Sign in to follow this  
dutd33

Networking question

Hi, I was askes this question on an exam, and I was wondering if the smart people here could give it a try and answer them:

1. A computer on a network is not obtaining an IP address from the DHCP server. There is no problem with the networking from the backbone to the gateway of the subnet that it's currently on, and all other PC's on that subnet are getting IP's. Assume that the PC hardware is fine and that it is running Windows XP Professional. What could be some causes of this?

The answer to this question on ANY exam, unless it's stated in the question:

Check the patch cable to make sure it's plugged in.

the cause could be that...

0) The previously stated answer

1) The NIC drivers are not installed or the adapter is disabled

2) TCP/IP is not enabled for the adapter

3) The machine is configured to use a static IP

4) The NIC is not syncing at a compatible speed (IE set to sync at 100mbit full duplex on 10mbit half duplex hardware)

5) It's out of IPs?

6) im sure there are more...

My first step in troubleshooting this problem, assuming the NIC and drivers are already installed, would be to check for a link light on the NIC and the hub/switch that it's conencted to. This would rule out #0.

Next is to reinstall the NIC, this will restore all of its network settings to default and should install TCP/IP if it's not all ready installed.

if still not working, double check TCP/IP settings... double check that the DHCP server is still active... that you're allowed to grab IP's... try specifying an IP... etc

the cause could be that...  

0) The previously stated answer

1) The NIC drivers are not installed or the adapter is disabled

2) TCP/IP is not enabled for the adapter

3) The machine is configured to use a static IP

4) The NIC is not syncing at a compatible speed (IE set to sync at 100mbit full duplex on 10mbit half duplex hardware)

5) It's out of IPs?

6) im sure there are more...

My first step in troubleshooting this problem, assuming the NIC and drivers are already installed, would be to check for a link light on the NIC and the hub/switch that it's conencted to. This would rule out #0.  

Next is to reinstall the NIC, this will restore all of its network settings to default and should install TCP/IP if it's not all ready installed.

if still not working, double check TCP/IP settings... double check that the DHCP server is still active... that you're allowed to grab IP's...  try specifying an IP... etc

opps.. im too slow :oops: