Sign in to follow this  
dutd33

Simple question for assignment: decreasing response time

I was wondering, if I had a dual-processor system, or perhaps even an n-processor system (where n => 2), wouldn't a process be completed faster (i.e. response time decreased) on that n-processor system when compared to the same process on a single-processor system? I mean, is it possible for the process to be split up and worked on by the n-processors?

I am writing this because I had an argument with a proff. about this last week, thanks!

Depends the processing task. Not all applications can take advantage of dual processing.

It depends on if the application/process and the OS are multi-threaded or not. If either are not then you will not get any benefit for multiple processors. W95/98/ME are not multi-threaded so tthere you will not gain performance with multiple processors. Also many applications are not created with multiple threads and thereby will never be split amoung multiple processors.

If you have an OS/Application that is multi-threaded (like XP, W2k, NT, Linux) and your application/OS is not multi-threaded your performance will actually go down because of the overhead of implementing multithreading when it is not being used