Sign in to follow this  
honold

3ware 7000-2 + 2xwd2000jb mirror, wb99 still sucks bad

I also think it is the 7000-2, I have the same problem with this controller. I posted a thread on this thing several days ago and I was told it was the SCSI "bug" in XP. However XPCacheFilter did not help. Before this controller I had a Highpoint 1520 which did not have this problem, benchmarks were a lot better there (90k/90k r/w) but I had frequent file corruption in Windows XP and linux refused to install with it so I returned it and got this 3ware controller, far more stable but not so good performance.

big note here guys, for the 60th time:

i had the same results on a single wd2000jb running on a promise ata133 card as well as the onboard i850 ide.

that's right, no raid, no 3ware, same crappy results.

Perhaps one (or both) of your drives have issues....you've tested both independently? Or just one? IIRC, the 2 drives in RAID1 will perform as slow as the slowest drive in the array.

ddrueding1:

i just unplugged drive 1 (my original drive) to see if the other one has the problem, and it has the exact same results.

I also just realized that I did the same thing (asking a question to something that has already stated - firmware in my case). :oops:

oops :oops:

This problem is indeed vexing :(

It seems that many of the same questions are coming up over and over.....let's see if we can sum up what the problem isn't:

1. Drives? NO - either both are bad or they aren't the problem.

2. Controller? NO - same problem occured using the onboard controller.

3. OS Install problem? NO - reccured after multiple re-installs

4. Conflict with software? NO - no other apps loaded at the time.

4. Conflict with other hardware?????

i pulled out the other crap

ac97 audio is disabled and i have no onboard lan or raid

agp: abit siluro geforce4 ti4200 64mb

pci: turtle beach santa cruz, intel pro/100s

Guest russofris

Couple things:

Using BIOS ver "BW"?

My final suggestion is to do a WPCREDIT dump of your registers. Then, have someone else with a different 850 chipset motherboard dump theirs. Do a diff between the dumps, and see it the problem is specific to your board's settings.

Unfortunately, there isn't a PCR file for the 850 available yet. I may have time to make one, but I do not have an 850 board to test here.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

Very frustrating :(

I've recently (today) grown much more interested in your findings, as I am on the verge of ordering identical hardware (card and drives) for a nearly identical configuration (single 200GB partition, RAID1). Sorry, but I am a selfish person :oops:

Have you tried moving the drives to a different system? Different MoBo? Perhaps a BIOS upgrade (or downgrade....just different)?

What do your IOMeter scores look like?

never did the drives on another system, i may do that soon (which would also test another mb).

bios upgrade did nothing, and i'm not downgrading.

no idea how to use iometer.

I just want to verify that the plain vanilla test included:

Without Overclock

Removing all PCI cards

Disabling all onboard stuff except controller

INstalling Intel Application Accelerator IDE drivers.

Because it sounds like a PCI bus problem which is either caused by the motherboard or one of the cards installed or perhaps the overclock frying something?

never did the drives on another system, i may do that soon (which would also test another mb).
Didn't you test the original JB on your Gigabyte ?

dude, I have made repeative questions. But I'm trying to follow this through right from the original JB problem you posted a month or so ago. In that you forked the problem over to this thread, in which :

my ultra66 pci won't support the 2000jb, but the maxtor tests faster on it. interestingly enough, the same thing happens on another system here (gigabyte ga-7vtxe kt266 w/latest hyperion 4-in-1 and pci latency patch). anybody have any idea what's going on here?
Perhaps I haven't paid attention and have missed something from the get go, but I have been working under the impression that this is all one connected/related problem: your JB sucked then, your JB sucks now.

CK

i'm beginning to wonder if a new thread is in order :o)

the word 'your' threw me because it's a roommate's system. yes, it was tested on his system, and it sucked there too.

perhaps this firmware rev sucks?

the thread has reached critical mass (>50 posts generally just degrades into guys like me asking the same questions over and over :wink: )

honold, I love your signature in the bottom of your messages. It is kind of magic. I clicked to help and I got a new windows and noticed your "help..." signature so I click to help and I again saw your...and click to help and click to help...I can't help clicking your "help..." signature so I ended up having over a hundred new windows with the same page duh~:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

*admiting I didn't look to see if you've already done this, nor am I going to wade through all the crap above*:

at this point, I would d/l the various drive manufacturers utilities:

Mator's Maxblast, IBM feature tool, Seagate's seatools, whatever WD calls their own

and poke around to see if the JB's left the factory some stupid setting enabled.

otherwise, i think that the firmware is just puking for whatever reason