Sign in to follow this  
supercaffeinated

Annoyed with Maxtor.

Try Samsung. Tannin's been spewing sense the last few years after all.

I'm not happy about Maxtor's antics either, but I like my 3 year warranties and Maxtor and Samsung are the only companies currently offering 'em.

Seagate IDE is a load of stinker. 1 year warranties and industry-trailing performance. A winning combination if ever there was one.

Maxtor offers 3 year warranties on drives which cost triple the price. Some deal. I'm more interested in quiet than fast these days anyway. Drive performance isn't sufficiently different between most of these drives anyway. I'm particularly interested in single platter drives for ultra quiet and ultra reliable operation.

That's funny, 'cause it isn't that hard to find retail-class Diamondmax drives with 3-year warranties. I've purchased four DM9+ 80GBs in the last six weeks that carried a real warranty.

Assuming Maxtor honors that three-year warranty...

(See my other thread for details...)

I just bought two more Maxtor's today...

Out of 26 drives, NONE match the warranty period printed on the drive...

I haven't contacted Maxtor yet, but it doesn't make me happy of the APPEARANCE that my drive's warranties are (in some cases) being decreased by eight months...

(Some discrepancies are a FULL YEAR...)

Never have had a problem with maxtor, but they better be honoring the warranty they claim, and the warranty they print on their drives...

It's been said before: A warranty is only as good as the people backing it.

I did a little checking and you're right... there are two vendors, albeit rather shady vendors, offering Maxtor 80GB drives with 3yr warranties....

Vendor search

I wonder if Maxtor would actually honor them given this conflicts with their statrd policy on their website.

http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/service/w...at-a-glance.htm

Which states that only the Maxline drives carry a 3yr warranty. Below is a link that shows the price of a Maxline drive. Hence my comment above.

Vendor search link

[Edit: Shortened message to narrow screen, please use

The Western Digital JB series have 3 yr warranties.

You can also extend your 1-yr warranty to three for $20.

Word I got when I emailed maxtor about it a couple months ago was that they'd honor the warranty on the pretty red box. I kept the boxes just in case.

In a way it's irrelevant to me anyway. I've never had to RMA a Maxtor drive (had one DOA. It went back to the vendor).

My drives came from Circuit City and Staples.

Sivar, I have grave concerns about currently shipping WD products, including *JB models. Nor do I feel I should have to pay the premium price for a "low-end" AB or BB - and take special, additional action beyond paying for the drive - to get the warranty that some other manufacturers are still offering without having to take special action.

For as long as drives with 3-year warranties are available, I will purchase them. If I see a Maxtor drive with a good warranty, I'll buy it. Otherwise I'm buying Samsung.

Sivar, I have grave concerns about currently shipping WD products, including *JB models.
What concerns?

I don't have enough drives on my own to say that I have a definitive sample. I do see and you *WAY* more than anyone but a retailer does, though.

In my apartment there are 66 IDE hard disks between 20 and 160GB. Only a small number of those drives are WDs - 13 as of late last week. In the last 15 months, five have had to be RMA'd. Only two other drives I've owned in the last 15 months have had a problem.

Hence concerns about WD's quality. I might not have enough drives to make generalization, but I know a trend when I see it. Especially when other retailers like Buck(!) and Tannin report similar strings of recent bad luck with WD drives.

I just bought two more Maxtor's today...

Out of 26 drives, NONE match the warranty period printed on the drive...

Are you saying that after purchasing a retail-box Maxtor HD package, clearly stating "Three-Year Warrantee" on the label, and upon entering the serial code/model number information on their web site, it returns information that indicates that the warrantee period from Maxtor is only one year?

If this is true, please provide some documented proof, as this is outright fraud. I think quite a few state's AGs would be interested in this info.

It's bad enough that they print fraudulent specifications on the box, but fraudulent warrantees are even worse, and generally more actionable.

I haven't contacted Maxtor yet, but it doesn't make me happy of the APPEARANCE that my drive's warranties are (in some cases) being decreased by eight months...

(Some discrepancies are a FULL YEAR...)

Never have had a problem with maxtor, but they better be honoring the warranty they claim, and the warranty they print on their drives...

It's been said before:  A warranty is only as good as the people backing it.

So true. Goes for rebates as well.

I happened to have the Maxtor DM+9 survey open in another window when I opened the forums window, and just after posting that first reply to this thread... look what I found, a couple of paragraphs down on the survey.

SR has received varying reports from readers regarding Maxtor's current warranty policy. According to the manufacturer itself, however, all DM+9s are backed by a one-year warranty. Maxtor is rolling out a separate line, the Maxline Plus, that incorporates similar mechanics but is backed by a longer three-year policy.

So Maxtor IS conducting fraudulent and dishonorable business - straight from the horses mouth. That ends any future purchases by me. Too bad, as I was considered a pair of 80GB DM+9 single-platter drives for a RAID config. I will be getting some WD "JB" drives instead then. Performance will probably also be better, as my 60GB DM+9 single-platter drive gives me measured acccess times of 13.3 - 13.5ms (using HDTach 2.51), a far cry from the "Access Time: < 9.1ms" documented on the retail package. (But the DM+9 is pleasantly quiet, even with AAM disabled, even if it does have trailing-edge seek performance, worse than my two-platter 75GXP.)

I happened to have the Maxtor DM+9 survey open in another window when I opened the forums window, and just after posting that first reply to this thread... look what I found, a couple of paragraphs down on the survey.

SR has received varying reports from readers regarding Maxtor's current warranty policy. According to the manufacturer itself, however, all DM+9s are backed by a one-year warranty. Maxtor is rolling out a separate line, the Maxline Plus, that incorporates similar mechanics but is backed by a longer three-year policy.

