Sign in to follow this  
TheJack

Serious problems with WinXP

I have a serious problem with WindowsXP (sp1).

Yesterday I tried to defragment the drive with Diskeeper (7.0). I went into ''Boot-time defragmentation'' and checked ''Run CHKDSK before defragmentation'' and ''Defragment the MFT'' (I did that before and no problems occured). Then I restarted the computer. After both processes were finished, the computer restarted. Just after it was supposed to start Windows (loading…), it restarted again. There was the screen with ''safe boot'', ''last configuration that worked'', and so on. I tried them all. None worked.

Then I booted from WindowsXP cd, and went into the recovery console. I tried several options (fixmbr), but at last ''chkdsk'' worked. After that Windows started normally.

First thing I noticed was (in Diskeeper), that ''reserved system space'' moved from beginning to the end of the disk.

But that wasn't the end of it. Each time Windows starts, I get the following warnings and errors in the Event Viewer (Application):

Event:

Type: Warning

User: NT AUTHORITYSYSTEM

Computer: POLARIS (name of my system)

Source: Userenv

Category: None

Event ID: 1517

Description:

Windows saved user POLARIS[my name] registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

After that three errors follow:

Event:

Type: Error

Computer: POLARIS

Source: Userenv

Event ID: 1500

Description:

Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded. Check that you are connected to the network, or that your network is functioning correctly. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

DETAIL - Access is denied.

Along with that I get the following errors in Event Viewer/System:

Event:

User: N/A

Source: Service Control Manager

Event ID: 7005

Description:

The LoadUserProfile call failed with the following error:

Access is denied.

And then (only the description and Event ID change. Event ID is 7000):

The Distributed Transaction Coordinator service failed to start due to the following error:

Access is denied.

And:

The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service failed to start due to the following error:

Access is denied.

And:

The Distributed Transaction Coordinator service failed to start due to the following error:

Access is denied.

And finally:

Event:

Source: DCOM

Event ID: 10000

Description:

Unable to start a DCOM Server: {73E709EA-5D93-4B2E-BBB0-99B7938DA9E4}. The error:

"Access is denied. "

Happened while starting this command:

C:WINDOWSSystem32wbemwmiprvse.exe –Embedding

In Task Manager under ''Users'' I only get:

User: [my name]

ID: 0

Client Name: [nothing]

Session: Console

I tried to create another user in ''User Profiles'' (otherwise the only user is me, as administrator), but I get the same error messages uder that user, too.

In Control Panel/System/Advanced/User Profiles/Settings, there are two profiles: ''Account Unknown'' (602 KB) and POLARIS[my name] (48 MB). Status and Type are ''Local'' for both.

But then it gets worse. I can't access any files or folders I moved or copied. For example: I have txt file, and I can open (change, rename..) it normally. But as I move it, I get the following message: ''Cannot open [file]'' Make sure a disk is in the drive you specified.''

And if I move directory: ''[directory] is not accesible. Access is denied.''

The Recycle Bin stopped working, too. If I move something there, it disappears forever.

Please help!

I would forward this info to Executive Software immediately. Which build do you have? I just upgraded to the latest build (7.0.427), and have done the defrag as you describe with no problem. Maybe it's an interaction with something else on your system that is unique. Good Luck.

Thank you for your help!

I tried to run MFT defrag in DK again, but it didn't work (it didn't crach either, like before). I tiried all sorts of things. None worked.

So I used the only remaining solution.

After the reinstall I tried the MFT defrag again (!), but this time no problems occured.

Nevertheless, I won't use DK MFT defragmentation anymore.

FWIW, I've had the exact same problem with Disk Keeper and XP Home.

A full degrag left me with a corrupted MFT, which was recoverable by chkdsk. I've had other issues with registry corruptions as well. Basically, I no longer trust/us DK. Other defraggers don't exactly encourage me either.

It has helped remind me that there is no substitute for a good backup.