Sign in to follow this  
tripwire

Buying WD1200JB now, what platters will I get?

Since my OS drive is failing deluxe on me (IBM 60GXP *cough*), I'm in need of a new drive now. When I'm going to buy a WD1200JB, how high are the chances that I get the 60gb platter version? I want to buy the WD1200JB because of the server bench results compared to the WD2000JB. But if I get the 60gb platter version I'm assuming that these benches drop to the level of the WD2000JB, or am I wrong with this assumption?

Thanks for any help.

On the big white label on the drive you will see printed "Drive Parameters".

the "old" model has Drive Parameters: LBA 234375000

the latest model has Drive Parameters: LBA 234442000

That's rounded off.

It may actually say 234441648 on the new model.

Look at the pic of the 200GB they have here in the review, If your WD1200 looks like the same face plate used on the 200 then you have a 60GB platter, I have gone through 5 of these drives and all were the 40GB platters, Dates ranging from oct to dec of 2002,

On the big white label on the drive you will see printed "Drive Parameters".

the "old" model has Drive Parameters: LBA 234375000

the latest model has Drive Parameters: LBA 234442000

That's rounded off.

It may actually say 234441648 on the new model.

That's some good information. Did you find it online? If not, do you have info on other drives like the 800JB, etc?

i think that was on tom's hardware... but i've seen it posted here on the forums...

if you get a 40gb/platter version, be sure to get one that has a 3 year warranty.. it would really suck to get a 40gb/platter drive and ontop of it only have a 1 year warranty... :cry:

i think that was on tom's hardware... but i've seen it posted here on the forums...

if you get a 40gb/platter version, be sure to get one that has a 3 year warranty.. it would really suck to get a 40gb/platter drive and ontop of it only have a 1 year warranty... :cry:

Blake, all WD JB's have 3-year warranty, unless You buy it "real cheap" from an OEM... The warranty could still be three years, if the OEM gives the warranty.

Jan

oh, duh. Sorry.

I was thinking about my 1200BB model i bought... and got side tracked.

(See The Drive Parameters Section on Label)

Old

wd-old.jpg

New

wd-new.jpg

Yes I believe I got the original heads up from Toms.

It would also be known as "User Sectors Per Drive."

However I don't have any specs for other drives.

soooo..... what would one do if they were looking for a 800JB with 80GB platter?

can you tell from the outside of the box? i.e. can i tell IN the store?

thanks,

men$an

Uh, the posted pictures showed drives of the same model family. Notice how the serial number prefixes are identical?

But, have you look at the LBA #?

AFAIK, the model configurations are different if the serial number prefixes are different. Thus, the pictures indicate two drives of different vintage, but the same family (i.e. 40 GB/platter). Maybe the newer ones use a slightly different formatting scheme to account for the different LBA #?

In the reading I have done this IS the mistake that WD made to make it so hard to tell which is which. And what made it necessary to rely on something else (LBA) to tell them apart.

These appear to have been mfg a month apart and while the s/n's are in sequence I see the second half of the "model" number uses a different scheme. I don't know what this means but may this is part of the solution.

They had to have a dividing line somewhere and I doubt they really wanted people to know about the "new and improved" version until the stockpile of the first run drives were sold.

Look at it from WD's standpoint. They likely track drives using the bar code, not the LBA number. I doubt the latter is even something that's embedded in the bar code information. Model number, yes. Configuration, yes. Part tracking? Yes. LBA? I doubt it. There really isn't much reason to do so.

As for the suffix on the model number, I read somewhere that -00 vs. -75 just differentiates OEM vs. retail (don't know which was which). Weren't the first WD1200JB drives -75CRA0 or something? I think that's what mine says, anyway.

How about someone just contact WD support and ask? I would think it'd be better than all of us theorizing here. Better yet, if someone has the drives in question, run a bench and see if it's a 40 GB/platter or a 60 GB/platter drive. :)