Sign in to follow this  
tempus

What is the current Maxtor hard drive warranty?

I heard that hard drive manufacturers have reduced the warranties on their drives. Have Maxtor followed this lead?

This is what I've heard around here.

OEM (white box) drives have a 1 year warranty.

Retail box drives from places like CompUSA have a 2 year warranty.

Enterprise class drives like the Maxline 300GB unit have a 3 year warranty.

Anyone, feel free to correct me.

As shown in the link:

Maxtor Fireball™, DiamondMax® and DiamondMax Plus ATA drives will carry a Standard Warranty Period of 1 year.

Maxtor MaXLine™ ATA premium drives will carry a Standard Warranty Period of 3 years.

Maxtor Atlas™ SCSI drives will carry with a Standard Warranty Period of 5 years.

This is what I've heard around here.

OEM (white box) drives have a 1 year warranty.

Retail box drives from places like CompUSA have a 2 year warranty.

Enterprise class drives like the Maxline 300GB unit have a 3 year warranty.

Anyone, feel free to correct me.

Small correction - retail-box drives that state "3 Year Warranty" on the box, (supposedly) do have a 3-year warranty. I know that if they don't, I'm going to raise hell with Maxtor, because I bought one in a retail box (at CompUSA) that stated such. Then again, the box also claimed an "access time" of "< 9.1 ms". At least to me, access time is not just seek time, but also includes latency, and is empirically measurable. I was slightly disappointed to find out that the true numbers are closer to 12.8-13.0ms, but I guess my expectations that access time for a modern IDE drive to be that low, were a bit unrealistic. I look forward to the WD 10K RPM SATA drive reviews to see how those drives score in that area.

See my comments on the warranty. I'd like to add that my local vendor sells Maxtor drives with 2-year warranty, and they sell only bare drives (no retail boxes/stuff). Maybe the importer offers them the 2-year warranty.

Cheers,

Jan

I just bought a pair of Maxtors from HyperMicro. They came with a two-year manufacturer's warranty, although they list them as having only one.