Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Your opinions on Partition Magic 8

I would like to do a dual boot and screwed up my new install of Win2K by not creating a partition for the other OS. What do you think of this product to help me get this task done? I spent several hours installing all my stuff and would like to avoid a reinstall, so soon . . .

Noel

a bit out of topic: When you're using Partition Magic 8, use the DEFAULT cluster size for NTFS, or anything = 4096 or smaller. I tried 16k, and it keeps crashing within Windows XP.

I just spent the $ to get PM 8 last week. Pretty finicky and doesn't always work.

Bad experience #1: I installed a second copy of W2k on a new drive and decided to move and expand the W2k partition on my old drive. PM 8 reported an error with the partition and boot files and offered to fix it for me. I agreed only to find that PM 8 trashed my previous installation of W2k.

Bad experience #2: I installed PM 8 twice on two different partitions. Both times, PM 8 offered to create 2 emergency boot disks for me. And both times, when I needed them, neither set worked.

I don't know... I had an overall good experience with PM 4; PM 8 so far has let me down. I will still use it to set up and rearrange partitions, but I will never again use it on partitions with important data without backing up first (never had problems before with PM 4 trashing data).