Sign in to follow this  
dutd33

Good deals?

Someone on another bulletin board posted this and I am quite interested. What do you guys think?

Fs: Dell P4 & P3 Cheapie Systems

Dell Optiplex GX150

Pentium III 1000Mhz

256M SD-RAM PC133

20G 7,200R HD

Intel Video

Intel Sound

Floppy

3Com 10/100 Nic

Samsung 48x Cd-Rom

Dell "no screw" Case

Keyboard

Optical Mouse

$375

or

Dell Optiplex GX240

Pentium 4 1.5Ghz

256 SDRAM PC133

20G 7,200R HD

ATI Rage 128 Pro Ultra GL

Samsung 48x Cd-Rom

Floppy

Intel AC'97 Sound

3Com 10/100 Nic

Dell "no screw" case

Keyboard

Optical Mouse

$450

looks good to me. Although I'd never use one as my "main" rig (I take too much pride in my custom systems) I have nothing particulary bad to say.

I use a Dell GX 150 at work. It's okay. Pretty quiet really. The CDRom botton on the front is prone to fail. It's okay. My personal laptop is miles better, but we're not allowed to use non-company equipment on the network due to security / virus concerns.

Numerous colleagues have the GX240. These are standard corporate boxes. Again decent, but certainly nothing fantastic. The old PC133 ram and old chipsets are a real turnoff for me.

I think I would prefer this system:

- Asus A7V266-E KT266A mobo w/ built-in LAN, 6 channel sound, GeForce 2 3D graphics -  $71.99 

- AMD Athlon XP 1700+ Thoroughbred - $53.00

- Samsung 2 x 128MB (256M total) 16x64 PC-2100 DDR RAM - $52.00

- WESTERN DIGITAL HD 20GB 7200RPM #WD200BB - $66.00

- INWIN MICRO ATX MINI TOWER CASE (Gray), MODEL IW-L545P.180GUF2 - $37.00 

- Lite On 52x Cd Rom Model LTN-526 -$24.00 

- Fan / Cooling Device - CPU  VANTEC VA4-C7040 - $33.00 

- SONY 1.44MB 3.5 INCH INTERNAL FDD DRIVE - OEM - $8.00 

Grand Total » $ 344.99  

All parts and prices from NewEgg.com, of course.

It has better graphics, better sound, better memory, better processor, better CPU cooler, even a better case. I happen to know those parts work together, as I use almost that exact system as my Linux box...(if you build it, use the Vantec cooler specified, as it is one of the few that fits that case/mobo combo well).

Future Shock

I am by no means an apologist for Dell, but the single thing I will say, to their credit, their PCs are very, very quiet.

Through a combination of luck and massive numbers of rebates, I managed to snag one of the $170 (including the shipping and the 17" CRT) 2.4GHz machines they offered to teachers back in December. I'd ordinarily never buy a Dell, but if they're going to be so stupid as to GIVE me one (er, practically give), I'll give it a home.

I wasn't impressed by much of anything about the machine, despite the fact that it SHOULD be a nice mid-range system (it's kind of a slug, and that was after I replaced the stock 5400rpm drive with a 740X), but boy, it doesn't make much noise.

OK, so I guess that's two things for Dell: coupons that can border on "stupid" at times (I had $700 in rebates!), and really, really quiet computers.

I just can't justify buying a Dell 99% of the time - I or Future Shock or CougTek can pretty much always do better... our stuff will be better quality and probably better supported, truth be told (*my* restore system beats the hell out of "zztop.bat").

MY APOLOGIES:

I made a cut and paste mistake when I speced the above system. All pieces are correct EXCEPT the motherboard, which should be:

- Asus A7N266-VM AA (AMD Assured Version) NVIDIA nFORCE 220 Chipset 266/200MHz FSB Motherboard Micro ATX- FSB:266/200 MHz 

2 DIMM sockets support max. 1GB unbuffered PC2100/1600 non-ECC RAM Slots:3x PCI 1xAGP - $71.99

Doesn't really change the price, but the difference is important, as this is the board that has onboard graphics, LAN, and sound, and is the one that I use as well. Again, my oops...

Future Shock

no props mercutio? ;)

Honold configures systems so cheap that the parts suppliers pay him!

Satisfied, Justin?

lol,

Future Shock

Well, recently some very good deals have been available at Dell - esp. if you know how to get them. My brother and a friend recently bought 2ghz Celeron, 256meg ddr, cdrw, 7200 rpm 30gig systems (sans monitor) for about $350 after rebate. IMO this would be preferable to those systems. Both are very happy. If you want to go new Dell, there are a couple of deal sites I would keep an eye on: gotapex.com & techbargains.com. Both tend to list Dell specials frequently. But, of course, there are other makers! I hear some are getting some good made to order deals on Compaqs at Staples online, but I haven't checked it out myself.