Sign in to follow this  
dee

Which 80GB ide drive

I'm looking to get a new 80GB ide drive & would like advise.

I've looked through the database, but it seems to be looking at the big drives only. I've always thought the big drives were essentially the small ones + some extra platters & so the reviews should hold across the range. However the WD1200JB review shows different figures to the WD2000JB review so is this not then the case?

I've had an IBM 120GXP in the past & that was fine noise-wise so anything around that noise lever would be ok. I'd rather not go for an v. quiet drive (i.e. Barracuda V) if it will mean a noticeable performance drop - is this actually the case?

I've looked through the database, but it seems to be looking at the big drives only. I've always thought the big drives were essentially the small ones + some extra platters & so the reviews should hold across the range. However the WD1200JB review shows different figures to the WD2000JB review so is this not then the case?

If the big drives use the same platter densities as those of the smaller drives, then yes, the reviews should hold across the range.

The wrinkle happens when you mix areal densities. For example, the 1200JB Eugene reviewed used 40 GB/platter disks. The 2000JB uses 66 GB/platter disks. The latter will have a higher transfer rate due to its higher areal density.

From what I've read, there are two main choices: Maxtor 6Y080P0 or Western Digital 800JB. The Maxtor drive benches a little faster, but the WD has a 3 year warranty(Maxtor has 1 year warranty).

Personally, I went with the 800JB.

From what I've read, there are two main choices: Maxtor 6Y080P0 or Western Digital 800JB. The Maxtor drive benches a little faster, but the WD has a 3 year warranty(Maxtor has 1 year warranty).

Personally, I went with the 800JB.

Could someone confirm this Please! On the Maxtor's Box said 3 Years Warranty and some said it's 1 years warranty? Which's correct? Though I'm using mostly Western Digital JBs and some Maxtors with 8 MB Cache and some are IBM 180GXPs. I know I've got 3 years warranty on those WD JBs & IBM 180GXP 180GB, But what about Maxtor :?:

I Read most of the posted here on SR. and I still confused about Maxtor's warranty and model's line up. :evil: I called Maxtor's and even them gave me difference answers from difference person whom ever answer the phone. Now that's real confusing???

From Maxtor.com's Warranty At- A-Glance:

Effective October 1, 2002, Maxtor branded retail ATA drives will carry a Standard Warranty Period of 1 year, unless otherwise indicated by Maxtor on the retail packaging.

So if the package has a notion of 2-year or 3-year warranty it will have longer warranty. You can also check the length of warranty period & warranty status from here, but You'll need to see the drive as You'll need the S/Ns from the sticker on the drive.

If You want to play it safe, try to make a deal with the shop/dealer about returning the drive, if the period is the standard one year. Or suggest that You'd want to check the status in the shop at time of purchase.

Cheers,

Jan