Davin

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9

I guess it must be either the pwer supply or more likely the molex connector/wires that you are using to connect the drive. How about trying a different molex drive power cable ?

moogy: except the incident I have alread mentioned (and that might not be Maxtor issue at all) I did not encountered any problems with Maxtor drive. Mostly I have had Quantum drives before Quantum was absorbed by Maxtor so I naturally moved to Maxtor (which basically replaced their our drives with Quantum line).

Over 5 years I have had (except one WD which was pain) two Quantums (8GB, 20GB), 4 Maxtors (Diamond Max 40 Plus, D740X, now Diamond Max 9) and never encountered any problem with them. I however buy usually top of the line products (avaliable in that time) so my experience is slightly biased. Except the noise of D740X (which I wrongly assigned to Diamond Max 9 in previous post) I always found them as great performers (in theirs time). All drives I buy/bought come with 3 years warranty.

On the other hand I cannot say anything (good or bad) about other brands since I run completely Maxtor :).

According to a Maxtor rep the second digit of the serial # denotes the number of heads. I think you can get at least an inkling of the platter density from this.

For example: Last week I got two 160 GB Maxtor DM Plus 9s, 8MB cache, model# 6Y106P. The serial numbers are Y60*****. If what the rep says is true, that's 6 heads = 3 platters. Given 160GBs total I must have the 60 or 68 GB platters, rather than two 80 GB platters. The label says these were made Feb 13 2003.

Incidentally, I bought these drives to address the hellishly loud idle noise of two Western Digital 120GB SEs. The Maxtors are far quieter at idle and I don't find the seeks particularly obtrusive. Isolation-mounting them on some rubber pads fixed a noticable vibrational pulse in my case. I'm happy with these drives, even if they're not of the 80 GB/platter variety. They're cheap (~$1/MB), as quiet as a 60 GB Seagate Barracuda IV to my ears, and more or less as fast as the Western Digital SEs. If the Seagate 7200.7 w/8 MB cache can be had for the same money it's the only other drive I'd consider because of the better 3-year warranty.

Re: the above platter math, I realize you may not be able to tell which platters you're getting from the external package, but isn't there a definitive way to determine platter size? Are there any other field marks?

Eugene - how were you able to ID the drives used in your review?

Is there a way to firmware-flash a 60gb or 68-gb platter drive to de-short-stroke it?

That way, you win either way - either the drive becomes a 180 or 200gb drive, or you have a 4-head 2-platter drive that's easier on the ears.

I just bought one myself, with a serial Y4089CVE... I intend to upgrade my ReplayTV using this drive, so sheer performace is not necessary, but the quieter it is, the better I sleep :)

I just got a 120G with serial number Y30xxxxxx. Does that mean that it's a 80GB platter with only three sides being used? I can't see how it could add up to 120G if it truly is a 3 head.

I just got a 120G with serial number Y30xxxxxx.  Does that mean that it's a 80GB platter with only three sides being used?  I can't see how it could add up to 120G if it truly is a 3 head.

an 80gb platter consists of two 40gb sides. Each side is serviced by a head (therefore, a single-platter drive will have two heads). 3 heads can service 3 platter sides, then.. Enjoy your 41db drive :)

I want to buy 6Y080P0 , 80Gb with the 8mb and I want to know if it worth it as speed and noise-level. I want to buy a 80gb drive. what is the best one ?

liorer (ah, what a name) - choosing the "best" hard disk is complicated.

The FDB disks don't have the whine that the ball bearing ones do, so most of what you'll hear from the 6Y080P0 is seek noise (those clicking sounds). They also don't seem to get a worse running whine over time, which does happen with many older ball bearing drives that operate 24x7x365.

The least amount of seek noise I've heard from an FDB drive (just my experience) is from the Seagate Barracuda ATA IV. Of course, the low noise also comes with a reduced performance penalty.

The WD SE drives (not FDB AFAIK) usually have a slight whine to them, but less seek noise (subjectively) than the Plus 9 series drives. And, of course, they're generally faster.

Personally, I'm sticking with the FDB drives now. I started with the Segate Barracuda ATA IV 40GB drives and was amazed with how quiet they were, now I'm using a 6Y120P0 (60gb platters) on my home workstation.

