Proteus

Finally! MS Hotfix for Windows write cache performance issue

Looks like MS back-propagated their write caching performance fix found in Win2003. A hotfix is now available for Win2000/XP.

MS KB 332023.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;332023

Basically, write caching with all IDE and certain SCSI configurations prior to Win2k SP3 was unreliable, and in the event of a power faliure, critical data may not have gotten written to disk. While MS fixed this in SP3 and WinXP, it was at the perceived expense of disk performance, but was necessary for reliability in a non-ups attached system.

With this new hotfix, MS adds a "power managed" that allows you to enable full write-back mode. Of course, you should only do this provided your system really is hooked up to a UPS. Otherwise, you will run the risk of impacting data integrity. Of course, if you're an overclocking cowbow who cares about performance above all else..go right ahead..:-)

Anyway.

Enjoy!

Can someone post the file?

or know where to get it, i dont see a link, but maybe that's just me.

OK, seems that You can't get it for 2k either. You'd have to contact M$ support to get it...

Jan

Looks like MS back-propagated their write caching performance fix found in Win2003. A hotfix is now available for Win2000/XP.

MS KB 332023.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;332023

that article is quite old i think and not actually a fix... as i recently discovered there is already a fix out there for XP, search the forums for XPCacheFilter.

Is anybody willing to host the hotfix if I supply it? I'd do it myself but I have bandwidth restrictions with my ISP and I'm guessing this file may be popular :)

Actually, this article has been updated recently, to refer to the fix. I have tested this fix, and it works. There is no other fix from Microsoft currently for this problem (except Win2003).

I forgot to add, you will need the dskcache.exe application to enable the power managed option once the hotfix is obtained. dskcache can be gotten via:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;811392

In Win2003, theres a simple checkbox that does the job.

Actually, this article has been updated recently, to refer to the fix. I have tested this fix, and it works. There is no other fix from Microsoft currently for this problem (except Win2003).

I forgot to add, you will need the dskcache.exe application to enable the power managed option once the hotfix is obtained. dskcache can be gotten via:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;811392

In Win2003, theres a simple checkbox that does the job.

Care to post a link to the update? I checked out both the original link and the dskcache link and neither have any links to the downloadable files.

Is anybody willing to host the hotfix if I supply it?  I'd do it myself but I have bandwidth restrictions with my ISP and I'm guessing this file may be popular  :)

I could host it, assuming that Microsoft doesn't come after me for it. Is it illegal for anyone except MS to distribute patches/hotfixes etc.?

Is anybody willing to host the hotfix if I supply it?  I'd do it myself but I have bandwidth restrictions with my ISP and I'm guessing this file may be popular  :)

I could host it, assuming that Microsoft doesn't come after me for it. Is it illegal for anyone except MS to distribute patches/hotfixes etc.?

Not as far as I know. They just make it a little bit harder to get these early hotfixes because they're not 'final', and don't want anyone and everyone downloading them then complaining if it doesn't work or causes any problems. You could say they're RC and those that try them become testers.

At least that's my interpretation. I believe all you have to do is contact them and say you're affected by the issue in the Knowledge Base article and they'll give you a temporary link to download it.

I'm fortunate in that I work with people who can freely access the files. So I'll get the files today. Balding_ape, post your email address (publicly or privately) and I'll send them once I have them.

I'm fortunate in that I work with people who can freely access the files.  So I'll get the files today.  Balding_ape, post your email address (publicly or privately) and I'll send them once I have them.

Sorry Chew for asking. Can you post them to me also. If can please post to my e-mail ISAvltky@yahoo.co.uk

Delete old interface from the beginning of my mail. Much thanks in advance.

Sorry guys, I've already sent them to a number of people who have PMed me. I've decided to cut it short before it gets out of hand. As I mentioned before I have a limited monthly usage.

Now if somebody is willing to host the file so that everyone else can download it, that would be better.

Assuming I have received the files from Chew, I will be hosting the files tonight. My bandwidth is limited to 2 GB per day, or something along those lines, but I would imagine that I won't get THAT much call for it (and if I do, I believe they don't charge me; they just shut off access to the web site, no big deal).

I would appreciate any feedback from users regarding how these files compare with CAS's set. I never installed the CAS files because they didn't seem to work for everyone and I was afraid of instability. (no offense!)

Sorry about that, it's how I received them.

It's not a problem though, the files within checkout ok.

And yes, Win2k only at this stage.