Sign in to follow this  
OGCacheMoney

Rounded IDE cables

I have a quick question. What is your opinion of the rounded IDE cable that they sell online, locally, and some motherboard manufactures are even bundling with new boards? I realize that Serial ATA has great heat dissipation qualities, but there are only 4 wires in a Serial ATA cable and there are 80 wires in a UDMA cable.

80 wires compacted like that has to cause some sort of a signal interference, which leads to corrupted data or data loss. On the other hand, the heat dissipation is needed in my system greatly. Any rounded IDE cables users out there?

Actually, the standard IDE cable has 40 signal lines, the other 40 wires are used as dedicated ground wires for each signal wire. You could also twist the pairs to further derease crosstalk between lines.

I'm currently using Akasa rounded cables.

Cheers,

Jan

bump

lol

Just kidding.

I'm using a rounded cable and I just don't understand where you came up with the notion that it causes signal interference.

Use them even though more expensive than flat ones!

When considering rounded IDE cables, be sure to get good quality stuff (twisted pair and all). Cheap rounded cables (possibly even with lengths exceeding the specified ~45 cm) are NOT recommended, they can cause data integrity problems.

I'd like to add that when I said that You could twist the pairs, it's likely that You really don't find any products. CAT5e cable costs roughly 50 cents per meter, and it has only four pairs. So the cable with 40 twisted pairs would cost much more.

If You are buying/using cables that are over 18 inches in length, I suggest that You put the device on the end connector. But don't buy too long cables, as they will clutter your case. Over 18 inch cables are only option if You have a full tower case and want to put devices in the top slots.

Cheers,

Jan

Just a thought:

Even a moderate twist pitch requires far more than 18" of wire to achieve the same overal length as a straight cable. Does that translate into an unfavorable tradeoff between cable length and data integrity?

Piyono

I would check reviews of the particular rounded cable you are looking to use.

Here is one site's review of various rounded IDE cables as related to performance:

http://www.themodfathers.com/article.php?48.0

They basically came to the conclusion that not all rounded cables are equal. All I can add is to be careful in your selection and get one that has some testing published to verify it works okay

Free