Sign in to follow this  
mackforever

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9, 200GB - 3x67 or 3x80GB platters?

Topic says it all...

For you guys who's got the disk, I guess it's just to see how many heads the disk have:

If it's 6 heads - it's most likely 3x67GB :(

If it's 5 heads - it's most likely 3x80GB (where only one side of the last platter is in use...)

...Anyone...?

See my post here: http://forums.storagereview.net/viewtopic....ighlight=maxtor

Doesn't anyone ever use Search before they post a question ?  :roll:

???

Trust me - I've read a LOT of posts and reviews before I posted this one!

Even yours, but I couldn't find any specific answer. Its more like - "I've read that...I've heard roumers that...etc". Doesn't anyone know for sure?!?

Some people say the 200GB version has 67GB platter - while others claim the opposite; 80GB platters (?)

From what I've seen it's 67GB platters, as shown by the benchmarks... I have heard Maxtor is having problems with 80GB platter capacities, which seems likely.

However, I wouldn't doubt if Maxtor moves from 67->80GB eventually with this product.

From what I've seen it's 67GB platters, as shown by the benchmarks... I have heard Maxtor is having problems with 80GB platter capacities, which seems likely.

However, I wouldn't doubt if Maxtor moves from 67->80GB  eventually with this product.

Yepp - That's my impression too...

Seems like all of the 200GB's out today consists of 67GB platters :/

(Even though some people claim they've got a 200' with 80GB platter)

But it seems kind of strange suiting the Maxtor's top-disk with only 67GB platter when the "nextbest"; 160GB version is suited with 80GB platters...(?)

I wonder when they eventually switch to 80GB platters(?)

Perhaps the disks shipping out as we speak comes with 80GB platters? :)

...anyone heard any roumers regarding the issue...?

(I want some inside information!!!) :D

But it seems kind of strange suiting the Maxtor's top-disk with only 67GB platter when the "nextbest"; 160GB version is suited with 80GB platters...(?)

It's not strange at all. The more disks you have, the harder it is to get the drive to work. With 3 disks, you have to somehow manage to get all 6 heads functioning at 80 GB/platter performance. With 2 disks, you only have to get 4 heads working.

...anyone heard any roumers regarding the issue...?

(I want some inside information!!!)  :D

And the ones with inside information probably value their jobs (or have NDA's in place) that prevent them sharing such information in public. ;)

I think the only thing anyone can confirm is the HDD makers are working on getting 80 GB/platter working for the higher platter counts. It's anyone's guess when it'll actually happen, though.