Sign in to follow this  
alphaivt

:) Just bought a Maxtor Atlas 10KIII

bought it from Fry's for $109, good price imo

but... i also bought an Adaptec U160 kit, that rang up $329!!! but i'm just buying this stuff then i'm going to return them.

the problem is here. i know theres a problem with scsi and xp, so i ran atto, and i got real slow scores, 20MB/sec max read and write. then i converted it to dynamic, and my read and writes looked normal (35MB/sec writes, 55MB/sec reads).

I'm going to reutn the Adaptec kit and buy the LSI Logic kit from Hypermicro.com for $90. Will switching controller cards affect the read and write (like, if when i'm using the lsi card, and i get slow read/writes, i'll switch to dynaimc, and when i switch to dynamic, WILL it fix it?)?

Also, is it normal for the drive to make grinding noises when copying files on the drive?

I ran an Atlas 10K II off a DC-390U3W tekram controler and pulled off 33 megs a second write speeds in ATTO. That was with XP Pro and no dynomic disk. I have no idea why you would get 20 megs a second with a 10K III. That sounds like the scores i got when i ran a 10K III of a FirePort 40 (AHA-2940UW) in Windows 2000.