Sign in to follow this  
powergyoza

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 reviewed @ SPCR

Here's the news release:

New Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 HDD Review

Latest SPCR author Dru reviews the new Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 drive by comparing it against a well known silent drive, namely the Seagate Barracuda IV, now some 18 months "old": A noise and performance contest between generations. Does one sweep both categories?

Performance has improved, but at the expense of acoustics. No more seashield (although it looks like you can retrofit an old one). And as of yet, NO way to turn on AAM silent seeks! Yikes! Who's gonna get these new drives and who's gonna scramble to stockpile the old Barracudas?

thanks for providing a link... :(

A member of this forum mentioned that there was no way for him to turn OFF AAM...

silent operation, but slower drive...

ixbt.com (a russian site that, from my experience, shares some articles with xbitlabs.com) has a review of 7200.7 - and it follows the access time of 7200.7 is BAD while seq transfers are good.

review is not in english but one can scroll down to the Disk Access Time pictures: http://ixbt.com/storage/seagate-barr7.shtml

probably can expect a review of 7200.7 on xbitlabs soon

Ok. I do speak (and read) Russian and iXBT is one of the best review sites I know.

Yes, they told that new Barracuda is in the middle of competition. I.e. not the fastest, not the slowest. Not just access time is not best, but also write speed is :cry:

Here in Ukraine Barracudas cost more than other disks of their class. People buy them only for their name.

I prefer to use Samsung/Maxtor (reliability over speed) for other people computers and IBM for myself. WD's here are not always reliable.