Sign in to follow this  
purplecheesecake

DVD X Copy+PioneerAO5+Nero5.5+DVD-RW(pioneer 1/2x) WORKS!

Made a coaster of a DVD-R, but I had an old version of DVD X Copy (1.2) my first try, the new version, 1.4, worked great via a nero 5.5 burn.

I made a backup of Its a Wonderful Life, kind of appropriate title. The total time was about 50 minutes. One think I didn't like was during the burn, the program asks you not to do anything on the computer.

First time is always fun but the time involved will probably make this a novelty for me. I will try a DVD-R again, but I only had one with the new drive.

Also I have a cheap sharp DVD player for my tv which easily produces still frames on anything that isn't free of defects so I feel good about the burn quality.

PCC

I haven't found it to work THAT well. It can't do my Sopranos DVDs, for example. It always wants to cut them a 2.5GB on one disc, 6 on the other.

Learn to use IFOEdit. You'll be much happier.

Ulead MovieFactory is AWESOME for non-DVD source files, though.

Merc,

What is IFOedit, is that part of dvdxcopy or something else?

I only burned side A of its a wonderful life because the movie fit, are there 2 sided burners and will dvd x copy recognize that?

Thanks in advance,

PCC

dvdxcopy offers to copy to two discs if the content doesn't fit in 4.7GB.

IFOedit is available at doom9.net and lets you selectively add things to a DVD compilation. It''s a beautiful thing.

Merc,

thanks for the info and advice.  A question with respect to burning, what would I want to selectively add to a DVD compilation? 

PCC

Not so much add, but remove...

I do the following to back up my DVDs:

1. DVD Decrypter to rip the disc. Far and away the best ripper, IMHO.

2. IFOedit to get rid of stuff I don't want (Japanese sound track, for example)

3. ImgTool to make an ISO

4. DVD Decrypter to burn the disc. Yup, it burns too.

I haven't made a coaster yet. Also using the Pioneer 05 drive.

Ian

Oh yah, burnt my first data CD the other day -- 4.3GB of 6 megapixel digital photos. So nice to be able to put that on one DVD instead of 7CDs. :D

Ian

An even easier method, IMHO, is a program called DVD2One.

It is much faster than IfoEdit or TEMPGenc or any other authoring

program that I know of (including Cinema Craft Encoder). It's not

freeware but it's cheap. I think I paid around $40 US for it and it's

worth every penny.

You rip your movie ( I like DVD Decrypter, too) and then crank up

DVD2One. You chose which VOB's to process, the sound tracks you

want, the subtitles you want, and the angle(s) (if available) and start

the process. In about 20 minutes (yeah, 20 minutes....at least on my

machine) you've got a VIDEO_TS file folder full of files ready to burn

onto one disk. It's only drawback right now is that you lose chapters

and menu's but the word on the DVD2One forum is that they will be

fixing that in the next version release.

Go to

www.vcdhelp.com

and check throught the tutorials and you'll find ALL the info you need for

making DVD's. It has links to all the useful programs you may need.

An alternative to DVD2One would be Pinnacle InstantCopy 7.0. But it has some bugs (doesn't use the full capacity of the DVD sometimes..) still. Though quality is said to be superior to DVD2One. It also keeps menus&extras.

Just visit forum.doom9.net for tons of discussions on the subject.

Trying decrypter now, just out of curiosity, what is the best program to shrink the size of a movie. I understand that info is lost, but in order to get the backup of the movie on one disk, at least it is convenient with no movie interuptions which I hate. Would such a program give you choices as to the amount of compression so you could maximize (see resultant file size) the use of the DVD-R, thereby minimizing the degradation of the film.

Thanks to all ,

PCC

IAN,

Been away,    where do you get DVD decryptor from?  do you like your AO5?  And, I want to get some DVD-Rs, what do you recommend for your drive, hope they aren't the expensive ones.

thanks in advance,

PCC

Sorry, was away a bit too! And will be away for a couple days from now.

Sounds like you got DVD Decryptor, so won't go into that.

I've been using TDK 2x and 4x discs with no problems, but haven't tried other stuff to see if cheaper stuff works well too.

