Sign in to follow this  
Maxtor storage

Maxtor 60GB Drive made in the U.S.A ?

Thats right i ordered a Maxtor 60GB Drive white label online and it says it was made in the US. could this be true ??? model is 4R060L2 (doesnt exist) but matches to the 4R060L2 which is a Diamond Max 16 with U133 and FDB. also the drive is compacted like on the bottom where the card is the drive molds in so to me its 1 60GB platter with 2 heads.

Thats right i ordered a Maxtor 60GB Drive white label online and it says it was made in the US. could this be true ??? model is 4R060L2 (doesnt exist) but matches to the 4R060L2 which is a Diamond Max 16 with U133 and FDB. also the drive is compacted like on the bottom where the card is the drive molds in so to me its 1 60GB platter with 2 heads.

Woops, matches to the 4R060L0.

Look at the review on this site of the DiamondMax Plus 9. The picture of the 160 GB drive says "Made in USA" also. I didn't think any IDE drives were made here.

Well pretty much they stoped making drives in the US a long time ago but it seems that they started to make them here again. and besides this drive i have is extreamly quiet, i think it beats the hole competition on silence.

Too bad it's a crap-shoot regarding the drive configurations. They could have 4 12GB platters and 8 heads for all anyone knows. The idea that their entire line of +9 drives have the same noise, seek times and power consumption is rather ridiculous, and actually invites a lawsuit.

Too bad it's a crap-shoot regarding the drive configurations.  They could have 4 12GB platters and 8 heads for all anyone knows.  The idea that their entire line of +9 drives have the same noise, seek times and power consumption is rather ridiculous, and actually invites a lawsuit.

"Specifications subject to change without notice."

Too bad it's a crap-shoot regarding the drive configurations.  They could have 4 12GB platters and 8 heads for all anyone knows.  The idea that their entire line of +9 drives have the same noise, seek times and power consumption is rather ridiculous, and actually invites a lawsuit.

Never thought I'd see the day where SuperC said something negative about Maxtor! Guess the Maxtor stock got sold huh?

Ian

Never thought I'd see the day where SuperC said something negative about Maxtor!  Guess the Maxtor stock got sold huh?

Ian

Bwahahaha...

For more negativity, see http://forums.storagereview.net/viewtopic.php?t=8579

Bwahahaha...

For more negativity, seehttp://forums.storagereview.net/viewtopic.php?t=8579

I'm feeling evil today. :twisted:

I'm sure SuperC will make valiant attempts to exlpain his change of heart, but those who have been around for awhile know the reality... :lol:

Ian

I somehow really doubt Maxtor has started up a factory for building hard drives in the US. All their factories are overseas, where labor and overhead are a lot cheaper. There really isn't any incentive to build them in the US, not when part suppliers are all overseas.

Now, there might be a repair facility in the US, or a pilot line in the US, which would have the capability of building drives. I don't believe they'd be able to do anything in high-volume, but it might have been a pilot run or something.

I was just going to say the same thing -- i.e., I doubt they actually build anything here in the US. I was thinking more along the lines of attaching the circuit board to the drive mechanism and calling it "Made in the USA". I suspect many products have the "Made in the USA/Canada" label on there but have the majority of their assembly done overseas... they probably ship them in separate pieces for final assembly here in N.America (snap together level of diffulty... all labour intensive stuff must be done overseas).

"Specifications subject to change without notice."

"* Specifications which are meaningless crap with no bearing on reality whatsoever, printed on the box for you to make you feel warm and fuzzy about your potential future purchase of this item."

(See: 1) Maxtor Warrantee, 2) Access-Time specs.)

Comment on the "Made in USA" thing (if they really were, and Maxtor were honest in it's other dealings, then I could see buying a few).. but methinks that it is just more of the same: lies (access time specs), fraud (conflicting warrantee reports, potentially not honoring retail-box stated warrantees), and deception (platter-size-of-the-week club, when all DM+9 drives were supposed to be 80GB/platter).

Gee, Maxtor, you're batting 0/3 now, want to try another round? When are those 320GB MaxLine II drives due out? 2010?

I fully expect some forms of lawsuits pending on Maxtor soon, HP and Palm have been sued for less.

Even shipping the finished HDA minus PCBA to the US for final assembly would be problematic, as the unfinished assembly is much more sensitive to ESD than the finished one. I suppose the benefit of doing so anyway is that the US buys a big chunk of the world's disk drives, so from a shipping cost standpoint, you wouldn't have to ship final product as far.

The whole "made in the USA" bit is quite puzzling, no matter how one slices it.

Interesting point about the cost of shipping. I guess not all high-tech manufacturing jobs will go overseas aftar all. Until, of course, dirt cheap shipping comes along.... I'm not exactly sure how they're gonna tackle that but I'm looking forward to it :)

I guess it'll come down to "is the cost of shipping more than the cost savings of manufacturing overseas?" If yes, then it's cheaper to keep it in the US. If no, then everything will go overseas. It's probably why Flextronics is making Xbox's in both Mexico and Europe, expecting to ship many consoles to the US and European market, respectively.

For drives, it doesn't make much sense, since stuff is dramatically cheaper to make overseas, partially because of labor but also because of looser environmental laws. You'd just be shipping things in pieces since PCBA's are probably made overseas, too.

I guess it'll come down to "is the cost of shipping more than the cost savings of manufacturing overseas?" If yes, then it's cheaper to keep it in the US. If no, then everything will go overseas. It's probably why Flextronics is making Xbox's in both Mexico and Europe, expecting to ship many consoles to the US and European market, respectively. 

For drives, it doesn't make much sense, since stuff is dramatically cheaper to make overseas, partially because of labor but also because of looser environmental laws. You'd just be shipping things in pieces since PCBA's are probably made overseas, too.

[L=Maxtor goes to China]http://www.shareholder.com/maxtor/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=102657[/L]