Sign in to follow this  
conker64

WD1200JB vs. Seagate 120GB 8MB Cache

Which one of these is the better one in terms of performance/reliability?

seein as the Seaate has only 1yr warranty, would this be a proble compared to WDs 3yr?

should i wait for the WD to be ordered rather than buying the seagate?

or is the seagate just as good?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

wheres the edit button?

sorry bout the spelling...

Which one of these is the better one in terms of performance/reliability?

seeing as the Seaate has only 1yr warranty, would this be a problem compared to WDs 3yr?

should i wait for the WD to be ordered rather than buying the seagate?

or is the seagate just as good?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Performance : WD1200JB is better. Check the database for more info.

A 3 year warranty is a nice advantage.

Seagate's drive require a S-ATA controller.

I can't tell you abour reliability. I've heard of drives of both brand failing, but it does not seem dramatic.

Noise : Seagate has the edge here. The Cuda V drive is almost silent. But you have not mentionned this so i suppose it's not important.

Bottom line : Buy the WD1200JB. It has better performance and a 3 year warranty, and does not require un S-ATA controller.

i'm sure there are two versions

one's ata, one's sata

i'll be getting the ata one...

wat about WD's reliability?

with all those clicking problems?

the seagates' reliability is wat im primarily concerned about.

i've never used seagates before.

the noise isn't tooo much of an issue(unless it's beyond a reasonable level), altho the quietness is a bonus.

Get the WD...

I have traditionally use Seagate for SCSI drives only and Western Digital for ATA. However the new Seagate ATA drive is the SATA Drive with a differant translation pcb. I have had three SATA Drives on order through Techdata for an ISD in Texas. They are heavly back ordered.

All Serial ATA Drives are few and far betreen...

There is an ATA version of the 120 GB Seagate Barracuda ATA V, but I'm not sure whether it comes in an 8 MB cache version or only 2 MB.

For my application, I am getting both -- one Barracuda ATA V and two WD1200JBs -- for a RAID 1 array with one of the WD1200JBs a hot spare. With all the talk about ATA disk crashes these days, I think it's best to combine different manufacturers' drives in RAID 1 or RAID 5 to protect oneself. Two drives from the same manufacturer, e.g. IBM 60GXPs, have been known to fail at the same time, so don't put all your eggs in one basket.

My hardware RAID controller (Adaptec 2400A) has 128 MB of cache, so whether each individual drive has 8 MB or 2 MB of cache will make little to no difference in performance.

The WD1200JB does have an edge in performance, and a 3-year warranty, but Seagate has the edge in reliability historically, despite only a 1-year warranty for the 120 GB Barracuda ATA V. Of course past performance does not guarantee future results, so read StorageReview carefully before you invest.

If you are thinking about RAID 1, RAID 1+0, or RAID 5, and are concerned with data protection, get both. Diversity is the key, just as in investing. If you are on a tight budget and can only afford one of the drives, get the WD1200JB and make frequent backups (at least once a month). That's called data loss averaging. :lol: