Sign in to follow this  
Gooch

New Build, need help with RAID

Howdy gang!

I am building a new system, it will be an Intel 2.8 or 3.06, I am having problems deciding what Motherboard to buy. Here is a short list of what i have already, Lian Li case, WD 120g HD and Sony DRU500a DVD burner,,...this is all that will be used in this new build. In order to give you some insite I am into ripping and burning DVD's and play alot of games online. Ok, here come the questions.........

1. Should I buy 2 WD800jd's and RAID or just 1 drive and not set the RAID up.....I dont want to sacrifice stability for performance.

2. Motherboard? even if I dont do RAID I would like a raid board I think because I would need no controller card, I like my dvdrom and dvd burner on the primary and secondary.

3. RAM? I was thinking 2 sticks of 512 of a good quality ram.

Please feel free to make any suggestions that you feel would make this a good system and explain why.

Thank you for taking time to help me out!

Guest russofris

1: Just go for a single drive. Ripping, burning, and gaming are not reasons to go with RAID 0.

2: The current generation of MB's is absolute crap. Many P4T533's have problems as do the new Abit boards (TH2?)

3: RAM.... This is dependant on the MB you buy. If it is a dual channel DDR MB, obviously you would get 2 sticks. One recommendation that I do have is that you only buy RAM which is Certified for your MB. You will have less headaches because of this, but will pay a 20% premium.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

Are you sure you're gonna need more than 512MB RAM Gooch? OK, it's not so terribly expensive but you might give that money somewhere else.

yes, I want to be able to multi task when burning dvd's or using winrar.

I have 2 sticks of 256mb of crucial pc133 ram running winxp and I have never had a problem using winrar and burning cd while editing a photoshop files plus listening to winamp.

I think that I would follow Prof Wizard idea of getting just 1 quality stick of ram and save the money up front

I do a lot of DVD ripping with Nandub www.doom9.org

I am using 2 IBM 45gb, 2 WD 120jb on an Adaptec 2400a.

The drive speed does nothing for you in ripping or writing DVD's only if you are doing run time video capture.

The motherboard chip set i suggest is Intel® 845GE, 845PE and 845GV Chipsets for home users (due to the Hyper-Threading Technology advantages).

Go with one memory dimm unless your board supports interleving and never mix memory unless they are from the same PCB and Dram chips.

I hope this helps some.