Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LeeM

how long does low level format take on 80gb drive?

9 posts in this topic

Modern IDE drives should not be low level formated (some don't even have the capability to LLF). Use a vendor to re-zero the drive. IBM has DFT, WD has their DLT, and maxtor has their MaxBlast software.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

Well, if SR would let me edit my post I'd edit it to read:

"I just "re-zeroed" an 80GB Barracuda IV before I RMA'ed it. Took about 10 hours."

But I can't edit so I'll have to post this instead.

I just "re-zeroed" an 80GB Barracuda IV before I RAM'ed it. Took about 10 hours.

What software did you use? I cannot imagine a fairly modern 80g drive taking more than an hour to complete a sequential write in udma mode 5.

Free

Re-zeroing my WD1000BB (100GB WD drive) with dd takes, subjectively, about 1-2 hours.

I just "re-zeroed" an 80GB Barracuda IV before I RAM'ed it. Took about 10 hours.

What software did you use? I cannot imagine a fairly modern 80g drive taking more than an hour to complete a sequential write in udma mode 5.

Free

It is entirely possible that the tool that he used was like DFT, where it writes a zero to a sector and then tries to read from it to determine if a sector is bad. A drive with bad sectors will take significantly longer than a good drive with these apps.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

Free

It is entirely possible that the tool that he used was like DFT, where it writes a zero to a sector and then tries to read from it to determine if a sector is bad. A drive with bad sectors will take significantly longer than a good drive with these apps.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

I used Seagates' "Seatools" off a floppy. I was RMAing a brand-new drive that was vibrating like crazy. I don't know if it had any bad sectors or not.

I zero'd a 40GB Quantum FB AS recently, using WD's wdclear, and it took roughly an hour.

CK