Sign in to follow this  
LeeM

Maxtor DM Plus 9 80GB 8MB 133mb/s VS WD 80GB 8MB 100mb/s

Both drives are $69 after rebate. Which one's better and why?

Are there any tests results available for a DM Plus 9 8MB ?

Pick a test at http://www.storagereview.com/comparison.html, click the "sort" button, and compare whatever drives you want.

Excellent tool. Thank you.

I guess WD is a little better overall. I've always had maxtors (about 6- 7 years) and never had ANY problems. However I remember people having problems with WD, but that was about 5 years ago, when drives were 1.6GB. How about now? I've heard they all are offering only 1yr warranty. Wonder why..

Yo goden99,

Check to see if the store you got it from will give u a rebate. I know Circuit City should. If bad comes to worse just see if you can exchange it and get a rebate on the second drive.

Pick a test at http://www.storagereview.com/comparison.html, click the "sort" button, and compare whatever drives you want.

I guess WD is a little better overall. I've always had maxtors (about 6- 7 years) and never had ANY problems. However I remember people having problems with WD, but that was about 5 years ago, when drives were 1.6GB. How about now? I've heard they all are offering only 1yr warranty. Wonder why..

Actually, I take it back. Can anyone tell me which drive is faster according to this comparasion. I ussually use it for programming, database & internet browsing.

I don't care for games. Well, may be music & video compression/decompression later. Is WD any better?

All WD JBs are 3 years warranty and yes that including those WD800JBs 80GB 8MB. :wink:

I am more or less debating the same decision. In the reviews here, the 80gb Diamond Max Plus 9 drive was not reviewed...only the 160gb drives were reveiwed. In addition, it is difficult to tell whether or not the CompUSA offer is indeed the DiamonMax Plus 9 drive since it is a CompUSA branded label.

I currently own the Maxtor D740X and I've found that performance deteriortates quite a bit as the drive fills up. You won't see it that much on Winbench, but in real life usage it gets a lot slower. I would recommend the WD80JB drive.

I am more or less debating the same decision.  In the reviews here, the 80gb Diamond Max Plus 9 drive was not reviewed...only the 160gb drives were reveiwed.  In addition, it is difficult to tell whether or not the CompUSA offer is indeed the DiamonMax Plus 9 drive since it is a CompUSA branded label.

I currently own the Maxtor D740X and I've found that performance deteriortates quite a bit as the drive fills up.  You won't see it that much on Winbench, but in real life usage it gets a lot slower.  I would recommend the WD80JB drive.

I would suggest the WD as well. I recently picked up a Maxtor 60GB DM+9 (single-platter?) with FDB bearings, and it is very quiet, you can't hear it over the case fans at idle, although you can hear the seeks. But... it is slower in terms of seeks than my older, two-platter 30GB 75GXP drive (by several ms), and real-world performance-wise, feels slower than my 14GB 14GXP drive that it was replacing in my K6-2 400 machine. (Really.) So Maxtor DM+9's are relatively low noise, but not stellar performers.

I got two of the Maxtors the 8MB cache version has a three year warranty. They are louder than the WD (to my ears anyway) and they run great on my SATA controller with IDE to SATA converter(SP)....

The circuit city WD800JB deal is pretty much over now since they aren't in stock in stores or direct. That pretty much leaves the CompUSA Maxtor.

last time circuit city had a rebate on the WD 800JB, i went in and had them order it for me.. I had to pay upfront to get the rebate completed ontime, but I got the drive 1 week later and I've recieved 1 of my rebates back so far.