Sign in to follow this  
Piyono

Updating Outlook 2000 to XP without modifying Office

I'd like to update my copy of Outlook 2000 to Outlook XP, but I don't want any other Office components touched. When I choose a custom setup using the Office XP installer CD, selecting just OLXP results in a negative disk space number. Does this mean that the rest of my components will be uninstalled? My only other option is to update all my installed Office components in one fell swoop, wich I don't want.

Any suggestions?

Piyono

How big/small is the negative number? Maybe it's telling you that the new outlook is smaller that the one that will be uninstalled.

I can't think of why you would not want to upgade the rest of office.

Office XP is more stable than the previous version. Upgrading it all at once, is a more reliable method.

Most of the time Outlook uses Word as the editor.

I personally would not run the in the config that you are suggesting.

I don't think you can upgrade just one part of Office. The problem is the shared code base between the individual portions of office. If you upgraded just one portion the the shared portion would have parts that were from the old and parts that were from the new version. There wouldn't necessarily be compatibility between the two portions and then you'd end up with a broken corrupted version of Office.

It would be nice if you could simply keep the shared code bases seperate (theoretically possible): Running the old or the new, your choice. The problem even with that is the registry. They share that too and thus potentially causing problems.

I think you need to decide which version of office you actually want installed. Mixing them is bound to cause problems.

Office XP is more stable than the previous version.  Upgrading it all at once, is a more reliable method.

Depends on your platform (believe it or not). OXP on WXP seems to be very good, but O2K seems to work better with previous Windows versions.

Unless this was fixed since last time I messed around with OXP.

The reason I want to use OLXP is that it can access my Hotmail accounts, whereas OL2K cannot.

The reason I don't want to use Word / Office XP is all the nasty little "features" Micro$oft pumped into it -- none of which come to mind, but all of which turned me off when I read about them a while back.

Piyono

The reason I want to use OLXP is that it can access my Hotmail accounts, whereas OL2K cannot.

The reason I don't want to use Word / Office XP is all the nasty little "features" Micro$oft pumped into it -- none of which come to mind, but all of which turned me off when I read about them a while back.

Piyono

Ah...

Does anyone know if the "stand-alone" version of OLXP will mess around with O2K? I've never tried one of the standalone MS packages along with any Office version.

I have installed a newer stand-alone Outlook (2000 version) on a machine with an older office (Office 97) and that worked successfully. Perhaps that is an option because it is actually expected to be used to upgrade an older version of office and has been tested as such. When I made my previous post, I had not even thought of that.

Never had problems combining office97/2k/xp or stand-almone components of office. And we have customers usgin every possible combination. One comes to mind: Office 97 Standard, Access 2000, Outlook XP. It isn't elegant but it works. Just NEVER mix different language versions.

Never had problems combining office97/2k/xp  or stand-almone components of office.  And we have customers usgin every possible combination.  One comes to mind: Office 97 Standard, Access 2000, Outlook XP.  It isn't elegant but it works.  Just NEVER mix different language versions.

Gotcha.

It's ridiculous that I'd have to go out and get a standalone OLXP when it's available right here on my Office CD...

I'm off to scour the net... there's got to be a way to do this.

Piyono

as long as you have the original discs for both what's the harm in trying?

Or make a backup with Ghost or other imaging software.

I honestly expect that you will see more issues doing this than just upgrading the whole thing.

If you are going to back up, especially if you use ghost, just upgrade the whole thing.

The entire suite has significant usability improvements. No they are noticable until you have used it a little while, and no the reviews didn't cover most of this.

If you are running any version of Windows 9x, stability isn't a concern. You don't have it.