Sign in to follow this  
honold

3ware 7000-2 + 2xwd2000jb mirror, wb99 still sucks bad

honold,

if you have any other drives to play with, check them out.  as i have mentioned above wd drives do not play well in raid. they are good desktop drives when you do just one drive per channel and don't try anything funny.  you can also confirm this by doing a search on this board for something like "3ware poor performance"

i've mentioned this several times in the thread already, so i guess i can't overstate this enough.

viewers of this thread:

THE PERFORMANCE IS JUST AS BAD WITH A SINGLE DRIVE ON A STANDARD ATA CONTROLLER

i appreciate any insight people have to offer, and i mean no offense. i'm really making that bold just to sidestep even more 'raid 1 isn't performance raid, you know' and 'jbs aren't known for their raid performance' comments

Hanold is very correct. Raid 1 (mirroring) is only dulication write not read.

Also you are using a 3ware Switch that supports raid.

3ware, Escalade 7500-8, Eight Parallel ATA/133 Ports (1 drive/channel), 64-bit/33MHz Full PCI Card, Memory is embedded and 3ware has not responded to my requests for how much memory. I am guessing about 16k total based on a first generation card I have from 3ware.

The point I am trying to make is the DPT crew that started this company when they were aquired by Adaptec was not aiming for High end raid. I hope they release a High end card but the switch technology that they are using supports no inteligent thinking on the part of the card. No NTFS tables stored in memory, no buffering out-side the drive, no through-put caching, etc...

If you want to reduce mirroring load get somehing with an i960 chip and 128mb of ecc memory

Honold,

I am running a RAID1 array in the system in my sig using 2 WD800JBs. Here is a copy of a WB99 run I did recently:

WB_Results_Table.jpg

Also, here is a recent ATTO result, after a bunch of tweaking because I was getting bad READ and WRITE performance versus a single disk.

ATTO_019d.jpg

I suspect based on your observations about the STR performance in WB99 that you may have an INT issue in your system. does the controller share and INT with eiither your video card, sound card or NIC? If it does, I would try to get it not to. Your observations about bad performance on single disk seem to line up with this, although that does not explain the poor performance on your regular IDE controller unless it is on the same INT as well.

tonight i think i'll try switching from acpi to the standard hal

software should be a non-issue; the only stuff running is 3ware's daemon software in the background and (disabled) norton antivirus. i close all other apps before benching.

software should be a non-issue; the only stuff running ...
actually, I was refering to disabling something hardware related that might be causing some bizzare glitch....something akin to this oddity

Also you are using a 3ware Switch that supports raid. 

3ware, Escalade 7500-8, Eight Parallel ATA/133 Ports (1 drive/channel), 64-bit/33MHz Full PCI Card, Memory is embedded and 3ware has not responded to my requests for how much memory. I am guessing about 16k total based on a first generation card I have from 3ware.

Here You go; You have 2 MB cache on your card.

Cheers,

Jan

Holy crap, what an annoying PITA this has turned out to be for you. I guess the only comfort you can take in this is that there are other posts like yours on the net, so I don't believe this is an isolated incident.

BTW, do both the JB's have the same firmware?

CK

smart award goes to 3k3, dumb award goes to me

turning on dynamic disks appears to have solved some of the problem - which is interesting, as xpcachefilter seemed to have no effect.

my atto scores are much better now, but wb99/sandra (just using it as a second opinion) are still on the floor. NOW does anyone have any ideas? :P

forgot to mention i was told to switch to ddisks by 3ware. i had called them in the past on a 6410 and got very hard to understand hints from a very asian tech guy.

this asian tech guy had much better english, and answered the phone promptly.

i'm only posting this to note that their support is good, and more importantly to point out THEIR benchmark tool of choice:

iometer.

he said 'convert to ddisks and then run atto or whatever on it', so they're aware of atto and employ it as well. he said that the test that is actually official with them is iometer.

honold,

I think it's 3Ware 7000+2 you're using that's problems! I've got a few of those WD2000JBs but none look anything like that.

Can you get and try a cheap Highpoint PCI Raid card and try again just to compare? I did have problems with my last 3Ware/WD800JBs awhile back and that the last time I Use 3 ware.

Surprisingly though, High Point HPT374 IDE RAID card did much, much better on Western Digital JBs 8) ( or some of their Rocket Raid cards!)

Take a look at some posted by "Giggy" I think he's finally found out that Highpoint PCI Raid card/ WD JBs works beautifully together :wink:

...Take a look at some posted by "Giggy" I think he's finally found out that Highpoint PCI Raid card/ WD JBs works beautifully together  :wink:
:roll: :roll: Here we go :wink:

Highpoint374 3Xwd 800jbs (I get 100mb with 2Xwd 800jbs)

I got constant 120mb transfer upto 150gig and started to drop afterwards at the first benchmark. 8O

he.GIF