyes: I can't afford the 74Gb version and I even don't need such disk space. :blink:

. . . Sometimes you really have to wonder if they even read the e-mails you send. I feel like there's a filter, and if it catches certain words, it flings back a response without a human being ever seeing the e-mail at all.

. . . Sometimes you really have to wonder if they even read the e-mails you send. I feel like there's a filter, and if it catches certain words, it flings back a response without a human being ever seeing the e-mail at all.

Yes, I asked again if there's a 36Gb Raptor with FDB motors, and got the same answer. :angry: Tthat's a LOLage... Seagate and especially HGST support is a bit "kinder"...

Dear customer

You can find the FDB in the LB an PB drives, which are EIDE-drives.

We can't tell you if there are plans to produce the Raptor 36 GB with it.

Regards,

WD-Tech Support

no :(

E-mailed Eugene, our esteemed editor, asking if he could shed light on the one or two platters debate and Lo! There appeareth on the WD website an amended specification for the 74gb drive.

It now has two platters, but still only two heads :rolleyes:

I will assume the original press release and the SR preview were right and that it is actually a two platter, four head model.

I can't believe the change was a co-incidence. Obviously Eugene has some influence. B)

Sadly, there never really was a debate Lastman. WD's website is notorious for listing a few erronous specifications on newly released drives. It has been observed that it sometimes takes several ammendments to their listed data before before the final and correct figures are reflected on the product page. Unfortunate and confusing for the consumer.

CK

I'm bumpin this one.

Curious to hear more facts and user experiences on this drive