I love the A05!! Just ordered one for work too.

Speaking of work, gotta run...

Ian

Ian,

Can't figure out how to get decrypter to burn, it seems to rip fine (takes about the same time as DVDxCopy) , but it only seems to allow writing in ISO mode. So I haven't written yet, any advise.

PCC

BTW ritek works in ao5 also

ISO is the only mode that DVDdecryptor works with. Ian already told you that he uses ImgTool to mount an ISO which can be burnt with dvddecryptor.

hi there

just in case you haven't visited it yet

probably the best resource for

all questions dvd-related would be

http://www.dvdrhelp.com

many tutes and good forums

good luck

pcc,

As mentioned by Pradeep, ImgTool is what I make the ISO with before burning with DVD Decryptor. Maybe that is why I haven't made any coasters yet? ISOs tend to burn smoothly as there isn't much overhead -- just pump the data through to the drive...

Ian

Ian, pra & dtra,

Thanks for the help. I had a brain fart using dvd decrypter the first time, but I was tired and didn't have the time to play. Today I went to the site dtra gave and got instructions on how to use.

Basically I just used dvd decrypter for rip and burn. didn't want to take up more time with the other two programs (imgedit and infotool).

With respect to DVD X copy verses DVD Decrypter, my opinion is simple.

1) Both took the about the same amount of time burning

2) Both burned Ritek GO4 DVD-R media($1.65 US) on pioneer a05 at x4.

3) I prefer much more DVD Decryptor because

... a) Installation is very simple, Xcopy has keys and passwords and more keys and passwords a real pain to install.

... B) for getting started DVD Decryptor is free, X copy was $70 US.

... c) Decrypter has hard drive ripping and other features that look useful.

... d) Decrpter is simplier to use.

I'm definately glad I got the pioneer A05, my tv dvd player is very fussy and all burns (except first xcopy try, but that was very old version) work.

In the end, being able to use cheap media is so important.

PCC

A few more questions.

Who is better at ripping and burning DVD's, Intel or AMD?

I did a one layer DVD (4gig) , it took 25 minutes to rip and 12 minutes to burn, is that normal (2gig celery, 256M, emachines box)?

I'm close to upgrading my second machine, thanks to all,

PCC

It depends on the speed of your dvd drive. The CPU only matters, if you want to reencode.

For burning time: depends only on the speed of your DVD recorder. 4x recorder is 15mins for 4.7GB

cya

ralf

A few more questions.

Who is better at ripping and burning DVD's, Intel or AMD?

I did a one layer DVD (4gig) , it took 25 minutes to rip and 12 minutes to burn, is that normal (2gig celery, 256M, emachines box)?

I'm close to upgrading my second machine, thanks to all,

PCC

Just upgrade your DVD drive. A LiteOn 166S (16x) will rip a single layer DVD in about 5 mins, a dual layer 8GB disc in 15-16mins.

der,

So with respect to compressing/reencoding, which is faster AMD or Intel?

I saw that pinnacle has a program for fitting dvd9 on to dvd5 but the time estimates were 1-6 hours, wow.

Also will dual processors improve and by what percent?

Thanks in advance,

PCC

Pra,

sounds expensive, also DVD9 blanks must be pricey too.

IFOedit is available at doom9.net and lets you selectively add things to a DVD compilation. It''s a beautiful thing.

N00b alert :wink:

Would IFOEdit allow for multi-disc stuff, like FOTR for instance, to be combined into one "video" so you could watch the entire film without a break ... using a mounted ISO created by ImgTool from the combined files?

That would not be a job for IFOEdit. You'd be talking about reencoding and reauthoring in that case. The programs to do that kind of work aren't cheap (Scenarist NT costs more than a mid-sized car). I guess you could get decent results with TMPGenc, if all you wanted was the movie, but a lot of the fun of those LoTR discs is the extras.

That would not be a job for IFOEdit.

Ah I see, I naively thought that simply adding two VOBs together would mean they'd play consecutively. :oops:

I only really want to do this so the main move plays uninterrupted, using the discs for the extra stuff. I'll go have a look at TMPGenc, I've looked at that before but not with this in mind.

Thanks. :)