Sign in to follow this  
str8eiht

That old clicking feeling!

Have got the following SCSI Setup

Cheetah 15XL - ST318452LC - U160 15K SCA 18 GB

Cheetah 18XL - ST39204LC - U160 10K SCA - 9.1 GB

Attached to a LSI MegaRaid 500 Ultra160 RAID HBA.

The Cheetah 15XL runs on it's own, no raid here. While the PC is powered on regardless of whether the disk is being accessed it makes a lil' clicking noise, not quite like the IBM deskstar *click of death* but noticable enuf 2 be concerting. It sounds much like a clock, tick, tick, tick etc. It does however work totally fine, benchmarks and day-2-day operation are fine. I just don't want it go legs up on me!

Called seagate ts and they said and I quote;

"Well either it's good or it's bad, either you RMA it or you don't"

Kind of like Mr. Blonde's speech in Resevoir Dogs! Rad! Well not 4 me anyway. I bought the disk used, so if i RMA it I know that I will get a "factory refurbished" disk but that's cool I guess. Should I do it. The other disk I have is COMPLEATALY silent, this is the 4th seagate scsi disk i've had the others would make louder chattering noises during operation but not all the time. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Owen

The occasional clicking is normal for an X15. They do thermal re-calibrations on a regular basis (regardless of being accessed) to adjust for any thermal expansion/contraction. Check out the "Martians" threads: It has been commented upon many times here

Have you ran the seagate diagnostics tools on the drives?

The sound is caused by the rocker arm returning to home possition and the photo-optic not seeing it return. This can be caused by everything from low voltage, voltage spikes, optic going bad, dust inside the drive, etc...

The tool above can record these errors for you. however I do not know if it will work on a raid 0 or 5 drive with out drestroying the data structure.

I know Mylex is a great raid card though.

Can someone provide a wave/mp3 file with the Martians for me to hear?

I'm very curious cause such a great deal of people have said it sounds damn right like Martians chatting... :roll:

You think you have it bad?

One of my IDE drive power connectors is kinda loose i think, and get random restating, sorta liek it about to spin down , but instanting starts up again, tried fixing it but cant pinpoint the exact cable.

Then in my other case where i connected a external relay, to power up another Power Supply, so it turns on as my main one does. (My cheap attempt at a Fibre channel enclosure), well when two of my 36LP 10K seagates Fibre drives spin up, they give me a beeep sound, not sure if that's normal. But it sounds like it is. Then my IBM/Hitachi 73LZX Fibre drive every so often makes a squeek/squeel/moaning type sound, but im guessing this is also normal accorign to the FAQ section on their site, but doesnt say what it sounds like. Then i have 4 more 36LZX and those are just plain ass loud, and a MAN3367 10K Fibre on the way.

All SCSI cheetah drives make clicking sounds most of the time, i have a Seagate Cheetah 18GB 10k RPM (ST318203LW) and it makes clicking noises.

You think you have it bad?

One of my IDE drive power connectors is kinda loose i think, and get random restating, sorta liek it about to spin down , but instanting starts up again, tried fixing it but cant pinpoint the exact cable.

Then in my other case where i connected a external relay, to power up another Power Supply, so it turns on as my main one does. (My cheap attempt at a Fibre channel enclosure), well when two of my 36LP 10K seagates Fibre drives spin up, they give me a beeep sound, not sure if that's normal. But it sounds like it is. Then my IBM/Hitachi 73LZX Fibre drive every so often makes a squeek/squeel/moaning type sound, but im guessing this is also normal accorign to the FAQ section on their site, but doesnt say what it sounds like. Then i have 4 more 36LZX and those are just plain ass loud, and a MAN3367 10K Fibre on the way.

Dont worry, that's completely normal.

Excellent advice! Thanks all who responded. Just got home from work will check out that other thread, and respond accordingly. Thanks again. This forum is top notch.

8)