According to a Maxtor rep the second digit of the serial # denotes the number of heads. I think you can get at least an inkling of the platter density  from this.

If this is true, I have a 40GB, 2MB, 7200RPM kit (L01J040) that has the following serial #.... E15xxxxx This indicates the drive has one platter. Maybe they are throwing the 80GB platters in these drives...

According to a Maxtor rep the second digit of the serial # denotes the number of heads. I think you can get at least an inkling of the platter density  from this.

If this is true, I have a 40GB, 2MB, 7200RPM kit (L01J040) that has the following serial #.... E15xxxxx This indicates the drive has one platter. Maybe they are throwing the 80GB platters in these drives...

With 40 GBs, You need only one side of the platter. One side is "easier" (better yields) to do than two sides. Most likely the platters in these drives are duds. I mean that all the platters should go to larger models, but during the process the other side of the platter goes bad, and only the other side of the platter can be used. Of course these platters can be used in 120 GB models (one "good" 80 GB platter and one "dud"), or in 200 GB models (two "good" and one "dud).

For 68 GB platters; maybe the inner or outer edge of the platter gets damaged in the process, thus reducing the capacity.

Cheers,

Jan

Ive had a 80Gb (single platter) Maxtor DMPlus 9 since nov 2002 (i ordered the DMPlus16 - noe in stock - so result (bah - runs fukkin hot)) - every HDD i've benchmarked it against (HD Tach) it beats it hands down - ive only got it connected to ATA100 and it motors (my Maxtor ATA33 jobbies gets 13.5Mb/s while the DMPlus9 gets like 48Mb/sec) - sounds about right to me - is 42-53C an acceptable temp for this drive??? - Waz

I dont know what the firmware/manufact date is since I've installed it

already and now I'd need to dig it out [my case isnt the most friendly

thing when installing drives].

When it formatted it formated to about 81G.

80 /3 = 26.67 so this is a bit confusing.

I bought mine Retail not OEM, but I doubt that that matters.

I read the Serial# off the side of the box.

====

Also if I was going to buy another 120g or 80g would you opt for

this series OR the Seagate CudaV that finally has 8MB cache for

us "non-serial ATA" guys.

My main concern is reliability [as I like many others dont backup our

systems]. Thanks.

If mine had 80G plats, I suppose that I'd have a Y20Pxxx serial#.

I dont know if this is good or bad in terms of drive longevity.

80g seems to have had lower yeilds [ie. more problems]

60g is tried and true. [heck I'd suspect that 40G density is safer

than 60G - if you stick to only 1 plater per drive the 40G is more

reliable. Remember the days when 8G drives were the rage, those

IBM 8Gigs were very reliable/quiet/cool beasts in their day].

For reliability:

More platers, means more mechanical parts; that is bad.

80G ariel Density is really tight and I'd expect more error prone

simply due to the density; that is bad.

ok

my 60g - old firmware - 6Y060L0 maxtor has a serial number like "Y2RAT5KE"

does it means that it has 2 heads? and one 60gig platter?

nevertheless, it's running very well,cool and quetly since I bought it in december.

the only one thing that is quite disappointing is it's seek rate performance: only 15ms. my old D740X performs better with 11,8ms.

hovewer, my friend has got a new maxtor 80gig 6Y080L0 with new firmware, and it gets somewhat hot also when inactive. I haven't tested yet performance.

--the next one

I was wondering if I could get your thoughts…

The Abit NF7-S includes ‘Serillel’ adapters, and you can purchase them and also ‘Serillel 2’ adapters for CDROMS etc. I'd like to know how 2 Maxtor DM+9 PATA Drives on Serillels compare to 2 of the real SATAs (the same line of HDs). If there's no difference then this could be a big money saver. I am considering the 80GB versions.

The ‘serillel’ adapters- more info here:

Serillel 1 - http://www.abit.com.tw/abitweb/webjsp/engl...OCNO=en_0208161

Serillel 2 - http://www.abit-usa.com/news/2003/20030425b.php

It just seemed to me that if I could use 2x 6Y080P0 drives on those Serillels in a RAID-0 config then this would be almost the same as running 2x 6Y080M0 SATA natives. I guess there might be a small perf. Drop, but I dunno. This Abit NF7-S v2.0 mobo looks sweet, and I’m pretty sure that is what I will use to run all this. It was reviewed here http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews...F7_v2.0_11.html FYI

Thanks

Dan

The NF7-S Rev2 is a truly excellent motherboard. I'm very happy with mine.

I'm running a new DM+9 80Gb 8Mb on the standard IDE connector, as it's not reliant on the PCI bus.

As for the Seriell widget, there should be no difference in speeds. I'm just running my old WD800AB on the SiL3112 using the widget - it only holds some ISOs and a load of Farscape and Star-Trek episodes, so speed is not an issue.

I'm looking at getting a serial version of this drive to couple with an Asus P4P800Deluxe.

The MA6Y120M0 (120GB SATA) is sweetly priced at the moment compared to the 80 & 160GB versions. Also, the 120GB version (& 180) comes with a 3 year warranty (here, in Australia) whereas the 80GB version only has a 1 year Warranty.

Is the 120GB version a 2 x 60GB platter drive (and the 80GB a single 80GB platter)? Would one be preferable in terms of performance?

Has anyone got the 120GB or does anyone have any comments on whether it's a good drive to buy.

PS. It's only a few dollars more than its PATA counterpart.

Thanks

I have just purchased the 60 GB model - 6Y060L0. For the first 12 hours it ran very good as expected. Then the next day, it refused to boot up, made loud seeking noises, & wasn't even seen by the BIOS. I checked out all power/data connections, & then decided to return it to the retailer as I was convinced that some sort of head/platter crash had occurred. However I thought I would try putting the CS/Slave/Master jumper across other pin combinations hoping that this might reset the drive or something. Well this actually worked, the drive seemed to enter some sort of self-repair mode, which was evidenced by unusual seeking sounds, etc.

Then it went silent. I then reset the jumper to master & it is now working perfectly.

Has anyone else had this experience? Will this happen again? What causes this to happen? I think it may be the HD firmware hanging up due to settings corruption.

Any ideas appreciated,

Thanks.

Strange. But you were lucky it crashed the first day. At least the retailer might give you a new one immediately.

This may seem strange, but I recently purchased 2 Maxtor Diamondplus 9 6Y160PO drives for my Escalade 6200 Raid card to replace 2 WD80 gig drives. Right away one of the Maxtor units was making a horrible clacking/clicking noise. I pulled it off the raid and ran the Powermax 4.06 test on it, it failed the SMART test. I sent it back and got a replacement. The new unit was manufactured this past September vs. last spring for the other. I put it in and a bad sector error came up during formatting to NTSF. I worked around that and began putting video on the drives and the Escalade error monitor went off. I powermaxed the new drive and sure enough it too had failed. A new one is on its way, put i can't help but wonder what is going on with these drives.

Could be bad handling. Are you having them replaced through the vendor or Maxtor? If it's the vendor, maybe you could collect it personally in case it's had handling through their courier/postal service.

i Have 2 80 gig SATA versions and one is about 10-15% slower than the other.

The faster one is very fast (max read speed approaches 65MB/sec).

The slower one also has very poor seek times according to HDTach. Sometimes over 20 ms.

The faster one is more in line with my expectations of 13-14ms.

Until i found this thread i thought that the drive might be failing. Powermax cannot access either drive (i have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe and am using the onboard Sil3112 raid controller).

I originally bought the drives to run raid 0. The overall performance seemed pretty good with 16k stripe size, but seek times were very poor , around 18+ms.

After reading this thread i checked the serial #s on both drives and sure enough one is a 3 head (slower drive) and the other is a 2 head.

I feel a bit ripped off here. Since when do you buy two supposedly identical drives and find out the internals are different?

That is not even the biggest problem (hey i work in a supply environment and substitutions are normal) , the performance delta between the two drives is unacceptable.

I am going to try and RMA the slower 3 head drive and get a matching 2 head so i can get a properly configured raid array set up without having to cripple the fast drive by raiding with a slower drive. That was the whole point of me buying the (supposedly) same make and model of drive.

Me no happy! :angry: