Sign in to follow this  
MikeInNM

WinXP Home and Raid and my choices if any... thanks

I have WinXP Home and right now don't want to sport for the Pro Version. I read XP Home does not support a Raid Setup. Is this a software raid which could be overcome by a controller card?

My choices (without a deep knowledge about it) would be as follows from most desirable to least desirable. Could I get some opinions on these using P4/1gig mem/250w PS/XP Home.

1. Promise Fastrak TX2000 - (2) WD2000JB - Raid0 setup.

2. Promise Fastrak TX2000 - (2) WD1200JB - Raid0 setup (If Large Drive issues) Would still like the speed of raid0.

3. (2) WD2000JB No Raid - If not XP Home Possible Would Like the Extra Storage if the 137GB limit is not hard to deal with in XP Home.

4. (2) WD1200JB - No Raid - If not XP compatible or With Large Drive Issues.

Any thoughts, advice or substitutes would be appreciated.

Guest russofris
I have WinXP Home and right now don't want to sport for the Pro Version.  I read XP Home does not support a Raid Setup.  Is this a software raid which could be overcome by a controller card?

Yes. A TX2K or FT133 will work fine.

I would personally recommend that you figure out if/why you need RAID before going down this road though.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

Well to be honest I "don't" know if I need it. Based on suggestions to me the ability for both drives to read/write at the same time would speed up or enhance the performance over say a "non" raid setup.

Editing video and audio is choking my current system. I currently have the one samsung 5400/2mb Buff/80gig HDD. It is possible that the upgrade to the WDJB series will be enough of a difference.

For video editing I would recommend to use at least 2 discs (one to load from and one to save to or have the temp file on etc.). This will speed things up more as a raid0 setup (2 raid 0 would be a different story again).

The 8MB cache should not be that important for video editing.

cya

ralf

while i can't speak about pros/cons for video editing specifically, the pricing on 2mb vs 8mb drives is so close that it seems foolish to buy a 2mb

I would personally recommend that you figure out if/why you need RAID before going down this road though.

I agree with Frank here. You say you have a 80GB 5400rpm harddrive. I think it's pretty normal that the performance of this drive and the performance of your system in general isn't great. Especially when doing stuff like video editing, etc.

I would suggest buying two 7200rpm drives and first try them as two seperate drives. Make sure you use one drive for your system and the other for the video files. I think you will experience a much better performance then.

Going to RAID0 should be your last option, because if one of the two drives fails, you will loose everything. So going for RAID0 is only an option if you don't have important data or if you have a good backup system.

Guest russofris
For video editing I would recommend to use at least 2 discs (one to load from and one to save to or have the temp file on etc.). This will speed things up more as a raid0 setup (2 raid 0 would be a different story again).

The 8MB cache should not be that important for video editing.

cya

ralf

This is exactly correct. The source/destination drive setup is best for simple DV editing. If I were going to have a RAID 0 setup for VE, I would have a RAID0 source and a single disk destination.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

Yes, the 5400rpm will be coming out and put in a firewire case for backup and storage use.

I am opting for the 8mb cache for the reasons you mention.... not much more than the 2mb and it can't "hurt".

Once my system is setup it will be well backed up and as well the data on the drives is not intensely critical as all would have a source copy.

I suppose the logical thing would be to get the drives, try them as normal, and then decide on raid or no.

Now if I can decide between (2) 120's or (2) 200's. I'm not sure about the large drive issues.