So Maxtor IS conducting fraudulent and dishonorable business - straight from the horses mouth. That ends any future purchases by me. Too bad, as I was considered a pair of 80GB DM+9 single-platter drives for a RAID config. I will be getting some WD "JB" drives instead then. Performance will probably also be better, as my 60GB DM+9 single-platter drive gives me measured acccess times of 13.3 - 13.5ms (using HDTach 2.51), a far cry from the "Access Time: < 9.1ms" documented on the retail package. (But the DM+9 is pleasantly quiet, even with AAM disabled, even if it does have trailing-edge seek performance, worse than my two-platter 75GXP.)

I don't think there's anything fraudulent going on. Dishonorable? Probably not either. Annoying? Yes, definitely. We've become used to Maxtor behaving more like Seagate and the rest of the industry, being proud of their products which are built to high quality standards, with straightforward, published specs.

Maxtor has recently taken a turn towards obfuscating their technical specs. They do this, no doubt, so they can buy the cheapest media, and move their parts inventory.

They can probably build drives from whatever servos/heads/media they have lying around these days, so they keep their options open. by not linking a particular model number to anything other than capacity.

No we educated folk know that drives with higher media density tend to be faster, have less platters (hence lighter and quieter), and be generally more modern. Maxtor's current policy takes away the consumers ability to discern which drives are made of the latest parts and which are made from parts from 2 year old technology.

Maxtor doesn't publish their detailed specs anymore. You can't even tell how many heads/platters a given model has, and therefore you're chance of telling the media density or rough "generation' of a drive is next to none.

Seagate publishes their model/specs. If Seagate is doing what Maxtor is doing, that would be fraud.

Just to be clear, what I mean is, if Seagate were publishing one spec and producing another, that would be fraud. I'm pretty damn sure they wouldn't do this. Maxtor is deliberately not publishing their spec, so therefore it's safe to assume that they are playing a game with their customers and building a bunch of different drives with the same model numbers. Probably the only way to tell the difference is by analyzing the serial numbers.

Perhaps we can find some diagnostics which will tell the real makeup of drives, and sortout their serial numbering scheme.

I've always had good luck with Maxtor drives in the past. I'd had no failures.

However, same is true with Western Digital. And Seagate.

I currently run a Seagate 10.6 and a WD800AB in my main machine, I satisfied with the performance from both. I have a WD200BB in the little server here, had no problems with it either. Only reason it migrated there was due to noise. Same is true with the 540X that's in there too.

I just noticed that Maxtor's CEO Michael Cannon left Maxtor last January and joined Solectron as CEO. Solectron competes directly with Flextronics, makers of the X-Box, and a member of the "We'll make anything better, faster and cheaper" contract electronics manufacturing crowd. Maxtor's CEO is now another ex-IBM'er, Paul Tufano. Perhaps this explains the change in strategy.

If your drive has the wrong warranty date when you look at the page on the Maxtor website, contact Maxtor warranty@maxtor.com and they can change the date, they did for me - no problem.

Too bad, as I was considered a pair of 80GB DM+9 single-platter drives for a RAID config. I will be getting some WD "JB" drives instead then. Performance will probably also be better

Think again. WD JB drives have been poor performers in RAID 0 benchmarks http://forums.storagereview.net/viewtopic.php?t=8597

I just noticed that Maxtor's CEO Michael Cannon left Maxtor last January and joined Solectron as CEO.  Solectron competes directly with Flextronics, makers of the X-Box, and a member of the "We'll make anything better, faster and cheaper" contract electronics manufacturing crowd.  Maxtor's CEO is now another ex-IBM'er, Paul Tufano.  Perhaps this explains the change in strategy.

Interesting information, perhaps this does explain the apparent change of direction happening at Maxtor. Now that you do mention it, I did see a note at their web site about the CEO stepping down, and wondered if that foreshadowed some sort of "bad things happening" internally at Maxtor in the future.

If your drive has the wrong warranty date when you look at the page on the Maxtor website, contact Maxtor warranty@maxtor.com and they can change the date, they did for me - no problem.

That's very interesting news! Perhaps they are trying to do the right thing after all then, and I should cut them some slack. I wasn't even able to check the warrantee when I bought my retail-box 60GB 2MB cache drive, I looked up the numbers on their web site, and it just hung there, couldn't get a response to the queries. Maybe I'll check again (have to pull the drive out), and give them a call if it doesn't match up correctly.

Too bad, as I was considered a pair of 80GB DM+9 single-platter drives for a RAID config. I will be getting some WD "JB" drives instead then. Performance will probably also be better

Think again. WD JB drives have been poor performers in RAID 0 benchmarkshttp://forums.storagereview.net/viewtopic.php?t=8597

Hmm. I figured the extra cache wouldn't help for RAID, but shouldn't hurt either. In any case, I was planning RAID 1, not RAID 0 (data suicide, for some). If the RAID config supports independent reads, then it should help some.

Considering how cheap (both price, and quality) current modern IDE HDs are, I figure that RAID 1 will soon become a requirement for some situations.

I wonder if Maxtor would actually honor them given this conflicts with their statrd policy on their website.

http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/service/w...at-a-glance.htm

Which states that only the Maxline drives carry a 3yr warranty.

From the page you linked (I mentioned that several months ago) :

Effective October 1, 2002, Maxtor branded retail ATA drives will carry a Standard Warranty Period of 1 year, unless otherwise indicated by Maxtor on the retail packaging.

Which means, if I can still understand written English, that all retail boxed drives sold with the mention that their carry a 3 years warranty DO have a full 3 years warranty. If they don't, then it' fraud. But I doubt Maxtor would risk themselves to screw so many customers like that.

This should close the debate.