Davin

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9

well , they ok'd my RMA.

They said that the access times were definitely poor, so something must be wrong.

Sounds great right?!

Except 10 minutes after i get off the phone i do a reboot on my machine and the other drive is now no longer seen by the bios nor does it spin up!

so back on the phone RMA #2 in 20 minutes......

It isnt even Monday!!!!!!

:blink:

holy CRAP!!!

Got one of my drives yesterday...second one will be here today!!

Not bad......... under 48hours from phone call to receipt of new drive (around 43 hours actually) and i am in Canada.

Thats why i have always used Maxtors.......

:D

Too add my experiences, I just had a 120GB drive fail with a bunch of bad sectors or something that the drive could not work around. The drive was purchased in February. I went for the "advanced" replacement option. I received a rebuilt drive from Maxtor. To make me feel better though, it is a 160 GB drive. From all the numbers on the case, it is a 80GB, 2 platter drive. It was rebuilt in October.

This is the first time I've had a drive fail in the middle of its life like that. I've had defective on arrival and failures after 5 years. But this is the first time in the middle. Judging from the survey, this model drive has reliability problems.

These are the three modes:

/off - Turns Acoustic Management off, the drive operates at normal acoustic levels

/quiet - Quietest seeks, the speed of the seek operation is reduced to its lowest level to provide the quietest operations, this level has the most impact on drive performance.

/fast - Fastest seeks, the speed of the seek operation is reduced to provide quieter operation with the least amount of impact on the drive performance

The DM+9 drives come with the latter setting, ON but fast. Has anyone run any tests to see how much of a difference moving it to OFF makes?

Yes, you have to set your BIOS temporarily to compatibility mode in order for that utility to see SATA drives.

It still might be worthwhile running some tests to see the difference between /off and /fast.

i have the 80GB 2mb version, model 6Y080L0, with firmware YAR41BW0(meaning that i have the 80GB platter)

I also have a 40GB DiamondMax 8 for my older computer and that thing is silent, in order to hear, u have to put ur ear against the case.

80GB is opposite...it's as noisy as my 8.4GB Fireball CR. So i got IBM's acoustic management program, and the drive has it off(relieved since if it was on, i could not imagine how much louder it can get). The program has values from some number to 254. larger value means louder and faster seeking time. It was set to 254, so i turned it to 253 and the drive was silent over the 2 80mm fan that i have.

I used HD Tach for some testing and it shows my random access time to be 19.4ms, while before in the loud mode, it had 13.7ms or so.

I have 2 questions:

1. When ppl refer this drive to be quiet, r u refering to the fact that it doesn't whine like WD? Or when it is reading and writing?

2. Just by changing the number down by one(it's in hex), the drive added around 6ms to the seek time. This did not happen to my 40GB when i tried it. Can i really trust HD Tach's result? Seeing that i got around what storagereview got, i'd assume it's correct, but 20ms seems really excess for me...if i turn it all the way down, wouldn't my seek go to like 30ms :P

Out of curiosity, why aren't you using Maxtor's acoustic management program on your Maxtor drive? Who knows if those range of numbers you see with the IBM utility are even applicable to Maxtor, which as you see further up this thread has three modes only. What you did is probably put it in "quiet" mode from the default "fast."

It's my understanding that these utilities reduce the activity seek noises not the overall spin or hum. I don't know if HDTach is accurate at all or an appropriate benchmark for this task. With my two Maxtor's, a 200GB SATA and a 160GB PATA (both DM9+), the former measured 19.5 and the latter 17.5 with the default "fast" mode (which is not "off" and not "quiet" but in between).

i've read in some forum that the IBM acoustic management works on the maxtor drives also.

to prove this point

i've used the amset also from maxtor

when it is set to fast, the hex value is at 254(also the highest number for IBM if selected as enabled with specific value)

when it is set to quiet, the hex value is at 192(also the recommended value of enabled in IBM's software)

if i turn it off with amset, IBM detect acoustic management of the drive to be disabled.

Since the IBM software can detect the maxtor drive and show all the info, such as serial, firmwire, smart, acoustic management, i'd say it shouldn't have a problem

I just can't find the forum where ppl were recommending to use this software, or else i'd post the url.

the value in IBM goes from 128-254 if enabled.

I've set it to 128, the quietest mode and did sisoft test

transfer rate is around the same, only around 200 kb difference from disabled

the random read is also identical...but hdtach's random access has it at around 20ms instead of 13ms...

Another poster here on SR (with a much deeper understanding of how such code works ;)) commented that while AM software follows standards, it is up to the individual HDD firm to determine which range of values corresponds to which levels of performance/noise.

well, i have tested both settings

such as having amset set to quiet and IBM set to 192, the result was the same.

It doesn't really matter anymore, i've added insulation and the drive has quiet down quite a bit, no need to use acoustic management.

Is this right or is it guesswork?

1) 6Y160P0 (Sep 2003), Firmware YAR41BW0, Serial Y4...

Therefore 4 heads, 2 platters each 80GB

2) 6Y200M0 (Sep 2003), Firmware YAR51BW0, Serial Y6...

Therefore 6 heads, 3 platters each 68GB

The reason I'm interested in this is I'm trying to figure out why the latter drive runs warmer. More platters/heads, I guess, would explain it.

..all are different from mine, which one do I own?

The lowest STR according to the review was above 53/33 MB/sec. My drive only runs at 50/25MB/sec. Doesn't fit into the SR measured categories in any way. Also, I only get 11 points in h2benchw, against 15 measured in this article http://www.hardware.fr/articles/448/page8.html. Any ideas?

This is model 6Y120P0, 120GB, 8MB cache, bought last december.

Measured on both Epox 8KHA+ (VIA KT266A, Windows 2000/Linux, Athlon 1800+) and Epox 8RDA+ (Nvidia Nforce2, Windows XP, Athlon 2400+), no differences due to platform.

Kimmo

I have exactly the same problem.

I just bought 6Y120P0 120 GB, 80 GB platter version, and it seems much slower, than the reviews shows.

The performance is about 49/22 (41 Mb average) with some quick tests with AIDA, however HDtach shows 54/11 (36.5 Mb average).

Measured on Abit NF7-S v2.0, latest bios (Nvidia Nforce2, Windows XP+SP1, Athlon 1700+)

Is the performance/quality of this model so poor or my drive is faulty?

Could someone try a test with AIDA disk benchmark (in menu open Plugin/Disk benchmark)?

AIDA sysinfo tool

You can download it here: AIDA Personal (freeware)

I would be curious what results others get.

Thanks,

klor

Strange thing is, I've always kept AAM off on all of my drives. I don't find any of my DiamondMax 9 drives loud at all. They're barely audible (even when I test with a USB to IDE adapter which leaves the drive unenclosed).

I have to disagree with the D740X comparison; I like the new DiamondMax 9 series a lot more, partly because they switched to FDBs; my old D740X's are pretty audible, even when mounted in a case. The idling produces a high pitched whirr only a few months after continouous usage. I haven't had any drives failing from Maxtor yet and I've purchased 3 x 6Y120L0s, 2 x 6Y120P0s, 1x 6Y200P0, 1x 7Y250P0, 2x D740X 80GBs in the past 2 years. One of my 6Y120P0 seems to not spin up occasionally and recently it froze shortly after booting up so I moved it out of normal use. But I've run the PowerMax utility with the Standard and Advanced Test, and everything seems to be fine. There used to be a light pitched screech during seek but it seems to have disappeared too.

Overall I'm more happy with Maxtor than with any other HDD company I've used. My 20GB ATA66 Maxtor still runs today with no problems at all after being put in 24/7 usage as my webserver's system drive since 1998.

J-Frog:

Cool, you have a "D740X 80gb with FDB"? do you mind posting a picture of the drive? I'd love to see them because I've never heard of Maxtor making them before.

Maybe I'm just ignorant though :lol:

J-Frog:

Cool, you have a "D740X 80gb with FDB"? do you mind posting a picture of the drive? I'd love to see them because I've never heard of Maxtor making them before.

Maybe I'm just ignorant though  :lol:

Gimme time to pull out the drive and capture it :)

I'm awaiting a DM+9 60gb.  I'll post my impressions here :)

Wow! This drive is QUIET! The silent fan in the computer is louder than the drive at idle. Of course, I can hear the seeks, but it doesn't whine annoyingly like my WD200BB did. I've never heard such a quiet drive before.